Six Cylinder 718 returning.

Gutley

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting... have to wait and see for now as it might be fake news.

If true it could even be for the next generation and not the 718 range as they've already got a GTS. 

Something I can recall in the dim and distant past seems to be saying to me that the chief design engineer (or one of them at least) stated upon the launch of the 718 that it would be all 4-pot motors as the F6 didn't physically fit in. I would imagine that if there were to be a F6 variant, that it would be reserved only for a GT version and normally aspirated at that; the 911 F6 models are now all turbos and those certainly wouldn't fit in the bay of the 718.

The GT4 with a six pot is already running around so a 6 pot will definitely fit. I have also heard talk of a 718T ... maybe this could be it but for me it doesn't quite sit right at that point.

Dave

If it is true it is definitely a middle finger up to everyone who bought the four pot turbo, that’s why I doubt it is completely true.

I read an article earlier about the new GT4 and it mentioned that the 718 was going to be the last Boxster/Cayman with a combustion engine. The replacements will be electric, now there’s a sicking thought....

On 2/6/2019 at 5:39 PM, Menoporsche said:

I can't access the site, not GDPR compliant.  Anyone want to paste the text?

Yes! Porsche to Offer Six-Cylinder Cayman and Boxster Below the GT4

Porsche looks to spread the six-cylinder wealth again.

By:  

For those who want a new 718 Cayman with a six-cylinder but were worried they won’t have the coin for the forthcoming—and as-yet unrevealed—hard-core GT4 variant, we come bearing good news: According to a well-placed source, Porsche will once again offer a six-cylinder engine below the Cayman GT4 and Boxster Spyder line-toppers.

The exact positioning of the new variant wasn’t made explicit, but it could possibly fill the gap between the GTS and GT4/Spyder while offering subtler exterior looks along with a more refined cabin with more sound deadening, additional luxury trimmings, and more comfort-oriented seats than the stripped-out and hard-nosed GT4. In that way, it would be a 718 analog to the 991.2 911 GT3 Touring. There’s also a chance the new model will simply be the next GTS.

2018-Porsche-718-Boxster-GTS-rear-three-

If sixers do make their way into the 718’s general population, we’d love for the 718 Cayman and Boxster S models to ditch their 2.5-liter turbo fours and revert to six-cylinder power. That would leave the torque-rich but aurally unconvincing 2.0-liter turbo-four to the base 718 models and create a more compelling reason for shoppers to upgrade. There are also a number of Porsche aficionados—including one of our own contributors—who remain unmoved by four-cylinder powerplants.

There’s also the question of which six-cylinder will be used. Rumors continue to swirl around the potential for a detuned 4.0-liter from the 991.2 911 GT3 or the current 992 Carrera’s twin-turbo 3.0-liter unit, but our money is on the 3.8-liter flat-six from the 991.1 (2012–2015) 911 Carrera S/GTS and 981 Cayman GT4.

Porsche-718-Cayman-GT4-Clubsport-rear-th

Crucially, the 3.8-liter is the engine found in the recently unveiled 718 GT4 Clubsport race car pictured above, and that model’s predecessor used a 3.8-liter in the exact same spec as its road-car sibling. The new Clubsport’s 420-hp figure is also a reasonable jump over the old GT4, and slots in perfectly underneath the new 911 Carrera S, as did the older car. It’s certainly possible that the GT4 gets the 420-hp version of the engine, with the lower-spec car coming in somewhere around 400. Porsche loves to space out its offerings into thin niches in terms of both power and price.

However the details shake out, we can’t wait to hear a six-cylinder wail in Porsche’s smallest sports cars again.

Personally I think it's BS....it says about slotting a F6 in between the GTS and GT4....so lets get that correct

F4 turbo 2 litre (Box and Cayman)

F4 turbo 2.5 litre (Box and Cayman)

a GTS (also 2.5 turbo) and then (Box and Cayman)

a 3 .? F6 (Box and Cayman)

and then a the GT4 (Cayman)

oh and a Boxster Spyder!!

Nothing else to report that day that they needed to make up the news?

• 3 months later...

"And really, if Porsche was missing anything, it was new model variants. This lineup will allow the 718 buyer to select from base, T, S, GTS, Touring, and Spyder/GT4 models. That should be sufficient, right?"

4 hours ago, TimC said:

It certainly looks like it may be true. If so, I will be first in line!

https://jalopnik.com/six-cylinder-porsche-718-boxster-and-cayman-touring-mod-1834702911

how does that article jump from 'Touring models with different exterior' to being a flat 6?!

more fake news IMO

On 6/4/2019 at 11:16 PM, Stuart21UK said:

how does that article jump from 'Touring models with different exterior' to being a flat 6?!

more fake news IMO

Don’t offer to eat your hat on this Stuart, that is unless you like eating hats!  

1 hour ago, JohnSyn said:

Don’t offer to eat your hat on this Stuart, that is unless you like eating hats!  

That sounds like someone is on the waiting list :D

1 hour ago, JohnSyn said:

15 minutes ago, Jon61 said:

That sounds like someone is on the waiting list :D

He does have form in that area. 😀

hey it might happen (the F6 not the hat eating) but wasnt it just another no news article....so much rubbish media is written nowadays...they take 2000 words to repeat endlessly what could have been said in 20

Archived