What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

Re: bonnet clips. OPC closed due to virus. 911 Porsche want my eyes as well my money. £8 for clip, £2.59 vat and £4.95 postage. Total £15.54. Yes £4.95 postage, are these people for real and how are they still in business. I know it’s only £15.54 but I very much resent being taken for a fool and then robbed for postage. If it costs them 95p Postage I would be surprised. I will wait for OPC to reopen as there is no rush and it will save me paying stupid postage (Profit) costs. I know people will think I am tight but If we keep paying these stupid prices they will keep on charging them. Rant over. Air filter arrived today along with magnetic wing protector so going to fit that and then that’s the car fully oiled, filtered and plugged changed ready for when we can go out again. Will stick it on the CTek charger to keep it in good battery health.

2 hours ago, Kenbo1000 said:

Update, it’s not 911 Porsche that my rant is aimed at it’s Design 911. My apologies to 911 Porsche.

Yep sadly Design911 aren't the cheapest and inflate their prices on Genuine parts quite considerably. Think they wanted £40-£50 more for a genuine gearshift mechanism, got it from the OPC in the end and free delivery.

They supplied and fitted my exhaust system, the labour charge was nearly as much as the system, it was near Xmas- so needs must.

I did once buy one of the small bolts that hold in the rear light and that was sheer extortion, but as you said needs must but not this time. I  will alter some other spring clip or visit OPC. Have changed air filter today, bit of a bugger to get onto the flange but not that bad.Mine also has the Bose unit and Porsche must have been short of wire when they were fitting it, there must be a whole half inch of play in the wire. While the lid was off I cleaned the engine and blew out the drain holes with the air line. Ordered some black aluminium mesh and as soon as that arrives I will remove the bumper again and fit it in the vents. I am really enjoying this period and learning about the Porsche as I go.

Stay safe everyone.

Started on top to tail clean today. Removed nearside wheels, jet washed the arches then took the liners out to clean all the tar spots off and finally gave them a coat of tyre gel which seemed to work well last summer.  Finally went a bit mad and decided to paint the rusting clips and the torx screws with some Black Hammerite. Gonna need a concours somewhere to show off! :laugh:

23 hours ago, red rocket said:

Not today, maybe tomorrow.

As promised and

18 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

Without photos, it never happened! 😜

for ye (Matt) of little faith: 

Torx screws and clips painted yesterday2lIK0WO.jpg

Front nearside arch liners cleaned and 'waxed' with Wonder Wheels tyre gelF02m7G5.jpg

Today's work started with front sections of the rear near side arch liner.

As removed after pressure washing4qWEYTH.jpg

After scrubbing and removal of tar spotsIZmd8TD.jpg

After treatment with tyre gelNMe1VGT.jpg

Unfortunately it turns out the rear section has been riveted in place at one point presumably due to a problem with the clip so had to clean and treat that in situ.

Refitting the front liners was a pig but got there in the end. 

Have now got the front off side liners off, ready for de-tarring, and pressure washed the arch itselfD374rfV.jpg

Have also painted the screws and clips ready for refitting tomorrow. Then it's on to the rear off side arch.

Edited by red rocket

26 minutes ago, red rocket said:

As promised and

Front nearside arch liners cleaned and 'waxed' with Wonder Wheels tyre gelF02m7G5.jpg

Today's work started with front sections of the rear near side arch liner.

As removed after pressure washing4qWEYTH.jpg

After scrubbing and removal of tar spotsIZmd8TD.jpg

After treatment with tyre gelNMe1VGT.jpg

Unfortunately it turns out the rear section has been riveted in place at one point presumably due to a problem with the clip so had to clean and treat that in situ.

Refitting the front liners was a pig but got there in the end. 

Have now got the front off side liners off, ready for de-tarring, and pressure washed the arch itselfD374rfV.jpg

Have also paints the screws and clips ready for refitting tomorrow. Then it's on to the rear off side arch.

Hats off to you sir! That is an impressive amount of work going on there 🤠

12 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

Hats off to you sir! That is an impressive amount of work going on there 🤠

Thanks. Starting to wonder whether it's too much but it keeps me busy and i have plenty of time on my hands.

1 hour ago, red rocket said:

As promised and

Nice work and lots of it Peter 👍.

I'd like to know though, just how old is that tin of Hammerite? 😆

4 minutes ago, Bluepork03 said:

Nice work and lots of it Peter 👍.

I'd like to know though, just how old is that tin of Hammerite? 😆

Thanks Al. The Hammerite is probably at least 20 years old (no sense wasting it!). You can tell things have changed as modern Hammerite thinners don't clean the brush. Good job i've got some acetone!

Just now, red rocket said:

Thanks Al. The Hammerite is probably at least 20 years old (no sense wasting it!). You can tell things have changed as modern Hammerite thinners don't clean the brush. Good job i've got some acetone!

Thrifty! 

Must get a run out when permitted 😎

9 hours ago, bally4563 said:

The rear section is riveted for some reason?

Yes, on the near side rear arch, where it looks like there should be a screw there's a rivet so i can't remove that piece of the liner. I assume that the clip was lost/broken so a screw couldn't be used and somebody thought a rivet would solve the problem. 

Edit: what i call a clip seems to be called a speed nut by Porsche.

Edited by red rocket

1 hour ago, red rocket said:

Yes, on the near side rear arch, where it looks like there should be a screw there's a rivet so i can't remove that piece of the liner. I assume that the clip was lost/broken so a screw couldn't be used and somebody thought a rivet would solve the problem. 

Edit: what i call a clip seems to be called a speed nut by Porsche.

Just checked mine and both sides have a large head rivet, so we must assume that's how they are.

On 2 April 2020 at 11:01 AM, Kenbo1000 said:

Re: bonnet clips. OPC closed due to virus. 911 Porsche want my eyes as well my money. £8 for clip, £2.59 vat and £4.95 postage. Total £15.54. Yes £4.95 postage, are these people for real and how are they still in business. I know it’s only £15.54 but I very much resent being taken for a fool and then robbed for postage. If it costs them 95p Postage I would be surprised. I will wait for OPC to reopen as there is no rush and it will save me paying stupid postage (Profit) costs. I know people will think I am tight but If we keep paying these stupid prices they will keep on charging them. Rant over. Air filter arrived today along with magnetic wing protector so going to fit that and then that’s the car fully oiled, filtered and plugged changed ready for when we can go out again. Will stick it on the CTek charger to keep it in good battery health.

Yes I had to bite the bullet and buy one, outrageous!!especially when I bought a air con condenser rad for £23 plus postage from AutoDoc in Germany!!!

57 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Yes I had to bite the bullet and buy one, outrageous!!especially when I bought a air con condenser rad for £23 plus postage from AutoDoc in Germany!!!

Sounds super cheap for a new rad? What brand was it?

5 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Just checked mine and both sides have a large head rivet, so we must assume that's how they are.

Yes, i've now had the offside rear wheel off and there is indeed another rivet. Looks like they decided to fix the liner to the heatshield material or vice versa.

Started to replace control arms, drop links and tuning forks. 

Struggled but managed to get everything off,  have come to replace the control arms i purchased from GSF, but they are not the correct ones 🤬

They are Meyle part no 4160500000 on the part and 422PO0010 on the Meyle box. The part where the tuning forks fit is to thin, I will post some pics later.

Problem is i purchased these in December 2019. Emailed GSF to see what they are prepared to do, but not holding out much hope as gone past 30 days return window. Their web site says they are the correct part for my car and year.

Gutted!