Sat Nav Maps Update PCM3.1

718as

34 minutes ago, rowbos said:

I have the same CTEK.   And an extension cable.  And a cigarette adapter 😄

Works well for me...

+1  I was one of the guinea pigs and when having failures I disconnected the CTEK while the car was shut down for the hour. As it turned out the problem was solved with the authorisation code so I did not discover if this was relevant.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another question I'm afraid! My car is a November 2015 build and is at software version 4.76

On this thread it says the version update takes it to V4.7.3 so does that mean it's an older version to mine? Also how do I know what map version I currently have, I can't see that info on the 'SOURCE' + 'INFO' screen?

2 hours ago, rowbos said:

I have the same CTEK.   And an extension cable.  And a cigarette adapter 😄

Works well for me...

CTEK MXS 5.0 for me, too but without any extension cables or cigarette adaptor - just connected it to the battery and charged it that way.

46 minutes ago, smartin said:

CTEK MXS 5.0 for me, too but without any extension cables or cigarette adaptor - just connected it to the battery and charged it that way.

when connecting straight to battery, be sure to use the -ve chassis post (not -ve  battery terminal) or the battery management system is by-passed.

45 minutes ago, boxtastic said:

when connecting straight to battery, be sure to use the -ve chassis post (not -ve  battery terminal) or the battery management system is by-passed.

I connected it to the +ve battery terminal and one of the nuts on the top of the suspension mounts as supplied cable would not reach to the designated earthing point.

3 hours ago, Buzzfox said:

Another question I'm afraid! My car is a November 2015 build and is at software version 4.76

On this thread it says the version update takes it to V4.7.3 so does that mean it's an older version to mine? Also how do I know what map version I currently have, I can't see that info on the 'SOURCE' + 'INFO' screen?

Leave it at 4.76 - just skip his update step.  You don't want to end up downgrading it.  Unless he is putting some sort of tweak in the update, in which case you need to contact him to ask.

In the INFO+SOURCE screen there should be a History button.  If it has been updated, it will show the map version there.  If the History screen is blank, then it is the original map version as it left the factory (2014-ish), perhaps.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:09 PM, topradio said:

I thought that and did try it but it just took the display into that mode where you can move it around. 

I will try again tomorrow. 

Hi @topradio, did you manage to get the ETA and journey time to toggle with a touch or does this update mean it doesn't do that any more?

42 minutes ago, Richard Hamilton said:

Leave it at 4.76 - just skip his update step.  You don't want to end up downgrading it.  Unless he is putting some sort of tweak in the update, in which case you need to contact him to ask.

In the INFO+SOURCE screen there should be a History button.  If it has been updated, it will show the map version there.  If the History screen is blank, then it is the original map version as it left the factory (2014-ish), perhaps.

Thanks for the info and no I don't have any entries in the 'history' tab. I've asked the seller if I need to use the software disc so I'll wait to see what he comes back with.

1 hour ago, Buzzfox said:

Hi @topradio, did you manage to get the ETA and journey time to toggle with a touch or does this update mean it doesn't do that any more?

I did. Just press the screen where the miles to go display is (bottom left) and it switches over. I was pressing the time (ETA) and it just changed the screen to interactive.

8 hours ago, Buzzfox said:

4 hours ago, Richard Hamilton said:

3 hours ago, Buzzfox said:

Thanks for the info and no I don't have any entries in the 'history' tab. I've asked the seller if I need to use the software disc so I'll wait to see what he comes back with.

My car is a similar age to your @Buzzfox - mine was registered end-Oct 2015, and my software is V4.75, so I will be interested to hear the seller's answer to whether you can use this update for just the maps.

Re the map version - as I'd expect I also have no 'history' entries, but it would be good to know just what version maps I currently have installed to know how much of an improvement the V6.5.1 "2018" maps would be. It seems daft that you can't see directly what version the current maps are (I can with my wife's Audi - it shows separate version info for software and navigation database). In fact, even the facility to get to the version screen by pressing INFO and SOURCE, as kindly informed by @Richard Hamilton near the beginning of this thread, doesn't appear to be mentioned in the PCM manual, unless I've missed it buried deeply somewhere - all the huge manual says is how to get the overall version number (eg v4.75) , not the entries for the separate items of software (which is what I assume is being shown on the screens you can flick between by the left/right arrow buttons). I can't see any entries there that obviously relate to the NAVI database - mine has an entry for HWID_PCM3 (hardware ID, I assume) and then lots of SWID_******** entries (software?), but none that look anywhere similar to the "V6.5.1" or that are called anything like PCM31_ECE_... as shown in @boxtastic's pictures on page 3.

Would anyone who has updated care to check that the new maps do have some recent roads updated? As a UK example, just west of Horsham (West Sussex), there was a new road built about a year or two ago, drawn on in pink below - the whole road and the junction with the existing A24 aren't there on my 981 maps. If you zoom out, centre the map on Horsham and then zoom back in, is the new road there on the updated maps?

20190520_190705 (edited)

And as an overseas one that I know of, the A4 autobahn between Aachen & Cologne was rerouted a few years back - below is how it shows on my PCM, but the pink line I've added is more like the revised route:

20190520_173318 (Boxster-edited)

Hi @Jon61,

The seller replied very quickly saying I wouldn't need to use the update disc as my software will support the map updates. I also have a screen shot of my current maps which I would hope will have been updated - M6, M1, A14 junction. I'll stick it up later and ask if some of the new map owners could compare it.

9 minutes ago, topradio said:

@Buzzfox The new MI, M6, A14 junction is on the new maps.

That's great, thanks @topradio, that's saved me having to remember how to post up a picture! 

That junction causes me much confusion as the car always expects to come up to the traffic lights and roundabout type thing before telling me if we're going on the M6 or M1 so I always have to know that before I get there so I can follow the right slip road on to which ever motorway it is (and I'm not really that organised to be honest!)

On 5/20/2019 at 12:02 PM, boxtastic said:

A friend of mine had a Halfords battery charger/maintainer I can borrow. Any reason why that won't do? Excuse my ignorance but where is this negative chassis post??

29 minutes ago, 718as said:

Why not just plug it into the cigarette socket ?

That works :)

-the -ve post is by the wiper mechanism / offside; but as mentioned above it is a bit of a stretch from the battery; and near side suspension bolts are closer.

39 minutes ago, 718as said:

Why not just plug it into the cigarette socket ?

I don't have that option with the charger I can borrow, just the crocodile clips for the battery. If I decide to go for this I obviously would like to keep the cost as low as possible which would mean avoiding spending 70 odd quid on a new charger if possible.

26 minutes ago, 718as said:

u should be able to get the cigarette lighter cable for a few quid of ebay.

Yeah, I probably could but it's probably just as easy to hook this Halfords charger/maintainer straight onto the battery and the negative chassis post now that I know where it is. Unless anyone suggests that is not the way to go?

3 hours ago, boxtastic said:

That works :)

-the -ve post is by the wiper mechanism / offside; but as mentioned above it is a bit of a stretch from the battery; and near side suspension bolts are closer.

Learning, learning, all the time learning!! Yep, found it and it's even labelled up showing what it is! I would never have know about that if you hadn't mentioned it so thanks very much for that nugget.

The leads on the charger I've borrowed will reach both that and the battery positive terminal with no problem so I think I should be ok to go ahead (famous last words!). I'll probably bang an order in later tonight and have a go at the weekend.

On 5/20/2019 at 7:57 PM, Buzzfox said:

Hi @Jon61,

The seller replied very quickly saying I wouldn't need to use the update disc as my software will support the map updates. I also have a screen shot of my current maps which I would hope will have been updated - M6, M1, A14 junction. I'll stick it up later and ask if some of the new map owners could compare it.

I wish I had asked that question before I did the update as I think my software was originally at 4.76 (car is a 2012). Now I thnk I have a lower software version with the newer maps. Not sure what the software version differences are - hopefully minor.

Archived