Totally godsmacked....

Truth

Its a jungle out there Stewart !  :rolleyes: .  Must admit I looked at the Z4's , a lady at work has a real nice one in the deep sea blue .  Never had a problem with it and she does quite a lot of mileage.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Truth said:

Two plus Two had me starting to look at MX5's for a couple of hours !  :lol: . 

Having come from an MX5 to a 986S I can assure you that MX5's rust infinitely more than any Boxster (986 onwards), whilst we thoroughly enjoyed our MX5 as a 2nd car for over 8yrs, the Boxster is a massive step up... The only thing I wish the Porsche had is the MX5's gear change.

2 hours ago, TV8 said:

I don’t know the car or the owner but there was a lovely looking 986 in the classifieds 

I have seen a couple for sale on here and ideally I would like to buy from an enthusiast.  I REALLY wanted to go and take a look at the Zanzibar Red one sold through here recently but it was >250miles away and the week it was listed was not a good week for me in terms of being able to get there :(  I'm hoping that something else equally appealing will come up at some point in the not too distant future.  The search continues :)

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

Fit an eBay quick shifter or a 987 shifter. Easily and cheaply addressed. 

Yes it's on my list to do, MOT is due in April so will get it done when it's in with the garage for pre test prep. 👍

2 hours ago, Truth said:

Its a jungle out there Stewart !  :rolleyes: .  Must admit I looked at the Z4's , a lady at work has a real nice one in the deep sea blue .  Never had a problem with it and she does quite a lot of mileage.

It certainly is a jungle out there! I've been driving mostly 3 series BMWs in different guises since selling my beloved Porsche 968 Sport about 9yrs ago and must admit they are pretty bloomin' awesome.  My Wife currently has a 2005 E46 330Ci Convertible (so same engine as the Z4 I would also consider) and it's fab!  Yes, it's not particularly modern or fast but it's pretty (to us), sounds lovely on song, handles reasonably well for a 4 seater convertible and doesn't cost a fortune to run (we have a trusty BMW Independent nearby who we have used for years).  I almost bit the bullet on a 2005 3.0 Z4 at the tail end of last year, it was a well sorted one from an enthusiast with perfect spec and looked ideal!  Sadly, whilst chatting to a friend about it he said "how will you feel if a Boxster pulls up next to you whilst you are driving it?"  The answer to that is why I didn't buy the Z4 and have continued looking for the ideal (for me) 986 :)

Good luck in your search mate , the advantage you have over me is you actually seem to have a good knowledge of cars !  :D 

Thats why I am on here ..................  to try and pick up bits of the VAST amount of knowledge knocking about

28 minutes ago, Stewart_H said:

I have seen a couple for sale on here and ideally I would like to buy from an enthusiast.  I REALLY wanted to go and take a look at the Zanzibar Red one sold through here recently but it was >250miles away and the week it was listed was not a good week for me in terms of being able to get there :(  I'm hoping that something else equally appealing will come up at some point in the not too distant future.  The search continues :)

Hi Stewart,

this is the one I was referring to. I do not know the car but love those wheels!

7 minutes ago, TV8 said:

Hi Stewart,

this is the one I was referring to. I do not know the car but love those wheels!

Wow!  That is stunning but sadly over my budget :(  I'm looking to spend £4.5k-£5k.  The Zanzibar Red one looked beautiful and appeared great value for money considering all the work that had been recently completed (clutch, IMS, top mounts, water pump, stainless steel manifolds etc.)

17 hours ago, Truth said:

Just realised I put GoDsmacked intstead of GoBsmacked in the title....... I was suffering from shock 😂

I’d often wondered what those Bible-bashers did, looks like you’ve met some😂

21 minutes ago, Stewart_H said:

Wow!  That is stunning but sadly over my budget :(  I'm looking to spend £4.5k-£5k.  The Zanzibar Red one looked beautiful and appeared great value for money considering all the work that had been recently completed (clutch, IMS, top mounts, water pump, stainless steel manifolds etc.)

Thats a shame. There are bound to be a few cars popping up for sale now that the sun has put in an appearance.

17 hours ago, Truth said:

Just realised I put GoDsmacked intstead of GoBsmacked in the title....... I was suffering from shock 😂

I saw it but didn't think it was odd - simply assumed you had a taste for American rock:  https://www.godsmack.com/welcome  at least I did until I read your actual post.......

10 hours ago, NicGun said:

Having come from an MX5 to a 986S I can assure you that MX5's rust infinitely more than any Boxster (986 onwards), whilst we thoroughly enjoyed our MX5 as a 2nd car for over 8yrs, the Boxster is a massive step up... The only thing I wish the Porsche had is the MX5's gear change.

Fit the short shift kit then it will have !!

I went from a 986S to a 2.5 z4 Msport (unintentionally) and I hated the z4. Boring & uninvolving is the honest way to put it. After a spat of being convertible-less for around a year whilst i kept my eyes and ears peeled for another, I’m in a well sorted 987S and haven’t looked back!

You should be able to pick up a decent enough 986 that’s enthusiast owned for £5k. Bring on the summer!

I drove a Z3 exactly 2 blocks before returning it to the lot. It just didn't appeal to me. I drove the boxster a mile and then back and bought it. It was my 4th convertible sports car.  And not my last Boxster.

Which is not to say it will speak to you the same way it did to me. Your money, your choice. Drive a bunch and you will know what you want.

In my experience, the strongest views regarding Boxster’s come from those who have never owned, or even driven one.

So on that basis, consider the age, quality of engineering, quality of build, ride and them most importantly performance and then consider what you think that’s worth - I’m pretty sure it’s a lot more than the market value of the 986! 😀

18 minutes ago, Southy said:

Every time I get in my 986 S and get a little bit of open road, I just laugh my head off, best kept secret in motoring - it's so cheap I feel its almost like stealing.

......hopefully that’s how you drive it...

On 2/24/2019 at 12:28 PM, Southy said:

I was going to add that part, probably not best to see that though if I ever intend to sell on this forum :)

Why did I think you had sold your Boxster Southy?!! Did you advertise it for a while or am I going mad?

Archived