What am I looking at?

MH82

Firstly please feel free to move this if it’s in the wrong place.

Contemplating moving my 987.2S on, we’re now in the family way (woop) and things may need to give.

Car is a 2010 Boxster S PDK on 69k miles with some tasteful additions beyond the factory options

Have owned since October 2017 when I bought it from Cameron Sports Cars.

Since that time I have spent thousands getting a few niggles sorted and haven’t been afraid to upgrade then as i’ve gone along.

Specifically these include

June 2018 - new power steering pipes and connections, and a cruise control retrofit

Autumn 2018 - upgraded interior, including Alcantara lower dash, rear centre console, central armrest, pdk lever and steering wheel (to complement full leather interior and pdk surround)

April 2019 - service at Cotswold Porsche including air filter change, and major suspension refresh, including all drop links, one coffin arm, one track rod end, and a full new Spyder suspension spring and damper set plus Spyder front anti-roll bar.

May 2019 - full 2 stage paint correction and ceramic coating (with 3 year warranty) plus roof refurb and coating, alloy wheel refurb and Spyder vents.

Other than that the car is basalt black with black leather interior, red belts, sport design steering wheel with paddles, Bose sound, sport and sport plus (retrofitted so no little chrono clock) and a carnewal by exhaust (if you search my handle you’ll find pictures)

Any thoughts on the sort of money that I should ask/may get?

Congrats on the Dad Club Membership.

Personally I'd be selling the other half (not literally) on how handy it will be to keep it for when popping out for baby bits.

But kids ain't cheap either so I get the need to shift it.

Sounds a nice car.

2 minutes ago, MH82 said:

And to put that into context I think I may cry as I’ve just realised i’ve spent about £8500 on this car in the past twelve months.

(my wife’s not on here is she? 😱)

It does sound like a well sorted and loved motor.

I don’t think you are going to recover all that you’ve spent on it but if you have to sell it’s just one of those things. 

I’d take a guess at £25K?

That sounds more positive than I was thinking, was assuming the mileage would play a bigger factor.

Recognise I won’t get what I’ve put into it, but hopefully it will make it a special car for someone else if it does have to go.

I’d suggest that with those miles, £25k is full retail with warranty and even that might be pushing it. 25k will get you into a 981 or a low mileage 987S with sub 40k on it.

I’d be more around 20-21 even with the extras, as those unfortunately won’t add huge amounts of added value to the car unless you have an enthusiast who understands them. As context, i paid 21,500 for my 2010 S PDK over a year ago with 64k on it which came with full history, new mot, over £2,500 of work and a 6mth warranty.

I do hope you get £25k though as it keeps the rest of our cars up in price 😁  

I paid £22k for my 2010 PDK S  with 49k miles last year , from a reputable dealer with 3 months warranty, full service history and a years MOT so £25k is strong money.

Hope you get what your looking for.

12 hours ago, MH82 said:

Firstly please feel free to move this if it’s in the wrong place.

Contemplating moving my 987.2S on, we’re now in the family way (woop) and things may need to give.

Car is a 2010 Boxster S PDK on 69k miles with some tasteful additions beyond the factory options

Have owned since October 2017 when I bought it from Cameron Sports Cars.

Since that time I have spent thousands getting a few niggles sorted and haven’t been afraid to upgrade then as i’ve gone along.

Specifically these include

June 2018 - new power steering pipes and connections, and a cruise control retrofit

Autumn 2018 - upgraded interior, including Alcantara lower dash, rear centre console, central armrest, pdk lever and steering wheel (to complement full leather interior and pdk surround)

April 2019 - service at Cotswold Porsche including air filter change, and major suspension refresh, including all drop links, one coffin arm, one track rod end, and a full new Spyder suspension spring and damper set plus Spyder front anti-roll bar.

May 2019 - full 2 stage paint correction and ceramic coating (with 3 year warranty) plus roof refurb and coating, alloy wheel refurb and Spyder vents.

Other than that the car is basalt black with black leather interior, red belts, sport design steering wheel with paddles, Bose sound, sport and sport plus (retrofitted so no little chrono clock) and a carnewal by exhaust (if you search my handle you’ll find pictures)

Any thoughts on the sort of money that I should ask/may get?

Nice advert

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

What you should be looking at is a thousand quid 5-door Focus.

Totally agree with this, what you don't yet realise is kids ruin your life, all us folk with kids saying 'it's the best thing we ever did' are all liers, it's a trap so you too can endure our misery.

Get a banger to run the rug rats around in and keep the Boxster for those ever so brief moments in your future life when you can farm the little gits off  to some poor unsuspecting soul and go and have some fun.

Rog.

Seriouslly though, congrats, kids are awesome, they change your life for the better and I'm the proudest dad in the world.

Unfortunately, as seen from the comparibles above the market price is going to be closer to £20k than £25k if you want to sell it in a reasonable timescale. If you price it much higher than this, you will need to be lucky to find a private buyer who values the work you have done. Mad though it is, 70k strikes a lot of people looking for a pristine car such as yours as a bit high, soon into 80/90k and virtually unsellable😀.

Notwithstanding all the goodies, 25k for a private sale is a tad optimistic.  Last Sep I paid 21k for an immaculate 2010 987.2 manual with 34000 miles on the clock from an OPC including a 2yr Porsche warranty.

Quick look at Autotrader suggests your car is in the £20k bracket.

For £23k you can  get a 2011 S with 32,000 miles, several more available at £25k.

A 2010 model with 45,000 miles can be had for £21k.

I bought my 2009 987.2 Boxster S (manual) from an OPC last year (March) for £22k  with just over 50k on the clock. Came with the remainder of warranty up to June and then a further two years warranty form then ...... I think £25 is way to optimistic for a private sale without any warranty.

But I wish you good luck with the sale.

1 hour ago, MH82 said:

Just to clarify, have not made any decision to sell, just curious and seeking some advice.

you can now use this thread to provide supporting evidence to SWMBO that selling the Boxster is a silly idea and now you must keep it, and buy a £1,000 Volvo V90 to do all the kid carrying duties. You might want to delete the bit where you admitted your spend! :)

Good luck with surviving that conversation!! 😜

I would not sell it, you've invested far too much in it, enjoy it. You'll regret it in a few years time.

Get the passenger airbag switch and isofix mounts installed for around £400, then the baby can go in the front seat! 

As the others have said, get a cheap hatchback as a runabout, can you not use SWMBO car for family trips?

Even consider putting the Box into storage and sorn it, to keep your costs down.

To be honest, it was less a case of needing something more practical and more about pulling cash out of the car and into other cr*p like offsetting maternity leave etc. Will just have to see where we get to

1 hour ago, MH82 said:

To be honest, it was less a case of needing something more practical and more about pulling cash out of the car and into other cr*p like offsetting maternity leave etc. Will just have to see where we get to

well if that's the case, the mods have seriously devalued the car, so i will open the bids and take it off your hands for £500 and a slightly used chainsaw? :)

Archived