What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

18 hours ago, Dubdubz said:

Yes I have sent the venerable gentleman a message

Can they be helicoiled worst case - asking for an impatient friend who may have made things a bit worserer

I did say it’s a job i would not undertake without the jig

12 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

I did say it’s a job i would not undertake without the jig

True you did. I’ve done a few (not on a Boxster admittedly) and been ok in the past. That’s why I stopped. Hopefully it can be remedied. Will find out Tuesday when the jig arrives. Thank you again for rental 😊

also have a kwik lift - and meant that whilst I'm waiting on the jig from Bally4563
- I did the engine mount last night around 9pm when it was much cooler - it was fiddly but do-able.
You will need a ratchet 15mm and the 4 studs that hold the main bit a 1/4 inch socket will work if you dont have an E socket 😉 it was of course the one that was missing in my set 🤣
And is a fiddly pushme pullyou deal when its loose.

Rather than drop the lift and restrict my access I added some glued and screwed blocks to my jack so it would work ok supporting the engine.
I should really put up pics - will look to do that

Today I found out that I've buggered the drivers side headlamp when I applied Armour All headlamp wipes yesterday.
Now got a nice cloudy line on the inside edge.

n2LaVbb.jpg

They were fine, I should have left them as was but I wanted to get a layer of UV protection down before Belgium this weekend.

Hey ho. You live and learn. Need to do a proper restoration now.
Is this something that a body shop would do considering they have all the kit?

Edited by eob

55 minutes ago, eob said:

Today I found out that I've buggered the drivers side headlamp when I applied Armour All headlamp wipes yesterday.
Now got a nice cloudy line on the inside edge.

n2LaVbb.jpg

They were fine, I should have left them as was but I wanted to get a layer of UV protection down before Belgium this weekend.

Hey ho. You live and learn. Need to do a proper restoration now.
Is this something that a body shop would do considering they have all the kit?

I used a local bodyshop & they did a superb job. 18months on, they still look new.

18 minutes ago, McDonald said:

£90 per side IIRC. It seems expensive but the transformation and durability is pleasing every time I look at them.

That seems ok, especially if I'd have to be buying a DA, pads, compound etc.
I dont know if there is a lens replacement service like there is for the 981.
Replacement headlights are running at around £670 per side but I think mine will take a couple of attempts before I'm at the replacing stage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eob said:

That seems ok, especially if I'd have to be buying a DA, pads, compound etc.
I dont know if there is a lens replacement service like there is for the 981.
Replacement headlights are running at around £670 per side but I think mine will take a couple of attempts before I'm at the replacing stage.

£25 + vat and some elbow grease

https://www.cerakote.co.uk/shop/equipment/cerakote-ceramic-headlight-restoration-kit/cerakote-ceramic-headlight-restoration-kit/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, BBB said:

That actually looks quite good, I would be interested in seeing how good it really is at removing the yellow/green uv coat of Boxster lenses.

I did my wife’s mini headlights the other week and they weren’t too bad but I still ended up starting 400 grit on my electric 3” da sander. But perhaps their coating remover dissolves the old coating eliminating the need to heavy sand.🤔

2 hours ago, McDonald said:

£90 per side IIRC. It seems expensive but the transformation and durability is pleasing every time I look at them.

I think that sounds like great value when you add up the cost of the materials and time involved. Also the 2k lacquer applied in a clear booth would provide protection for years.

I ve never been brave enough to lacquer mine even though I have the equipment, I tend to use some leftover ceramic coating. I’ve tried waxes and sealants but they just don’t last 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

That actually looks quite good, I would be interested in seeing how good it really is at removing the yellow/green uv coat of Boxster lenses.

I did my wife’s mini headlights the other week and they weren’t too bad but I still ended up starting 400 grit on my electric 3” da sander. But perhaps their coating remover dissolves the old coating eliminating the need to heavy sand.🤔

I think that sounds like great value when you add up the cost of the materials and time involved. Also the 2k lacquer applied in a clear booth would provide protection for years.

I ve never been brave enough to lacquer mine even though I have the equipment, I tend to use some leftover ceramic coating. I’ve tried waxes and sealants but they just don’t last 👍

I linked it because I’ve used it. It was excellent and easy to remove the yellowing haze I had on one of mine, the other was just dull. They have stayed perfectly clear, but it has only been a month or so since I did it.

Replaced the frunk/boot switch. Bought one off Amazon (eBay had cheaper offerings probably all from the same place in China!). In case anyone else has to do this the kick plate has to come out. There are two little grommets which pop off and then DEEP inside the hole there is a small (4mm?) hex which needs to be loosened but not removed before unclipping upwards along its length. The switch unit can then be carefully unclipped. On removal I checked what had broken and the small tower which hinges the switch had gone. You can see this in the image below at the back of the switch. So I would advise not pulling too hard when you flick the switch. Interestingly there are positions for a 3rd switch in the centre. Any idea what application this is for?

ismk1biBIKosD4Oeu5pfXpav1mlZBz9nF6w0awdY

1 minute ago, entdgc said:

Interestingly there are positions for a 3rd switch in the centre. Any idea what application this is for?

No idea but if not clear I'd immediately suspect it's for the 911.

3 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Why?  Does not compute...

Itch that had to be scratched! Was into bikes long before cars but due to a job change 15 years ago sold the bikes I had in order to get a car and have had cars since. Something happened recently that I cannot explain and this is the outcome. Not sure what to do with the Boxster now🤔

2 minutes ago, Del_tl1000r said:

Itch that had to be scratched! Was into bikes long before cars but due to a job change 15 years ago sold the bikes I had in order to get a car and have had cars since. Something happened recently that I cannot explain and this is the outcome. Not sure what to do with the Boxster now🤔

Keep it, the bike fad will pass.  Take the bike to Le Mans next year and you will understand...  I have seen many bikers, young and old, swear that a bike is NOT a good idea after doing the trek to the most famous hallowed ground of motor racing.  I have buried a couple too....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Del_tl1000r said:

Made it a bit jealous!

IMG_20230613_225140

IMG20230613194441

HAHAHA!!!  I knew you would get a bike, last time we were on the road bikes I could tell its was going to happen, even though you didn't think so.
That looks lovely Del!

PS not seen much from you on Strava again!