What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

Went in to the garage to find one of the rear tyres completely flat so put some air in it then found a screw right in the middle.  Checked the tread and found they’re around 2-2.5mm so looked at the price, £263.50 each because they’re 19’s but I managed to get a bit of a discount to make them cheaper than the lowest online price.

Local Kwik Fit said it's repairable but I’ve decided to just replace both rears since I’ve already changed the fronts and the rear end has been a bit twitchy recently, I assumed it was because the roads were muddy!

• Sad 1

Not today, but yesterday fitted new frunk/bonnet struts (Magneti Marelli part no:430719086800) Porsche part no: 99751155101. Also replaced the headlight candles with Bosch H7 (477) Plus 120 Gigalight Headlight Bulbs - 12 V 55 W PX26d - 2 bulbs.

Overall went well, the frunk now springs up and stays up and the headlights are a bit brighter!

Edited by 987RG
Spelling

23 hours ago, 987RG said:

Not today, but yesterday fitted new frunk/bonnet struts (Magneti Marelli part no:430719086800) Porsche part no: 99751155101. Also replaced the headlight candles with Bosch H7 (477) Plus 120 Gigalight Headlight Bulbs - 12 V 55 W PX26d - 2 bulbs.

Overall went well, the frunk now springs up and stays up and the headlights are a bit brighter!

I bought the exact same ones previously for the drunk but found they only have a one-stage valve. In other words, they don't slow the bonnet down and make the bonnet come to a stop softly. They jerk to a hard stop. 

Ended up getting the OE stabilus ones instead. 

The car threw a “Check rear left brake light” warning on the way home yesterday. Cue an error strewn morning chasing down a solution. 

The bulb looked fine, but I went to ECP for a new bulb. Get home and they’ve given me a P21/5W box, with a P21/4W bulb inside, without offset angle lugs. Rant 1.

Shlep to Halfords, use their car lookup screen, select another P21/5 W bulb (with a claimed extra 200% lifetime), can’t see the bulb properly in the blister pack. Saturday morning feckwits shopping in B &Q, M&S, Aldi refuse to let anyone out of the car park, cues grow, horns start, 15 minutes just to get out of Halfords. Rant 2.

Get home to find Halfords bulb is not offset. Rant 3.

Return to ECP with their wrong bulb and thankfully they check the new bulb, so I luckily buy two just in case. Get home, plug it in, still an error code. Rant 4.

Pull the right hand side to compare and then can’t get the bulb back in again, because some barsteward had wedged a non offset bulb in there and of course it won’t go back in again. Now I have no brake lights. Rant 5.

It p*sses down with rain and then hails, car on drive. Strong coffee needed.

Finally, decide that the terminals inside the housing look a bit dull, Dremmel them clean, fit two new offset bulbs and it all works. 

Moral of the story: the initial error was probably corrosion all along, check for that first. Secondly, the handbook doesn’t state that you need offset angle lugs for the brake bulb (some of the others in the cluster are the normal 180 stagger).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BBB said:

The car threw a “Check rear left brake light” warning on the way home yesterday. Cue an error strewn morning chasing down a solution. 

The bulb looked fine, but I went to ECP for a new bulb. Get home and they’ve given me a P21/5W box, with a P21/4W bulb inside, without offset angle lugs. Rant 1.

Shlep to Halfords, use their car lookup screen, select another P21/5 W bulb (with a claimed extra 200% lifetime), can’t see the bulb properly in the blister pack. Saturday morning feckwits shopping in B &Q, M&S, Aldi refuse to let anyone out of the car park, cues grow, horns start, 15 minutes just to get out of Halfords. Rant 2.

Get home to find Halfords bulb is not offset. Rant 3.

Return to ECP with their wrong bulb and thankfully they check the new bulb, so I luckily buy two just in case. Get home, plug it in, still an error code. Rant 4.

Pull the right hand side to compare and then can’t get the bulb back in again, because some barsteward had wedged a non offset bulb in there and of course it won’t go back in again. Now I have no brake lights. Rant 5.

It p*sses down with rain and then hails, car on drive. Strong coffee needed.

Finally, decide that the terminals inside the housing look a bit dull, Dremmel them clean, fit two new offset bulbs and it all works. 

Moral of the story: the initial error was probably corrosion all along, check for that first. Secondly, the handbook doesn’t state that you need offset angle lugs for the brake bulb (some of the others in the cluster are the normal 180 stagger).

Had the same issue on the SLK, bulb was OK but the tracks had some surface corrosion on them, cleaned up with a bit of sand paper and all good again, but took me a few tried to figure out that wad the issue as it looked OK.

Glad you got it resolved though 

5 hours ago, Bike Loon said:

hell no! It was cold!

Has to be at least 13 degrees for my roof to be down!

2 hours ago, Del_tl1000r said:

8 degrees for me, motorway speeds and windows down!

At least with a vinyl rear screen in my 986 I've got an excuse for roof up below 10°C.  You've got a heater, heated seats and even a heated steering wheel (didn't see the point until I was in Norway in winter regularly a few years ago) for God's sake.  Man Up!

• Haha 1