One Touch Unit

Terryg

Just a quick word of thanks to @Mark Lane I bought a one touch unit off him a few weeks ago and I fitted it today. First off the build quality and instructions were great. second I had a "blonde" moment and contacted Mark and he responded straight away, put me on the right track and never called me a tw*t (he would have been entitled to). The gadget is working great and I am looking forward to the day when the sun shines again (2021 I believe) and I can get to use it. So if anyone is in the market for one of these, doesn't want to buy a used original one, would like to buy from a BoXa.net member and get some support from a genuine nice guy and can persuade Mark to build them one, I would say go ahead.

5 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

What's a one touch unit.? 

You don't keep you finger on the button to lower the roof. just touch it once and it goes down, touch it again and it goes up, used in conjunction with the relay modification it works really well, you can lower roof up to about 30 mph.

5 hours ago, Terryg said:

You don't keep you finger on the button to lower the roof. just touch it once and it goes down, touch it again and it goes up, used in conjunction with the relay modification it works really well, you can lower roof up to about 30 mph.

@Terryg how much was this? How long to fit? 

I have the Smarttop. The other day I didn't open the latch properly and it caught on the way open, but it stopped itself before it ripped off the latch. If these homebrew efforts can copy that feature then it would be another plus. 

Agreed, I tried modifying my relay but ended up buying a Smarttop.  It's easy to customise and works flawlessly.

You can get them for the 981/716 too and they add some really cool features (in addition to hood control).

Trust @Terryg to open up the age old question almost every Porsche driver (who’s been to a strip club..) has asked:

“How much for touching?”

I have an arduino based one touch roof mod myself. A flawless little box of tricks that ticks every box. 

I admire all those with the patience and will to put these together! 

8 hours ago, edc said:

I have the Smarttop. The other day I didn't open the latch properly and it caught on the way open, but it stopped itself before it ripped off the latch. If these homebrew efforts can copy that feature then it would be another plus. 

They do, 

because the thermal cut out is in the motor drivers and not the switching kits. 

Like Anti trap windows. 🤓

If that is the case why are there reports of owners ripping out the latch when not opening it enough and catching it on opening? 

1 hour ago, edc said:

If that is the case why are there reports of owners ripping out the latch when not opening it enough and catching it on opening? 

Hmmmm.... 

Have you heard of the IMS bearing failure...?

🤔

22 hours ago, Terryg said:

You can (BUT REALLY REALLY SHOULDN'T UNLESS YOU ARE VIDEOING IT FOR US TO WATCH) activate it below 28mph IIRC then accelerate like a Barsteward just to check how strong your roof mechanism is :)

18 hours ago, Bez9794 said:

@Terryg how much was this? How long to fit? 

Took me about 45 minutes but I was doing it in torrential rain so couldn't have the doors open let alone the top down and that was a major hindrance because you can't get your body in the position required and it was too dark. The largest amount of time goes in threading the wire behind dash and to the fuse box and my console  delete did make this slightly more difficult but the rest is really simple.

I suggest you message Mark on price and availability, he may not want to do any more, I just wanted to acknowledge the quality of what he built and his help.

13 hours ago, jonogt6 said:

Hmmm these things worry me. Too many stories of perfectly good roof mechanisms being broken after installation. 😗

Wow,

hope it doesn’t happens to me. 

But then. I feel the same way about IMS, despite both my cars having ceramic ones🤷🏾‍♂️

As Einstein said...

“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”

23 hours ago, jonogt6 said:

Hmmm these things worry me. Too many stories of perfectly good roof mechanisms being broken after installation. 😗

Even if it didn't you only have to touch the button again to stop it, can't say I have ever seen it mentioned elsewhere but I certainly have bigger things to worry about.

Another big fan of this unit here too. I heard about this through a friend and @Mark Lane was kind enough to make one for me.

Super easy install and operated in the same way as the 1-touch electric windows. If there's an issue just touch the button again and it stops moving.

Personally I've never heard any tales of ruined roof mechanisms or other problems with opening the roof. 

I believe it also works with the 996 cab too.

Nothing but positive things to say about this and Mark seems to be a lovely chap to deal with. 👍

First post but had to chime in and say I also have a one-touch unit from @Mark Lane and echo what @ragpicker says 100%.

Im no wizard with car modifications, but the quality of this unit, clear instructions and great support from Mark when needed made it a fantastic addition to my car. We now raise and lower the roof whilst rolling on or off the Boxster's parking space on our drive!

What a time to be alive, as a great man once said 👍

Whilst its not totally the "same" 987.1 and 987.2 already have a one touch - above 5 and below 30 a single "click" and let go of the button will put the roof through the open or close process (physical catch needs to be operated at the start/end obvs) - below 5 you have to keep your finger on it and much above 30 it gets a bit upset if you try.

6 minutes ago, Jonttt said:

Hi mark, does this work for a 987.2 (2011) ? If so can you PM me how to pay please 

Your car does this already Jon? 

Drive above 5mph, unlock the latch, press the roof down button once. 

Likewise roof up in the same way.

Speed range is 5mph to 30mph... 

1 minute ago, Paul P said:

Whilst its not totally the "same" 987.1 and 987.2 already have a one touch - above 5 and below 30 a single "click" and let go of the button will put the roof through the open or close process (physical catch needs to be operated at the start/end obvs) - below 5 you have to keep your finger on it and much above 30 it gets a bit upset if you try.

Haha I was just typing my response! 

Yep, I'm aware of that but I usually drop the roof / raise it on my drive so the option to do one touch whilst stationary is appealing 

Archived