Sat Nav Maps Update PCM3.1

718as

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Press INFO and SOURCE at the same time, and you'll get to the version screen.  It will show the firmware version, and if you press the History button you will see if it has been updated.  If the history screen is blank, then it is as it left the factory.

I have done a few updates.  You need to update the system firmware, enter an activation code using a PIWIS tester, and then load the new maps from DVD to the hard disk drive.  It takes about 2.5 hours.  The latest map disks are "MY2019" (the data on them is mid 2018).

The ignition has to be on all the time, soI just connect a charger.  As you say, the battery would go flat, and you wouldn't want to have the engine idling for over 2 hours!  It takes about 25 minutes for the update, and then another 25 minutes for each of the four map DVDs.

Obviously the eBay seller has found a way to upload the activation code without PIWIS.  I get charged £80 for the activation code alone, so £99 is a very good price.  Best of luck with it.

Don't know what Porsche charge for updating satnav,  but I had a BMW and for 2 years of updates (approx 4 per year) which you downloaded and installed via a USB stick,  this was about £100 which I didn't think was too unreasonable.

Phill

Porsche list it as "from £250" 

I had Alice done before I collected and it took them 4 hours, including the system update that is also required.

I'll be checking now to see if they did actually do it !

Delivery was today :)

1 x software disc; 4 x map discs & a memory stick.

Load the s/w; plug the m/s into USB port (which uploads the activation code for my VIN no.); load the maps...

I'll have a go over the weekend...if I can find the time to escape family ;)

1 hour ago, Mushroom3 said:

I've also taken the plunge but it have not been successful. The software update was fine but I can't get the nav to update. It throws up an error after inserting the first disc.

Did you have to provide your VIN upfront?  Have they definitely used the correct VIN (I would ask for confirmation of the number used to validate) - the maps are licensed to a particular VIN I believe.

1 hour ago, boxtastic said:

Is the supplier helping you with this?

Yes.

36 minutes ago, rowbos said:

Did you have to provide your VIN upfront?  Have they definitely used the correct VIN (I would ask for confirmation of the number used to validate) - the maps are licensed to a particular VIN I believe.

Yes - they are rechecking the VIN and resending the file.

Watch this space.

40 minutes ago, Mushroom3 said:

Yes and after the software update the version is now showing V4.7.3

4.76 is the latest version of the system software.  It won't make much difference to you though, as it is only necessary when you add Online Services for RTTI.

After seeing this thread I too invested in this update (at full price) I received the disks and after asking how to do the install the seller requested my VIN despite my already sending it when I bought the product. He then emailed me a file with the activation code  but it didn't work I just get error 1011 when I try to update the maps. The seller sent me another activation code but that didn't work either. Today he emailed me a third code and I tried it this evening, guess what? it didn't work. I would be very interested if anybody gets this working as at the moment it looks like I will be requesting my money back.

I assume we all got the same instructions (plus, he recommends running the engine; not just switching on ignition..,

navi-expert-uk:

Hi

Parcel is now posted.
After switching engine on, please input SW dvd first.
After software update is completed (system will guide you) take dvd out and input usb for 60 seconds (pre loaded code). You won't see any messages. After more or less 60 seconds, you can can remove usb.
Car needs to to be locked from the remote for at least an hour to allow system to reset itself.

After that time, just switch engine back on and proceed with dvd 1 ( system will guide you through the process).

Archived