What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

15 hours ago, beaks said:

used an impact screwdriver to get the jokers out chap - when I went to use my screwdriver if was one of those 'danger danger' moments so common sense prevailed on this occasion!

cheers for the tips though!

Good pint on the impact driver.  Another thought is that it is the slightly bigger PH3 not the usual PH2 head on these screws so using the correct driver tip helps a lot, as the smaller one can more easily start to burr out.

• Like 1

Used a headlight restoration kit on her - as fronts had started to go cloudy - now look like new - used T- cut headlight restoration kit - wipe on wipe off ( using a bit of elbow grease ) then just wipe on the sealant - all for £16.50 😊

• Like 1

Babaa, you wrote; 

spent more money I didn't need to on a nice Porsche branded oil top up case, and a Porsche petrol can for the long trip (just in case), but need to get some sticky velcro to keep it in place like the oil instead of sliding all over the place

What was your Porsche branded top up case and what oil do you use?

Cheers.

Tombri

7 minutes ago, Julian McHardy said:

Babaa, you wrote; 

spent more money I didn't need to on a nice Porsche branded oil top up case, and a Porsche petrol can for the long trip (just in case), but need to get some sticky velcro to keep it in place like the oil instead of sliding all over the place

What was your Porsche branded top up case and what oil do you use?

Cheers.

Tombri

Hiya,

The bag was - https://www.frazerpart.com/cgi-bin/sh000005.pl?WD=storage oil bag&PN=Porsche-oil-top-up-kit-and-bag.html#SID=25

The oil I got was as per manual from Amazon - Mobil 1 FS 0W-40, 1L

Hope that helps -- Babaa

45 minutes ago, Liberty said:

Which one?Mine needs a change.Currently got Fuchs sintopoid in fleebay basket.

I went for Millers TRX , but I don’t think there is a lot in it , new good oil and old original oil , it’s got to be better?

2 hours ago, bally4563 said:

I went for Millers TRX , but I don’t think there is a lot in it , new good oil and old original oil , it’s got to be better?

I think I spotted Bally today on the M6 by junction 10. The Cayman spoiler was what caught my eye as I was half asleep, the car looked great 👍 

8 hours ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

I think I spotted Bally today on the M6 by junction 10. The Cayman spoiler was what caught my eye as I was half asleep, the car looked great 👍 

You most certainly did, company hack has failed its MOT, so had to resort to personal transport whilst it’s sorted

3 hours ago, JonSta said:

Tell us if it feels better. Thinking of doing mine when it goes in for service. Not due but the shift is notchy when it's cold.

Made the 6 speed in my 986 S much less agricultural particularly when cold.  Bear in mind this oil has probably never been changed before as IIRC there isn't an official service interval for it so its what 12 - 15 years old and will be way past its best and design life.  FWIW my indy used Millers.

Edited by ½cwt

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Made the 6 speed in my 986 S much less agricultural particularly when cold.  Bear in mind this oil has probably never been changed before as IIRC there isn't an official service interval for it so its what 12 - 15 years old and will be way past its best and design life.  FWIW my indy used Millers.

IIRC in my service book it says 130,000 miles for the tranny. Millers good by me - used it before with good results.

1 hour ago, Liberty said:

Fitted low beam nighteye LEDS.Sadly they flicker a lot and I can’t work out if the 2 cobs should be facing up and down or left and right?Any ideas?

I thought they were designed so they only fitted one way? Probably wrong but when I did mine I didn't notice any problems.

18 minutes ago, entdgc said:

I thought they were designed so they only fitted one way? Probably wrong but when I did mine I didn't notice any problems.

Thanks, so did I but after fitting and turned on seems that the driver side has the cobs top and bottom,near side cob left and right? Any way just went for a drive and errors on the dash when they flicker so I must have done something wrong.

Took a trip to Cotswold Porsche for him to fit Carnewal exhaust and pse tailpipes 

2.5 h later all done all done lambda tested all passed ok .

lee said that they get different results from Gert  and rate them at ok .good and very good ,glad to say he rated mine at very good .took long way home and accidentally found myself going up fish hill 🤪

any way exhaust sounds great ,louder deeper and just more Porsche like also produces nice crackles on over run and in between gear changes,but still quite on cruising with no drone ,and when revved till redline sounds epic ,

On 10/15/2020 at 12:52 PM, JonSta said:

Tell us if it feels better. Thinking of doing mine when it goes in for service. Not due but the shift is notchy when it's cold.

Much smoother, job worth doing my car has done 70K

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Davey rocket said:

Took a trip to Cotswold Porsche for him to fit Carnewal exhaust and pse tailpipes 

2.5 h later all done all done lambda tested all passed ok .

lee said that they get different results from Gert  and rate them at ok .good and very good ,glad to say he rated mine at very good .took long way home and accidentally found myself going up fish hill 🤪

any way exhaust sounds great ,louder deeper and just more Porsche like also produces nice crackles on over run and in between gear changes,but still quite on cruising with no drone ,and when revved till redline sounds epic ,

Funny how some people report crackles and pops with their carnewal and some say none. I love a bit of snap, crackle and pop myself. Used to have an alfasud sprint veloce that crackled beautifully. In fact that car did everything beautifully including recycling itself.....