My 2011 987 Black Edition

Jonttt

The boxster is c9 years old and 65k miles on the clock .......the headlights needed a refurb......

from this....

b9mkOeV.jpg

to this.....

7AocLm0.jpg

......polished up fine using 500 and 800 grit and a couple of different polishing compound.......

HsnTDpa.jpg

w0Lt5vL.jpg

This type of aggressive refurbishment does remove the UV protection of the plastic so they will fade / discolour pretty quickly if not protected.....I have some clear film UV protection for headlights but it always takes something away from the final finish so decided to try some silicon liquid sealent which is supposed to last up to 1 year ie it puts a thin silicon layer which you can't see over the plastic ....

GTcrQo3.jpg

will be interesting to see how these hold up over the next 12 months....hopefully this these will now just be part of the normal annual detail and reapply the ceramic coating.....there are enough seperate sachets in the box for 5 years of annual applications  :bandit:

• Like 1

Jeez you are a messy worker!! 😆

So much easier and quicker to use one of the many headlight restoration kits available. I used the T-cut one, the polish cuts very nicely and easily and comes with UV protector as well which has held up very well since polishing them 6 months ago. The kit was only about £8 as well

So a bit of Carbon uniqueness :)

hand made in Germany.....carbon rear diffusers

maMC1dy.jpg

leYqeya.jpg

GkwJ62v.jpg

Its looks like the Rear Diffusers are a "tab" fitment into the rear bumper...anyone removed these before to confirm ?

• 1 month later...

Well the car would normally go into winter storage at this time of year anyway but tier 3 covid restrictions made that inevitable.......I've really not used it that much this year despite decent weather as just been limited re travel due to covid .......but if nothing else I have enjoyed just looking at it on the drive 😁

So the car went into storage on the 20/10/20 and this morning I had chance to overinflate the tyres by 4PSI........it will likely sit here now until next March  :roll: 

E2eG03L.jpg

ZA7WmBT.jpg

on its trickle charger ...

cEslzgG.jpg

I did pick up a couple of second hand bargains recently.......

....small hand held master blaster (filtered warm air) for drying tyres. I have a large unit but don't always use it........I think I'll use this most of the time for smaller areas....it has quite a kick...

BsEeExh.jpg

.....and an official Porsche 997 sun shade (hope it fits not had chance to test).....

Fy79O9Z.jpg

for a fully accessorised boot 😁 ...

gnxtaUo.jpg

....till next Spring :bye:

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

So after 5 months in hibernation and a month of messing around in the 993 the boxster is back on the road........ 

I “got away” with no MOT last year as it was due in July but the government had extended MOT’s covering that period for 6 months and so by the time it went in hibernation at the end of October there was no need to get one......but it did mean it was out of MOT now ......fortunately you are legally allowed to drive to a pre booked MOT without an MOT so I took advantage of Halfords Free MOT offer and booked it in  

..........I literally took the cover off the car (its been on a battery maintainer), woke it from sleep mode by using the drivers lock to unlock it with the key, put the cover in the frunk ......and drove to the MOT centre  

They where very efficient at the test centre.....normal putting plastic sheet on the drivers seat but then wrapping the steering wheel and handbrake with cling film and wearing disposable gloves for the test........the end result ......easy pass with no advisories.......the best £0 I have spent all day 

So good to get the car back on the road.......really forgot how rifle the short shift gear change is on these things and how eager the engine is to press on......when you enter the test centre car park and all the mechanics walk to the bay doors to watch you park you get a nice warm feeling   ......picking up the test certificate the manager just said “its a very clean car, no problems at all”........I drove off content ...and floored it 

Edited by Jonttt
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bayernlarge said:

Congrats.

what is sleep mode btw?

From my 987.2 manual - remote key control will go to sleep after 7 days.

You can wake it up again by simply pulling on the door handle rather than inserting the key.

• Like 1

????? The above confirms what I do when the remote has not been used for over 7 days and the car is in sleep mode ie insert key into drivers door lock, manually unlock the car to “wake up” the car but DO NOT open the door......press the unlock key on the remote to disable the alarm and you can then open the drivers door ............I think you need to rotate the key barrel with the key to wake up the car not just lift the handle ......I’ve never tried it but that not what the above from the owners manual says 

21 minutes ago, Jonttt said:

????? The above confirms what I do when the remote has not been used for over 7 days and the car is in sleep mode ie insert key into drivers door lock, manually unlock the car to “wake up” the car but DO NOT open the door......press the unlock key on the remote to disable the alarm and you can then open the drivers door ............I think you need to rotate the key barrel with the key to wake up the car not just lift the handle ......I’ve never tried it but that not what the above from the owners manual says 

but what the manual doesn’t say is that the same wake up is accomplished by lifting the drivers door handle.  No need to manually unlock with the key.  

Don’t know why it’s not documented but seems easier to me. For some reason I captured it on my previous car. 

https://youtube.com/shorts/3VGA2Qs7Exs

I've wondered why my car doesn't unlock immediately upon the first press of the remote button sometimes. During lockdown it's often been 7+ days between uses, so this explains it.

But I haven't been aware of the insert key, or lift door handle method of waking up the car. I'm sure I've just pressed the button a few times and it's unlocked.

I'll pay closer attention to this from now on and see. Thanks for the answers though.

• 2 weeks later...

Walked past the car yesturday and noticed the back tyre was flat 🙄...........could not see anything in it so tried pumping it up to at least be able to drive it for a repair but the air was hissing out....guess I was lucky to get home the night before .......so wheel off and a large screw right on the shoulder, the angle it had entered had already made the hole larger with shoulder flex..........I feared the worst and yep it was none repairable due to it being right on the should ie any repair would just split .........worst thing was there was still c5mm of tread on the tyre........so new tyre ordered.......I could not be bothered with the hassle of shopping around so just got the best price I could from the local place I had gone for the repair....£230 fitted........had to leave the car on axle stands overnight and refitted this morning.

I’m hoping to use the car most of next week so just glad I noticed it before I drove off in it 😬

Isn't it just a nice feeling to have new rubber boots?? 😍 One thing about now having the Boxster is I can't swap the fronts and rears around as I normally do on my usual front wheel drive cars. Jontt, if you see this can I ask that you drop me a PM? I'm after some advice re a rear spoiler same as yours. Your message box may be full. Cheers...Rob (Gramps)

I had a business meeting today (remember those 😆) in Lancashire today so took the boxster for its first blast of the year to clear out the cobwebs..........two things really get brought home when driving it again ........the NA power delivery and the steering feedback........I’ve said it a few times now but the steering is the one thing that has shocked me compared to more modern cars........its so nice to actually be able to feel what the car is doing through the wheel 

Edited by Jonttt

• 1 month later...

Finally !!!!.......managed to get out on a fast road run in the boxster  :drive: ....and in a group which I've not done for years ....great to get out with a bunch of guys who are not afraid to drive these cars as they should be  :thumb: 

So the NW 911UK crew met up at various points to make it over for a run around the Forest of Bowland with fish and chips in Settle as the destination.....

initially I followed Harrie in his Exige 410 :cigar: for a gentle amble up the M6......the noise from that thing made the boring part of the trip very entertaining 😁

dSHhiqv.jpg

....the final meet up point was Booths in cl*theroe to empty bladders 

EUWt02Z.jpg

Spot the wingless wolf in sheeps clothing

l8elIhx.jpg

We then proceeded on the route proper.......too fast to safely take any pics but lets just say I had fun following the GT3 Touring  :thumb: 

I was a fantatic run out.....you really can't beat a fast B road run, with great weather, light traffic on unfamiliar undulating and twisty roads (the weather had been mixed earlier but dry and it was  effectively an evening run)......reminds you what driving is really all about away from the traffic light grand prix's 😉 .....being back in convoy at pace really is an experience to be shared, as much as I love a solo run there is something added with the shared experience......

The run back was a little more gentile but great none the less as the sun set over the scenary on offer......we even managed the obligatory Ribble Viaduct pics....

C8e9VVK.jpg

mu7Jgks.jpg

Here's hoping for more of the same this summer

ps big up to Frank who showed what a bit of Aussie enthusiasm and a £5k boxster can do   :o

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jonttt said:

Finally !!!!.......managed to get out on a fast road run in the boxster  :drive: ....and in a group which I've not done for years ....great to get out with a bunch of guys who are not afraid to drive these cars as they should be  :thumb: 

So the NW 911UK crew met up at various points to make it over for a run around the Forest of Bowland with fish and chips in Settle as the destination.....

initially I followed Harrie in his Exige 410 :cigar: for a gentle amble up the M6......the noise from that thing made the boring part of the trip very entertaining 😁

dSHhiqv.jpg

....the final meet up point was Booths in cl*theroe to empty bladders 

EUWt02Z.jpg

Spot the wingless wolf in sheeps clothing

l8elIhx.jpg

We then proceeded on the route proper.......too fast to safely take any pics but lets just say I had fun following the GT3 Touring  :thumb: 

I was a fantatic run out.....you really can't beat a fast B road run, with great weather, light traffic on unfamiliar undulating and twisty roads (the weather had been mixed earlier but dry and it was  effectively an evening run)......reminds you what driving is really all about away from the traffic light grand prix's 😉 .....being back in convoy at pace really is an experience to be shared, as much as I love a solo run there is something added with the shared experience......

The run back was a little more gentile but great none the less as the sun set over the scenary on offer......we even managed the obligatory Ribble Viaduct pics....

C8e9VVK.jpg

mu7Jgks.jpg

Here's hoping for more of the same this summer

ps big up to Frank who showed what a bit of Aussie enthusiasm and a £5k boxster can do   :o

Sounds like fun. Looking forward to my mini Wales road trip in a couple of weeks, hope the weathers good for it. Is that Jasper Carrot and his other half in the Exige with the matching sunglasses?? 😉

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...