PDK in a 718 GTS

Davidbf1.com

So I just jumped into a Boxster 718 GTS this morning for a couple of days whilst a minor fluid leak is investigated in my 981 GTS - I hadn’t realised that the PDK gearbox shifter is different to mine - 718 push forward to change DOWN to a lower gear, whereas mine pushing forward changes to up eg 5->6

Yup - tampering with nature - i have a 987.2 pdk - from the very first drive it was "the wrong way around"- coming from jap bikes towards you is UP , away is down. Took a good few miles to learn. - And then i got a 718 as a loaner (seperate thread but I LOVED it) - and its all the other/right/wrong way around - thank god it saves you from meltdown when that "spirited drive" in OPC's car around some of your favourite lanes, turns from a perfectly executed series of upshifts into an "omg - what just happened"

wasn't so bad to get used to because my brain said "different interior, different car, think" but coming from a 981 wouldn't have the cue......

glad they have now got it "right" - bad that I will have to re-learn

Far better solution is using paddles on the steering wheel, definitely a must have for me when spec'ing a car.  

On my BMW, it's often left in fully auto but use the paddles when I want additional engine braking.  

1 hour ago, mneil said:

Should it not be possible to reprogram, as it's only electronically switched surely?

for non paddle wheels (at least on my 987.2) there are three places where the "direction"  is present -  both buttons on the wheel do up and down (away from you is "up", towards you is ""down") - this matches the forward is "up" backward is "down" of the gearstick in manual mode. All three of these send canbus signals rather than a simple electrical connection - i guess you might be able to physically reverse the wiring in the wheel (but I bet its major surgery) you may well be into closed black box electronics and I don't think the risks are worth the rewards.

1 hour ago, RickLS7 said:

Far better solution is using paddles on the steering wheel, definitely a must have for me when spec'ing a car.  

On my BMW, it's often left in fully auto but use the paddles when I want additional engine braking.  

The paddles are standard fit on a PDK 718.

I only use the paddles on mine, for that full on racing driver look :)

Not difficult to switch round the micro switches in the lever - but you wont' be able to do a cheap and tidy label change.

It's is on my list of things to do if I do not renew warranty. I've hit the rev limiter on a couple of overtakes due to holding the lever and flooring it = select a gear lower.

Yep, was wondering for a while why it wouldn’t change using the lever, and realised I was pushing/pulling it the wrong way. Moot point anyhow as i very rarely use the big stick if I’m non-manual it’s always on the paddles. 

Appreciate the comments from all others comparing with other vehicles, motorbikes etc, but my 981 seems right to me - push forward to go to a taller gear as you’re pushing forward speed-wise, and pull back when you’re on the anchors and looking for some engine-braking, and decreasing speed. Appreciate I may be the black sheep on this one!

I wonder if the electronics wizard @gpsadapter in China has a plug and play module to convert them over. When I changed over my MF from my 981 to the new 781 MF it was incredibly simple thanks to his genius.

2 hours ago, Davidbf1.com said:

Yep, was wondering for a while why it wouldn’t change using the lever, and realised I was pushing/pulling it the wrong way. Moot point anyhow as i very rarely use the big stick if I’m non-manual it’s always on the paddles. 

Appreciate the comments from all others comparing with other vehicles, motorbikes etc, but my 981 seems right to me - push forward to go to a taller gear as you’re pushing forward speed-wise, and pull back when you’re on the anchors and looking for some engine-braking, and decreasing speed. Appreciate I may be the black sheep on this one!

As most rally, touring cars are pull for up and push for down i was on the understanding when breaking hard its easier to push for down as the momentum is pushing you forward anyway

I must be thick. Our Macan has PDK - pull only. Right for up a gear, left for down. What is all this pushing you are talking about? Surely the levers on the 718 are the same as the Macan, ie pull only?

10 minutes ago, Happy Days said:

I must be thick. Our Macan has PDK - pull only. Right for up a gear, left for down. What is all this pushing you are talking about? Surely the levers on the 718 are the same as the Macan, ie pull only?

We are taking about the stick not the paddles on the steering wheel. The pdk in the macan is not the same as the boxster pdk . The macan is actually the vw group one and although called pdk is actually the dsg box.

The boxster one along with the 911 was developed by ZF

52 minutes ago, MIkeyv60 said:

We are taking about the stick not the paddles on the steering wheel. The pdk in the macan is not the same as the boxster pdk . The macan is actually the vw group one and although called pdk is actually the dsg box.

The boxster one along with the 911 was developed by ZF

I'm enlightened!

On 7/12/2019 at 11:19 PM, Toeside said:

Must be a motorbike thing........ up...... or back ........ means go up a gear Got it sussed on the 981 and GTD

on my motorbike I have a race pattern gearshift shift = up for 1st then down for the rest - HUGE improvement and much more balanced during spirited rides . . . as regards PDK in the 987 - it's perfectly logical to me

I remember back when the PDK first had the + -   almost everyone on forums and in magazines complained that it was the wrong way around, it was not intuitive and was different to almost all other manufacturers.   Of course once you have used it for a while you soon become accustomed.  It seems Porsche have finally listened and changed it.  

On the 992 generation it looks like the option of using the stick in this way has been completely removed, i for one would miss this. I don’t use the stick all the time but find it really useful when pulling out of junctions etc when you have heavy lock on and the wheel is upside down, I often find I want to change to 2nd before the wheel is unwound and the static stick is much easier in this scenario IMO.

1 hour ago, Greenman said:

I remember back when the PDK first had the + -   almost everyone on forums and in magazines complained that it was the wrong way around, it was not intuitive and was different to almost all other manufacturers.   Of course once you have used it for a while you soon become accustomed.  It seems Porsche have finally listened and changed it.  

On the 992 generation it looks like the option of using the stick in this way has been completely removed, i for one would miss this. I don’t use the stick all the time but find it really useful when pulling out of junctions etc when you have heavy lock on and the wheel is upside down, I often find I want to change to 2nd before the wheel is unwound and the static stick is much easier in this scenario IMO.

Ditto, that's the only time I use the stick too!

Archived