low cost recovery service?

Hi all... I am trying to remember the name of a low cost UK recovery service that was well recommended here... It covered me and not the car if I remember... Any ideas? 

1 minute ago, JohnnyUK said:

Hi all... I am trying to remember the name of a low cost UK recovery service that was well recommended here... It covered me and not the car if I remember... Any ideas? 

Gem Motoring Assist?

I'm with Autoaid, under £50 a year I think.  Not yet had to use them so far, but reviews are generally positive.

1 hour ago, fat haggis said:

I get full  recovery  and breakdown with my insurance for the car 🚙 

I had this on the insurance for my BMW . Starter motor failed when in Scotland last year so called them "Yes sir we can help by recovering the vehicle anywhere within 30 miles." I was surprised as I thought I had full recovery so worth checking exactly what your policy covers. Luckily I remembered that I also had cover with my bank account and they recovered all the way to my local indie very smoothly and at no cost.

Dave

1 hour ago, MrBen said:

I'm with Autoaid, under £50 a year I think.  Not yet had to use them so far, but reviews are generally positive.

That's the one.... Looks really good value if they do their bit! I want to do some decent trips in the 986 this year and just want some backup. It's a tiptronic too, so no towing!

I've got full breakdown including homestart and full EU recovery with Locktons Insurance on the PCGB scheme, I've used the breakdown service once, absolutely perfect. broke down at a supermarket at 3pm on a Sunday, Phone the insurance hotline, truck was with me in 40 mins and I was delivered home 35 mins later.

On 5/5/2019 at 9:19 PM, MrBen said:

I’ve just renewed my auto-aid at £48. 

Only out once last year to my erm, MX5, before the Boxster. They were great, quick service and a quick fix. 

Recommended. 

On 5/5/2019 at 6:05 PM, the baron said:

I was with the AA that covered me not the car but then they put the premium up from £180 per year to £600 per year, cover now cancelled.

I am with the RAC - three of us - full cover (home,recovery, onward travel etc. etc.) as driver/passenger (so any car) renewal just came in at £325 - two phone calls and a bit of bargaining - came down to £150 - both RAC and AA respond with "can't improve that" and then you say "competitor quoted xxxx for equivalent" and they go into price match - then argue for a bit more to keep an existing customer etc. 

2 hours ago, Paul P said:

I am with the RAC - three of us - full cover (home,recovery, onward travel etc. etc.) as driver/passenger (so any car) renewal just came in at £325 - two phone calls and a bit of bargaining - came down to £150 - both RAC and AA respond with "can't improve that" and then you say "competitor quoted xxxx for equivalent" and they go into price match - then argue for a bit more to keep an existing customer etc. 

Paul I renewed mine for just me any vehicle including my motorhome same cover as you but Europe too for £260.

Wished I had read this before o renewed with the RAC

On 5/5/2019 at 10:51 PM, JohnnyUK said:

That's the one.... Looks really good value if they do their bit! I want to do some decent trips in the 986 this year and just want some backup. It's a tiptronic too, so no towing!

It also covers your spouse or partner driving any car.

There are loads. A lot started out as lay and reclaim and many of them were underwritten by something like Equity Redstart. Gem, Autonational, Britannia, Autoaid. I think I've had policies with them all over the years. 

Just taken out a green flag policy covering two cars and full European cover including repatriation of car and passengers due to road trip across Germany Italy France Austria and Switzerland. Cost £220 and covers cars upto sixteen years old. Luckily the 987 is only fourteen years young.

That's not cheap in the context of the cheap recovery which is £50-60 a year. 

• 2 months later...

I'm just about to renew with rescuemycar.com https://www.rescuemycar.com

£28.49 for UK recovery with home with a £40 excess.  I'm quite happy to have the excess rather than pay more for the recovery when I might not need it.  
I had to call them last year when I had some weird electrical gremlins - they arrived within 35 mins, and flatbed'd the car to local indy.

Can't beat that for value I think

I think this policy is great value -

• UK and European breakdown assistance for account holder(s) in any vehicle whether a driver or passenger, registered in the UK, that they are travelling in
  • Cover for anyone driving one UK registered vehicle registered to the account holder and which is being used with his/her permission. Where the account is in joint names then up to two vehicles can be covered
  • Assistance provided at home and at the roadside with national recovery and onward travel
  • No call out limit *
  • No excess to pay

Nationwide Building Society Flex Account includes the above plus many other beneifts at £13 a month.

Archived