What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

Lost track with endless grey days, went to start Boxster - dead as a doornail - in garage but it had unlocked and frunk popped - not how I'd left it, not even enough power to get drivers window down, so was tight squeeze to get in.
Left bonnet up, key in ignition, connected charger to battery direct.
Day later, still no joy, charger still shows amber, still not enough power to open window.

Remembered daughter had had a problem with her Jetta ages ago, left interior light on, borrowed a neighbors lithium jump starter, so I got her one and a stronger one for my cars, checked how much charge it had, 100%, hooked up to Boxster battery and everything sprang to life, started first time, only ran in garage yet, need to get out for a drive, but this was the one I have;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tacklife-Car-Jump-Starter-Quick-charge/dp/B07BGRN4TF

After starting the Boxster -, checked the amount in the Tacklife, showed 97%, impressed - A) that it started a dead car, B, only took 3% out of it!

May need a new battery 🙂  Will see...

P2198 sensor stuck rich 

caused by a leaking vapour canister purge valve I think ? (98711012801)

located under the left (bank 2) intake manifold 

No other codes and car runs perfectly smooth. 

Not a whole lot on this subject in the forums, I know it’s very common on Ford engines 

Anybody had this ?

CADBEF7E-3488-498B-B418-2F3CA022E553.jpeg

Edited by Tper8181

17 hours ago, Tper8181 said:

P2198 sensor stuck rich 

caused by a leaking vapour canister purge valve I think ? (98711012801)

located under the left (bank 2) intake manifold 

No other codes and car runs perfectly smooth. 

Not a whole lot on this subject in the forums, I know it’s very common on Ford engines 

Anybody had this ?

I don't remember seeing that term on here ever - but it sounds vaguely like an AOS...

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

I don't remember seeing that term on here ever - but it sounds vaguely like an AOS...

Had the AOS done recently, this is another valve that is apparently quite common. Although until my indie told me about it hadn’t heard it mentioned on the forums. The pipe and valve is £429 from Porsche. I will install myself.

Check engine P2198

Bank 2s2 reading of 0.05 doesn’t really fluctuate

Bank 1s2 is 0.585
Bank 1s1 is 0
Bank 2s1 is 0.047

Getting fault code p2198

Any help would be great, I’ve only just recently replaced every o2 sensor. The problem existed before replacing these

Edited by Tper8181

18 hours ago, JonSta said:

Started it. First time in 3 months. I love that little yowl when it starts from cold and I love how smooth it feels. Be really nice to actually drive it.....

Weather in this country sucks.

word around the camp fire is that 987's don't dissolve in the rain.

go out for a blast chap.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JonSta said:

The roads are wet and covered in slime. I'd have to drive slowly. No thanks.

Dude. I'm just back from the Yorkshire Dales. I had a decent blast. I'm still alive and so is the car.

It'll be cleaned tomorrow.

Your choice and it's totally cool. But I'll never understand it.

Edited by beaks

38 minutes ago, beaks said:

Dude. I'm just back from the Yorkshire Dales. I had a decent blast. I'm still alive and so is the car.

It'll be cleaned tomorrow.

Your choice and it's totally cool. But I'll never understand it.

Plenty of people ride motorcycles whatever the weather. On a motorcycle I like to explore the outer sticky bit of the handling envelope. If that bit isn't sticky I wouldn't bother - just not interesting to me. I drive the boxster in much the same way. I could drive it slower or more carefully but I'm not bothered. Same with the roof. I like it down. OK I have driven it topless when it was 5 degrees outside but I'd sooner not.  S'alright for you - you're from Yorkshire. I'm a namby pamby southerer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonSta said:

Plenty of people ride motorcycles whatever the weather. On a motorcycle I like to explore the outer sticky bit of the handling envelope. If that bit isn't sticky I wouldn't bother - just not interesting to me. I drive the boxster in much the same way. I could drive it slower or more carefully but I'm not bothered. Same with the roof. I like it down. OK I have driven it topless when it was 5 degrees outside but I'd sooner not.  S'alright for you - you're from Yorkshire. I'm a namby pamby southerer.

fair play chap - although I have to admit I'm a (shandy drinking) southerner too - and not only that a tier 4 southerner...

the joys of covid...

18 hours ago, beaks said:

fair play chap - although I have to admit I'm a (shandy drinking) southerner too - and not only that a tier 4 southerner...

the joys of covid...

Oh sorry - when you said the dales I didn't even bother to look at your sig.  To me the dales means covered in mud, soaking wet and hanging onto my mountain bike for dear life. Somehow I find that fun but cars and bikes - no.

• Like 1

Nothing photo worthy, but lots of picky little jobs done:

- changed the alignment on the litronic headlights after realising whilst driving in the dark that they didn't throw out light far enough to see pot holes until after you'd hit one. Took a few attempts against lines on a brick wall and then some test drives on the roads at night to check not blinding people, but happier now - might need to be adjusted at MOT time I guess, but that is months off and at least I can see the road in the meantime

think I have fixed the annoying rattle / click that the clear wind deflector used to make occasionally. Carefully cut some of the fluffy side of some self adhesive velcro to little strips and stuck around both bottom corners which I think is where the noise was coming from

- wasted a load of time researching and buying the right coolant to top up, only to realise that I should have made sure that when I initially checked, the car was on a flat road and not the slope of my drive - after getting it from the shop and then about to top up on a nice flat road, realised I had enough anyway 😞

- having heard some click / tap noises from what sounds like air con / ventilation fans every now and again, made sure it wasn't the USB cable I'd run behind the central console to power my phone and haven't heard it since, but early days yet and it seems a bit intermittent. All the heat / cold & direction settings seem to work, but it definitely makes some noises from passenger footwell every now and again mostly when just getting in & setting off

Having cumulatively spent a chunk of time on the above, did make sure I kept some time to go out and test my handy work on a rare dry day today, and realise once again just how good they are 🙂 

• Like 1

Front engine mount, interesting thing other than the two top bolts being awkward on this variant there is an additional T30 that bolts through chain tensioner, not obvious , couldn’t understand why it would not drop.

However due to limited access feel like Caprio out of the Revenant now!! 

Picked up my new (to me) car on Monday and fixed a few minor niggles today:

1. Polished the twin exhaust tips - the rest of the car was beautifully prepped, but this wasn't done for some reason

2. Cleaned the windscreen - hoping it was polish making the wipers drag, otherwise it'll be new blades

3. Repaired the lower CD storage tray in the glove-box as the front had come off

4. Removed and cleaned the sticky PCM knobs - good as new now