What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

Attempted to change my door speakers, but failed and am now feeling right peed off! After finally getting the NS door card (bloody hell they are brutal to get off!) and main speaker panel off, I noticed I had the wrong size speakers :( I bought a pair of Vibe 6.5" (having seen a few posts on here about them) but the originals that are in the doors are 7.5". Very surprised about that.. am I missing something? Is there an adaptor mount or something that I need? Can anybody help?

1 hour ago, Liberty said:

No idea why it works now and not the first time I tried.Maybe the update disc needs to go in twice to complete?

Just turned on the ignition,put the disc in,pressed confirm update,a few seconds later it said install map cd and that was it.Works fine 👍

@Mick D

glad to hear the discs did their job!.....eventually. 

6 hours ago, moneypit said:

I really would like to do something about them, heavy week for cars coming up generally though. MR2 goes in for a 6 speed box conversion, along with bigger driveshafts, clutch, front discs, pads and braided hoses, central locking alarm and fuel filter on Thursday. Haven't dared ask what the cost of that's going to come in at!

Drove the Porsche properly this morning for the first time in a year, I'd forgotten what a lovely thing it really is. Even better with new brakes, so no judder now. Tyres still required, so those wheels still aren't out of the running just yet.

Ok , as said not pushing them just yet

So today I installed one Nighteye LED headlight bulb.  Why only one?

Because the headlight removal tool which does fit the n/s headlight retainer doesn't fit the o/s headlight retainer!  I've had a look as much as I can and the o/s socket appears to be square but the n/s is the (correct) 5mm socket wrench style.

I can only think of bad reasons why they would be different!

Ordered the 986 tool to see if that fits but who knows what horrors are lurking behind the headlight 😮

23 minutes ago, nixster said:

So today I installed one Nighteye LED headlight bulb.  Why only one?

Because the headlight removal tool which does fit the n/s headlight retainer doesn't fit the o/s headlight retainer!  I've had a look as much as I can and the o/s socket appears to be square but the n/s is the (correct) 5mm socket wrench style.

I can only think of bad reasons why they would be different!

Ordered the 986 tool to see if that fits but who knows what horrors are lurking behind the headlight 😮

Oh dear - not just mashed then ? I know some folks have said they are made out of Camembert.

I took mine off for the first time recently to ensure there was no comedy lurking.

Good luck with getting it sorted.

Cheers.

No, that was my first thought but the end of the tool just wasn't going in the socket and while it's hard to see in there it did look neat but square.  The h/l has a dink in lower left area so I have my suspicions.

The comedy is when the light lets go of the retainer with a BANG and you jump 10 feet 'cos you assume you broke it when you do them for the first time 😄

1 minute ago, nixster said:

Cheers.

No, that was my first thought but the end of the tool just wasn't going in the socket and while it's hard to see in there it did look neat but square.  The h/l has a dink in lower left area so I have my suspicions.

The comedy is when the light lets go of the retainer with a BANG and you jump 10 feet 'cos you assume you broke it when you do them for the first time 😄

Yeah I carped (sic) myself when I had that experience the first time, it's quite a noise. I was getting ready to see a few hundred quids worth hit the deck.

56 minutes ago, Tony Daniel said:

After 2000 miles round Scotland last week I treated the car to a new set of rear tyres. Michelin ps4s at not a bad price from Kwik fit, fitted at home by one of there mobile guys. 

+1 for Kwik mobile. 

I had good results from Kwik fit mobile for rear ps2’s a few months back.  Reasonable price and great care taken. 

On 9/29/2020 at 6:31 PM, nixster said:

Cheers.

Mystery solved. Previous owner had managed to get a socket stuck on the end of the retaining bar. Perhaps because it was an imperial sized socket...

https://i.imgur.com/jXY3OfG.jpg

Edited by nixster
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I have a snap-on screw driver, a pair of pliers and two ratchet handles i found in the engine bay of my XJ-S years ago.  

Mind you, I did lose a fingernail and a torch in there that someone scored down the line. (Some you win some you lose ) 

Took her up to Lee at Cotswold Porsche for brake fluid change and gearbox oil change.

2 hours ago, MickH said:

Got her lowered on H&R Springs with full alignment done

I know many people go lower but I am surprised as even though I have standard suspension virtually every time I go out for a spirited drive I scrape the front end over dips. I suppose the harder springs compensate for the lower ride height.

I have speed bumps on the way into my estate. And oddly im scraping less now that its lowered. Im sure it must be down to the added stiffness 

With the alignment I got some adjustable toe arms for £100 which had made a big difference. However I do need some camber arms as well to get it perfect. 

Its within tolerance but I will upgrade next time its in the garage