Sat Nav Maps Update PCM3.1

718as

1 hour ago, Greenman said:

Good news,  so did he give you specific instructions for the install or was it just a case as doing exactly the same but missing out the SW load step.

Following on from the question I asked about my software already being at 4.76 he didn't send me the software disc, just the 4 map discs and a usb stick so it was the same instructions as the others but misses out the software upgrade and starts with plugging in the USB.

What I did was:

Ignition on

Plug in USB for 3 mins (instructions from Lukas were 'more or less a minute') It said something like no music files found or something like that but there's no indication that it's actually doing anything with the files on the stick.

Remove stick and lock car for at least an hour (I left it an hour and a quarter)

Connect charger to positive battery terminal and negative chassis post and switch ignition on

Insert disc 1 - it restarted the PCM 2 or 3 times and then said it aborted the upgrade due to some sort of error that I can't quite remember so I just put it in again and it started loading (it might have restarted the PCM again, not sure?)

Put in the other 3 discs when it asks for them then it says something like navigation updated to X.X.X - Confirm

Tap Confirm and job done. 

I pressed 'MAP' button and it showed 'Loading Maps' for several mins then shows the map screen with the sky image at the top but no roads at all until I'd driven a few yards then they all pop up and all is well!

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Buzzfox said:

Following on from the question I asked about my software already being at 4.76 he didn't send me the software disc, just the 4 map discs and a usb stick so it was the same instructions as the others but misses out the software upgrade and starts with plugging in the USB.

What I did was:

Ignition on

Plug in USB for 3 mins (instructions from Lukas were 'more or less a minute') It said something like no music files found or something like that but there's no indication that it's actually doing anything with the files on the stick.

Remove stick and lock car for at least an hour (I left it an hour and a quarter)

Connect charger to positive battery terminal and negative chassis post and switch ignition on

Insert disc 1 - it restarted the PCM 2 or 3 times and then said it aborted the upgrade due to some sort of error that I can't quite remember so I just put it in again and it started loading (it might have restarted the PCM again, not sure?)

Put in the other 3 discs when it asks for them then it says something like navigation updated to X.X.X - Confirm

Tap Confirm and job done. 

I pressed 'MAP' button and it showed 'Loading Maps' for several mins then shows the map screen with the sky image at the top but no roads at all until I'd driven a few yards then they all pop up and all is well!

Many thx, I might risk going for this myself.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Just to add a couple of extra points to what has already been said about the update.

Have got a CTEK conditioner plugged into the car (early 2016 build) 

As mentioned previously, due to the fact I have already got software version 4.76 Lukas only sent the map updates plus the USB.

Carried out the procedure with no problems whatsoever. When it was finished and disc 4 ejected the new maps were there ready to go. I have to say going by previous experiences I was really expecting a problem, but nothing of the sort.

The only thing that I did do differently was sit in the car whilst the maps loaded (good excuse to read the handbook!!) I found that whilst the key which had been turned one notch to the right turned on the electrics, the car slowly started to shut itself down. So, all I did was open and close the door which delayed this process. Out of interest, once the maps were loaded I did leave the door open and the car slowly went through a shut down cycle which eventually switched off the PCM.

I also just bought the update from Navi-expert, all worked perfectly first time.

I just plugged my CTEK charger in and let it get on with it, takes about 15 mins per disc, car did start shutting down but the PCM remained on while the update was loading.

On 6/20/2019 at 1:52 PM, fat haggis said:

I’m ok for maps I updated my sport edition with them. It’s a pity no 2018 maps are avail for 2.1 cars. 😱

Does anyone know which mapping system Porsche uses?  Aston owners used to use Volvo map updates as a cheaper option and I can't believe Porsche have a unique programme.

On 6/21/2019 at 3:29 PM, Araf said:

Does anyone know which mapping system Porsche uses?

I noticed that the 5th photo in the Ebay listing (linked again a few posts ago) shows that the back of the dvd folder says "(c) HERE", so it looks as if it's HERE Maps, which used to be Nokia Maps - a pretty good mapping database which used to be the basis for the free app from Nokia that allowed to to download detailed maps and use them entirely offline, even for navigation. I never understood how it wasn't better-known; the app interface wasn't the best, but if you had a memory card big enough, you could download street-level detail maps of half the world and use them without any data connection at all. I'm not sure who owns it nowadays after the Nokia-Microsoft-buyout deals of the last 10 years, but I thought it was interesting that it's what Porsche chose to use. Strangely, though, the Nokia/HERE database had excellent maps of everywhere I've ever been apart from Japan, which I assume is an important market for Porsche, so I assume they use another supplier for that territory.

• 2 months later...

Its interesting that this is a .sh file - PCM 3.1 is a QNX based system and I thought that the USB did not allow executing of .sh (shell script) files. But looking at your posts this is possible.

Can you please let me know the names of the .sh files?  Did they all have the same name?

Wondering if any of the users can attach one of the files (after removing/masking any VIN references)

23 hours ago, Karey said:

Its interesting that this is a .sh file - PCM 3.1 is a QNX based system and I thought that the USB did not allow executing of .sh (shell script) files. But looking at your posts this is possible.

Can you please let me know the names of the .sh files?  Did they all have the same name?

Wondering if any of the users can attach one of the files (after removing/masking any VIN references)

Not at home at the moment so nothing to hand. But a couple of the folks who did this sent me the .sh files they are unreadable. (As in encrypted/ encoded rather than “its all Greek to me “.  There’s very little readable text in them.  Only think I found was what looked like the product key.  

Also.  They are very different between users, I.e. not just a block of chars that are different.  Again Suggests they are encrypted in some way ( perhaps seeded against the VIN) 

1 hour ago, Paul P said:

Not at home at the moment so nothing to hand. But a couple of the folks who did this sent me the .sh files they are unreadable. (As in encrypted/ encoded rather than “its all Greek to me “.  There’s very little readable text in them.  Only think I found was what looked like the product key.  

Also.  They are very different between users, I.e. not just a block of chars that are different.  Again Suggests they are encrypted in some way ( perhaps seeded against the VIN) 

Thanks Paul.. if you look at Touareg or Audi forums folks have used similar technique where they use a file called copie_scr.sh to trigger the execution of a few updates to their nav and I think the operating system for those systems is the same as pcm3.1. For that file there are encode and decide utilities online too..basically the shell script is encoded with a different character set.

When you get a chance can you please confirm if the filename is consistent in the files you got and if it's the name I mention or another filename?

6 minutes ago, Karey said:

Thanks Paul.. if you look at Touareg or Audi forums folks have used similar technique where they use a file called copie_scr.sh to trigger the execution of a few updates to their nav and I think the operating system for those systems is the same as pcm3.1. For that file there are encode and decide utilities online too..basically the shell script is encoded with a different character set.

When you get a chance can you please confirm if the filename is consistent in the files you got and if it's the name I mention or another filename?

Pretty sure that’s the one. (Not anywhere near a real computer for the next week so can’t check for sure   

All conjecture for me since I have a pcm 3.0 and I think it’s different for that unit but I am by nature inquisitive and like to know how these things work. 

Not sure if that script actually does any code generation since I am pretty sure that the supplier buys his codes from somewhere else and this is just the “launch” mechanism so you don’t need a piwis device.  All guess work I have to say but the vw angle is interesting  

19 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Pretty sure that’s the one. (Not anywhere near a real computer for the next week so can’t check for sure   

All conjecture for me since I have a pcm 3.0 and I think it’s different for that unit but I am by nature inquisitive and like to know how these things work. 

Not sure if that script actually does any code generation since I am pretty sure that the supplier buys his codes from somewhere else and this is just the “launch” mechanism so you don’t need a piwis device.  All guess work I have to say but the vw angle is interesting  

Afaik, the 3.1 builds on 3.0 from a software perspective..so the codebase has a lot of similarities. I think the maps may be the same as well though installation/ activation procedures may differ.

Agreewith you that this script is a launch mechanism and that is why I am interested as I want to trigger a diagnostic command on my navigation hard drive without need for piwis

• 2 months later...

Just to say today I updated my SatNav as per the above from discs supplied as in the link above.  I did have a few issues though:

initially on inserting disc1 it came back with an error 1011 ... something about not having permissions to update database.  I tried again with same result.  So I tried inserting the usb again, waited a couple of minutes, locked car, waited over an hour, etc then inserted disc1 ....Note when you insert disk one it seems to switch to radio mode (fm) and you get a message saying somthing like “no readable files on disc”,  previously I had pressed the media button and switched to dvd to then see a message “map updates aborted” with option to eject disk..which I did. This time I just left it on the radio screen and after about a minute the disc1 maps started loading.  Took about 20 mins per disk.  I did have to go out whilst disk4 had just started loading so I just started up and drove, all carried on as before.

Note- there is some inconsistency between discs on the progress bar, disks 1/3 were nice and even in progressing 0-100%, disc 2 quickly jumped to 25% then slowly up to 100. Disk 4 jumped straight to 25% stayed there for 15-20 minuted then just completed.

Note2 - a new road near me that opened this time last year is not on the maps, these are said to be a mid2018 mapping so I guess that is to be expected.

Archived