Sat Nav Maps Update PCM3.1

718as

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Araf said:

Looks like he's currently out of stock.  Mine's PCM 3.0 so I doubt it would work, unless you know different, @Richard Hamilton?

Presumably if I sent you my maps, navi-expert would just need to send the activation code (at a discount perhaps)

Good idea but I'm sure he's burning off new copies, as we speak.  I could do with latest Euro maps before September and if one person has jail-broken the Porsche codes, others will.

9 minutes ago, Araf said:

......I'm sure he's burning off new copies, as we speak....

What did I say?  Showing as more than 10 available now. :)

3 hours ago, Araf said:

Looks like he's currently out of stock.  Mine's PCM 3.0 so I doubt it would work, unless you know different, @Richard Hamilton?

The activation by PIWIS method is very similar for both 3.0 and 3.1, but not knowing how his activation method works, I can't say.  Why not ask him?  If you fancy a run to Maidenhead I could do it for you, and it wouldn't cost you much more.

28 minutes ago, Richard Hamilton said:

The activation by PIWIS method is very similar for both 3.0 and 3.1, but not knowing how his activation method works, I can't say.  Why not ask him?  If you fancy a run to Maidenhead I could do it for you, and it wouldn't cost you much more.

The newer maps and the 7digit postcode input on the updated software on the PCM 3.0 makes it a usable device - the live traffic (TMC) is OK ..... not quite Waze/Googlemaps - but still usable IMHO. 

1 hour ago, Richard Hamilton said:

I did ask.  He replied very quickly to say it needs to be PCM 3.1

So, are you saying that if I had his maps, you could make them update on a PCM 3.0 for the cost of a licence?  Mine's only on version 2.20

14 minutes ago, Araf said:

I did ask.  He replied very quickly to say it needs to be PCM 3.1

So, are you saying that if I had his maps, you could make them update on a PCM 3.0 for the cost of a licence?  Mine's only on version 2.20

I already have an original set of Porsche maps, and the update disks for PCM3.0. Your system will need updating to v2.24 which will give you 7 digit postcodes, and improved Bluetooth compatibility.  The DVD drive on PCM3.0 is slower than 3.1, so it takes a while longer.  I don't make a living out of it, and the activation codes cost me £80-ish ($100) but if you are interested, drop me a PM.

I wish I knew the secret to updating via USB, because that seller is making a killing.  He's sold 14 in about 10 days, all for the sake of a few blank DVDs, and the know-how.

2 minutes ago, Richard Hamilton said:

I already have an original set of Porsche maps, and the update disks for PCM3.0. Your system will need updating to v2.24 which will give you 7 digit postcodes, and improved Bluetooth compatibility.  The DVD drive on PCM3.0 is slower than 3.1, so it takes a while longer.  I don't make a living out of it, and the activation codes cost me £80-ish ($100) but if you are interested, drop me a PM.

I wish I knew the secret to updating via USB, because that seller is making a killing.  He's sold 14 in about 10 days, all for the sake of a few blank DVDs, and the know-how.

Very kind of you.  PM on its way....

17 hours ago, 718as said:

So apart from latest maps is there any other benefit with the upgrade.

Yes. Next time I am crossing the Mersey on the new toll bridge hopefully I will no longer get shouted at by the sat nav. which then seemed to think I was on a boat!!!

On 5/7/2019 at 1:44 PM, Mushroom3 said:

Yes. Next time I am crossing the Mersey on the new toll bridge hopefully I will no longer get shouted at by the sat nav. which then seemed to think I was on a boat!!!

Ordered on Tuesday afternoon and arrived Thursday morning. Installed over about 4 hours (incl the waiting 1 hour wait after inserting/removing the supplied memory stick). All done whilst car hooked up to ctek charger with ignition on. Only minor issue was the error message that was displayed when inserting the 1st of the 4 map discs - I think it was some kind of read/write/copy protection error message. Inserted the disc a second time and it worked fine and no further issues with the other 3 discs.

Maps now updated and now it no longer shows me as driving across a ploughed field when going on a new road system hear home 😁

that's good news.  I too have ordered and await the discs.  I'll report back hopefully with a successful install !

For any of those that have installed these, anyone care to comment on the map updates. I have a £70 Garmin with lifetime map updates yet new roads will still often take months to be included in the updates. I believe these maps were supposed to be from Mid 2018, so can anyone confirm any new roads that opened early in 18 are actually part of the update?

54 minutes ago, Greenman said:

For any of those that have installed these, anyone care to comment on the map updates. I have a £70 Garmin with lifetime map updates yet new roads will still often take months to be included in the updates. I believe these maps were supposed to be from Mid 2018, so can anyone confirm any new roads that opened early in 18 are actually part of the update?

I haven't managed to drive anywhere with a newly built road yet so can't comment. However I also have a Garmin with lifetime maps and it includes roads that haven't been completed yet! The other day it tried to take me on the new A14 north of Cambridge across the fields to Brampton. 

On 5/5/2019 at 5:41 PM, Paul P said:

Interested in seeing the .sh file you mentioned.  Might be something to learn from in there. 

A .sh file is normally a Linux shell script.  Assuming that this update involves nothing except a USB drive and some disks, it implies that the PCM is running Linux. 

Does the script seem to contain any other magic values apart from the VIN?  If it doesn't, then the activation code must be generated by the script.

On 5/6/2019 at 9:04 PM, 718as said:

Is it faster or any improvements to the PCM in terms of functionality 

On 5/6/2019 at 10:13 PM, topradio said:

No, its a map update.

If you read the listing, he can turn on additional functions pre-built into the PCM.

1 hour ago, Required said:

A .sh file is normally a Linux shell script.  Assuming that this update involves nothing except a USB drive and some disks, it implies that the PCM is running Linux. 

Does the script seem to contain any other magic values apart from the VIN?  If it doesn't, then the activation code must be generated by the script.

File has .sh extension but it’s not a shall script  it’s appears to be a binary file (perhaps executable on the correct platform. ). It’s largely unreadable (think printing a .exe on windows  only clear text is the vin and an “ swid “ string. Perhaps it’s an encrypted shell script but it doesn’t run on x64 intel Linux install ( I suspect the pcm probably uses a different processor whatever it runs  ) 

I have seen two different working ones of these now and they are very different (ie it’s not just the vin number that changes ) the swid string is the same in both files  

Apparently this is a method for pcm activations the works for 3.1 only (according to feedback from others who have contacted him) so he has clearly cracked the activation code generation so that piwis is not required  

Interesting stuff but he’s not giving his secret golden goose away  

On 5/6/2019 at 2:40 PM, spook said:

Can someone organise a group buy?

You will be lucky to get anything off.

I contacted him telling him that I started this thread which resulted in several hundred pounds of buisness and if I could have a good discount.

Best he could do is £5 and said the cost to obtain the code is expensive.

My only concern is that if the install fails it could brick the unit, so asked him about this, he said it has never happend, but could occur.

Archived