Sat Nav Maps Update PCM3.1

718as

2 hours ago, 718as said:

My only concern is that if the install fails it could brick the unit, so asked him about this, he said it has never happend, but could occur.

In my experience of several failures, I don't think there is much chance of it bricking the unit. Once you get the update started all seems to be fine. All my failures happened long before that point. At one stage I deliberately inserted disc 2 first to see what would happen. It just threw up an error code (albeit a different one from the usual) and asked for disc 1.

I was more worried the software update might brick it, but that bit seems to work smoothly.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went ahead with this map update conscious of the problems other users had.

My update went exactly as the instructions from Lukas until I went to insert disc 4 and realised it was cracked...doh!

He was very good about it and immediately sent a replacement disc 4.

Started the process from disc 1 but the first three loaded in seconds as the data had already been uploaded and disc 4

took a further 20 minutes with no problems.

Everything works as it should and maps updated to V 6.5.1

So £99 instead of £328 from an OPC

Very pleased with back-up and comms from Lukas at navi-expert-uk

I took the car out today for the first time since the update. I don't know if it's my imagination but the map display seems sharper and clearer somehow. Anybody else think this?

I do notice that in the bottom left corner of the screen it shows how long the journey will take in hours and minutes rather than the eta. Is there a setting to change this over or is this the new norm?

26 minutes ago, topradio said:

I do notice that in the bottom left corner of the screen it shows how long the journey will take in hours and minutes rather than the eta. Is there a setting to change this over or is this the new norm?

Not sure what version mine is on offhand, but it took me a while to realise that if you tap where it displays the eta, it toggles between the eta (time) and the journey time (duration). I suspect yours might be the same.

7 minutes ago, Jon61 said:

Not sure what version mine is on offhand, but it took me a while to realise that if you tap where it displays the eta, it toggles between the eta (time) and the journey time (duration). I suspect yours might be the same.

I thought that and did try it but it just took the display into that mode where you can move it around. 

I will try again tomorrow. 

I do not want to take this thread off topic but I have been following the progress and minor issues involved, I have spoken to one of the regular members and there is the possibility of a visit to upgrade but I do not live close to him and I am sure the DIY method involved above is not within my capability. By chance I have received an offer from Tom Tom, does anyone have any opinions how they compare to the built in Porsche unit ? It is not a money issue but just trying to make life a simple as possible.

I use a TomTom 6100 in my Audi, and find it much better than the built in satnav, and the PCM3.0 in my previous Cayman.  Lifetime map updates every 3 months, speed camera warnings, and proper real time traffic information.  Of course, it isn't as aesthetically pleasing, but having it mounted on the right hand side of the screen makes it easier to use too.  Waze on a smartphone is supposed to be even better, but the screen size is too small on mine, and I can't be bothered with a phone mount and plugging it in each time.

I have used a tomtom for more than 10 years mainly U.K. but also in Europe and USA. 

Great bits of kit. 

I also have got the PCM3 in the Porsche updated to latest maps.  Now I have a car with built in nav I find it usefully integrated into the car and (I don’t know why) but kind of cool  I use it fairly regularly  the novelty may wear off eventually 

But. The tomtom is still there in the glovebox and I also have google maps and Waze ( I don’t like the routing on waze. It does some odd things sometimes but it’s good for hazard and other notifications. ) 

if you don’t mind the faff of cable routing for power for the tomtom I suspect it will give you everything you want from a Satnav and the latest units with lifetime maps and traffic are being offered at a good price now. 

I've now installed the updates from Lukas, with no error messages and all looks fine.

Kept the car locked for a little more than an hour, as recommended after the USB install.

It was getting late last night and the car was in my garage - connected to CTEK charger throughout so didn't take it out to check.  I recall someone saying it did take a long time to find the first destination after the update - just how long ?  As I was too impatient to wait -I'll hopefully try again tonight.

Happy to report my install went well with no errors and following a quick rece run this evening, maps & destinations all now loading promptly.

So well done to Lukas.

We do an annual Euro trip with another due this September and have typically  taken a Tom Tom 6000 (with online updates).  Hopefully this year it will genuinely be a back up only  !

The install is simple and requires no technical / IT knowledge whatsoever - just the ability to follow Lukas' instructions with some patience. 

Another happy customer of Lukas here. Install went as per instructions with no problems at all. The factory-installed maps from 2012 have now been upgraded to the latest 2018 maps with full postcodes.

Not bad for £95! Remind me again, how much does an OPC charge for this procedure ......?

On 5/11/2019 at 10:09 PM, topradio said:

I thought that and did try it but it just took the display into that mode where you can move it around. 

I will try again tomorrow. 

I have the ETA shown in right pod screen.

I had issues last year with any saved locations entered in UK for France.  They worked ok If I resaved while in France.  I keep TomTom on phone as backup/use when in hire car.  In France I tend to run both for the camera locations (not legal in France)

Thanks for all info on this chaps plus some of you acting as guinea pigs! its encouraged me to get this upgrade, hope to get it tomorrow and install it over the weekend.  

Personally I and various iPhone users are furious at Tomtom, we bought the app for £50 (a lot for an app) with lifetime updates, then six(?) years later they decided they were going to stop lifetime updates, please move to our subscription model to continue. b*st*rds. 

Yep I was one. Although what they did add was free western Europe maps - chose what you need and then remember to select it in the settings.

And free camera updates

I quite fancy this myself but I don't have a charger.

What is the recommended charger? I've looked at Ctek but there's seems to be quite a lot of them, which one is best for this application or is a different one ok?

5 minutes ago, Buzzfox said:

I quite fancy this myself but I don't have a charger.

What is the recommended charger? I've looked at Ctek but there's seems to be quite a lot of them, which one is best for this application or is a different one ok?

I got the MSX5.0, good price on Amazon.  Also consider if you want extension lead and the cigarette lighter plug.

23 minutes ago, Gorsh said:

I got the MSX5.0, good price on Amazon.  Also consider if you want extension lead and the cigarette lighter plug.

I have the same CTEK.   And an extension cable.  And a cigarette adapter 😄

Works well for me...

Archived