Sat Nav Maps Update PCM3.1

718as

Tried again 3 times this morning, still getting error 1011. Just before it comes up with that screen the display briefly has a message at the bottom that says media not playable, but I assume that is just because it's not a music CD.

The seller sent me 3 files, the first two were 21.5KB  whereas the last one is 64.6K. How big was the file that worked for you @boxtastic?

How are you getting on @Mushroom3?

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still no luck. 1st file I was sent was 44kb, the second 22. I have no idea what significance that might have.

I did not have the engine running though. It was on my Ctek. I'm off to try it with the engine running.

Tried again with engine running - still no luck.

I have discovered that a .sh file can be read by Notebook ++. I also understand it's a Linux type file so most of it is gobbledygook, but the last line shows your VIN number. That is correct at least in the 2 files I was sent.

Good to hear boxtastic had success, but it is absolutely beyond me why you would have to lock the car for an hour or more, or run the engine running during the update.  The only difference between the navi-expert update process and the Porsche process is the entry of the activation code.

Having said that, I always connect a 10A charger when updating the maps.  I think it is possible that if the battery voltage is below a certain figure, it might not start the update.  Perhaps try connecting a heavier duty charger, rather than a conditioner.

3 hours ago, topradio said:

Tried again 3 times this morning, still getting error 1011. Just before it comes up with that screen the display briefly has a message at the bottom that says media not playable, but I assume that is just because it's not a music CD.

That is normal, Eddie.  As you say, it is because it isn't in a playable music format.

I was pretty sure that was the case Richard.

I haven't been trying with the engine running but I do have a proper charger connected. If it is a supply voltage problem that could explain why it worked for @boxtastic with the engine running.

Sorry guys....been out...

I'm sure the first one was 22kb - but it never changed to "activated"

The second one also shows 22kb (as I still have a pre-activated copy on my PC) 

Bizarrely, the post "activated" the copy on my m/s now reads 49bytes when holding the cursor over the filename; but says the file is 1KB in the window display column.

I did take a few photos along the way... (soz - no idea how to upload them).

So after the 3 hour wait; first attempt threw the "1040" error "Write protection activated"

Second attempt; I got a screen titled "Loading update..." with a 0% to 100% bar.

Title switched to "Restarting system..." again with a 0-100 bar.

Then it went to radio mode (normal radio screen & it was playing last selected channel); whist at the same time "medium not playable" message appeared at the bottom.

I remember leaving it like that for a while - and then a new screen "Update of navigation database"with " Disc 0 of 0" and 0-100 bar; followed straight away by "Disc 1 of 4"  and off it went.....asking for the next disc each time.

It may have flashed back to the radio again at the end / can't quite remember.... but it does finish with "Navigation database successfully updated to version 6.5.1" with a "Confirm" button to press.

HTH!

Exactly as Topradio - received a new file today and disc 1 is loading as I type. Without the engine running - just a Ctek plugged in. Fingers crossed. I must agree with others, the seller Lukas has been very helpful and pro active throughout.

1 hour ago, Ninja02 said:

Any of you guys still under warranty?  Just unsure whether to or not.

Phill

I'm not...

You can see from my screenshot above that the PCM shows full upload history - so an OPC will be able to see (if they look).

As to what effect that has on your warranty, is anyone's guess!

1 hour ago, boxtastic said:

I'm not...

You can see from my screenshot above that the PCM shows full upload history - so an OPC will be able to see (if they look).

As to what effect that has on your warranty, is anyone's guess!

I guess the risk would be that if the pcm fails and they question the update you could have issues.  However, if it's broken it's probably more likely that the OPC goes ahead and orders a new unit.

Archived