buying : mileage, age or history, whats more important

ptholt

Evening folks, am actively looking to buy a 3.2 s 987.1 budget around 11-13k 

To date i have seen I can be looking at cars from 2005-2007, mileages of 50-80k, most with porsche plus indy servicing.

But what i would like to know in the experience of those who have owned/purchased is where you place the greater priority...

My own thoughts originally were buy the newest 07 car with the lowest miles i can find, however the number of owners and miles on these cars is proving off putting.... Would i be better with an older car, medium miles but owned by enthusiast owner?

What are your thoughts and experiences folks?

go late and ignore providence, or go early with enthusiast and perhaps miles?

Conventional wisdom says history and evidence of previous owners caring beats low mileage.  

I would take an 80k car with a fist full of receipts at the same money over a 50k car with “its been serviced” and it probably needs some tyres and the brakes look a bit rusty and then belt needs doing and I never bothered with brake fluid and what’s a coil, pack car. 

These cars change hands a lot. So over the age a few owners isn’t an issue.  A few over 6 months is. 

buy the BEST car. That isn’t always the youngest or least used.  

@Jason986S has a fine looking example for sale. No personal knowledge but a long term and respected member of this forum so on spec and worth a look. 

I wouldn’t personally rule out a 2.7 and catch me on the right day and you could make me an offer for mine. It’s been my daily driver for nearly three years and is a lovely car. An even better example than the last car you bought from me :)

Minor thing, but remember the stealth tax for cars in the 07-09 age group - £570 a year road tax is a kick in the teeth, especially if it’s a weekend car.

as others have said, buy on condition and history rather than mileage.

some good cars in the classifieds at the moment, @Jason986S and @lordlee have particularly clean and well looked after cars for sale

I indeed have a black 2005 (friendly tax) 3.2 Boxster S for sale. Has a full folder of receipts, a stamped history book and in really good condition. 71k miles, new brakes, PASM suspension, AC rads, water pump/belt and lots of other bits done in the last couple of years. It’s in fine fettle. Myself and the previous 2 owners were Porsche enthusiasts. Feel free to drop me a message and we can have a chat.

Bought a relatively high miler as a daily and I knew I'd put my own miles on there. FSH, and looked in good condition, bar a bit of road rash and what I was told was an air-con re-gas. Decided to get an indy inspection for about £250. 

Pin-pr*cked coolant piping, condensers and air-con pipework shot at, coil packs in need of imminent replacement, advance warning of some slight play in the front left suspension (not to change, but to be aware of). Even told me the little strap on the petrol cap was broken. All ammunition for getting the price down to cover the major issues (not the strap though - paid for that myself)

Anyway, been a completely reliable car since. Ok, I've also put tyres and brakes on there, but then I've put the miles on it so that's only fair.

Have a go of a 2.7 though - there aren't many times when I think I need a bit more engine sitting behind me.

But yes, the tax thing is a ßitch. Thinking of updating to a 981 to save me some money. 🙃

Thought about the "b" in ßitch, but never crossed my mind about the "I" in pin-pr*cked! 🤪

10 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

Minor thing, but remember the stealth tax for cars in the 07-09 age group - £570 a year road tax is a kick in the teeth, especially if it’s a weekend car.

as others have said, buy on condition and history rather than mileage.

some good cars in the classifieds at the moment, @Jason986S and @lordlee have particularly clean and well looked after cars for sale

Thank you for the mention. True about the tax but you get the torquier 3.4 engine in there which really shines with its in gear times and mid range punch. I guess I horses for courses.

19 minutes ago, lordlee said:

you get the torquier 3.4 engine in there which really shines with its in gear times and mid range punch. I guess Its an extra 20 horses for courses.

CFA

12 hours ago, ptholt said:

Evening folks, am actively looking to buy a 3.2 s 987.1 budget around 11-13k 

You should definitely be looking at the ones on sale from @Jason986S which i've seen in the flesh and @lordlee whose threads i've followed. Both are very knowledgeable long standing members and the cars have well documented running reports on here.

3 hours ago, Rob™ said:

Thought about the "b" in ßitch, but never crossed my mind about the "I" in pin-pr*cked

One of my favourites here is wristw*tch :)

ooh I feel so naughty!

To date, I have only driven a 3.2 tiptronic, and i found it rather leisurely and slow - almost cruiser like, nothing against the car, but coming off a ktm superduke most things with four wheels do feel slow, so i would like it to have as much punch as i can get just to keep it interesting, hence 3.2 and sports chrono seem to be a better option for me personally.

Sometimes low mileage cars are more problematic than higher mileage used regularly cars.

My 1997 is showing 205000 miles on the odometer, still pulling strong on the same engine, gearbox and even clutch, i do look after it very well though. 

I wouldn’t worry about the number of previous owners as long as history stacks up. Last year I bought a low mileage, 44k 2006 3.2S with 7 previous owners. Fully stamped book with many receipts. I was told that the car had been garaged by most previous owners. Got the car home and had Porsche Perth inspect is, was told it was one if the best examples of a 987.1 they has seen. As mentioned before I think a lot of people buy a Boxster to scratch the ‘fast soft top’ itch, after a year or so they move on.

On 10/4/2019 at 12:50 AM, Menoporsche said:

CFA

Ha ha!! It’s not the 20hp that makes the difference it’s the torquier delivery of power pretty much everywhere in the Rev range. I doubt anyone would notice 20hp on the road.  

On 10/4/2019 at 10:52 AM, ptholt said:

To date, I have only driven a 3.2 tiptronic, and i found it rather leisurely and slow - almost cruiser like, nothing against the car, but coming off a ktm superduke most things with four wheels do feel slow, so i would like it to have as much punch as i can get just to keep it interesting, hence 3.2 and sports chrono seem to be a better option for me personally.

Chrono won’t make much difference to how fast the car feels, these aren’t torquey engines and will feel relatively slow if driven casually (especially compared to a modern turbo hot hatch (golf R etc)), but they love being revved  and really wake up over 4K revs, and they have a lovely power delivery 4K to red line that really rewards proper gear usage.

I would never solely look at mileage on an older car. 986/987 Boxsters are now at an age where major components could be compromised by many other factors than distance covered. I would prioritise service history and maintenance over mileage. Ideally when I buy a Boxster I am looking for the sweet spot of condition/service history/low owners and specification, in that order. Mileage is merely an indicator of condition. If a 10 year old 20k mile car has lived outdoors right by the sea its whole life, only been serviced by mileage rather than age and mainly covering short trips, then that car would likely be a much worse bet than a 100k miles car that has seen 10 services, garaged inland and regular proper spirited use. I have owned several 986 Boxsters, always putting money in at purchase to get a well maintained car. I have covered approximately 120k miles in six 986 3.2s over the years and never been let down by the car. I generally look for a car that has covered an average of 5-8k per year (which has meant between 57k and 82k miles at purchase), this ensures it is unlikely to have been left or neglected for long and that all the journeys haven't just been to the shops/pub and back. Regular yearly servicing and maintenance with evidence is my major must have. Low owners is also desirable as there is less chance the car has passed through the hands of an unsympathetic/unfinanced owner if that is the case. We all like to buy a fastidiously maintained vehicle privately from someone for whom money has been no object, frequently the first or second owner. However, Boxsters can tend to be moved on more frequently than other vehicles as a niche car, when peoples lifestyles change. Each car has to be judged on its merit, but frequent ownership changes should make you look more carefully at the car. Specification and colour are always my least rigid criteria. My current car doesn't have heated seats which I really miss as I like to have my roof down if its not raining, but the car was too good to let such small things deter me.

Basically condition and history trump everything else for me including mileage

33 minutes ago, Billzeebub said:

I have covered approximately 120k miles in six 986 3.2s over the years

8 minutes ago, golfprorich said:

^^^^ How to use a Boxster ^^^^

Archived