Part Exchange Value - worst offer ever?

dpg123

I popped by a garage in Surrey to have a look at a 4x4 to replace my wife's car. I was in the Boxster as she needed her car. 

Anyway, my car is a 2004 986S, 80k miles, in the last year I've spent over £5k to make it as perfect as I can (full suspension rebuild, wheel / brake refurb, 4 x new N rated tyres, major service (inc plugs, coils, gearbox oil, full 3D geo etc etc etc, cosmetic attention, battery...the list goes on). This is on top of a clutch, RMS/IMS, air con rebuild, alternator, water pump etc etc. in the last 10k miles. It really is up there with the best.

We got talking about my car and I told him what I'd had done. The dealer thought I wanted to trade it in, not my wifes.

He offered me......wait for it.....£995. He did say I'd be better holding on to it as he sees the values going up soon. Which is reassuring...

Its not your mainstream bread and butter product for them to retail on I guess.  They dont really understand or want to get involved so price a ridiculously low figure.

I went to look at a 4x4 to replace the daily driver suzuki swift  (16 plate). I attended in the boxster in the first instance and the salesman showed considerable in the silver beast.

But the book prices on 20yr old cars is lower than the "scrap" deals on new cars.

He said as a non porsche trader any 20yr old car was going to be sub £1000. Re boxster values

I did buy the 4x4 

7 minutes ago, stevemag said:

I went to look at a 4x4 to replace the daily driver suzuki swift  (16 plate). I attended in the boxster in the first instance and the salesman showed considerable in the silver beast.

But the book prices on 20yr old cars is lower than the "scrap" deals on new cars.

He said as a non porsche trader any 20yr old car was going to be sub £1000. Re boxster values

I did buy the 4x4 

That's fair enough. 

Thing is that this place was a higher end independent dealer (think AMG55, RS4's/5's, including several 911's). So they should have known that £1k would be an insult. He'd have been better just saying he wasn't interested in it as a trade in...I mean, I could walk into any pub in the country and ask who wants to buy my car for £1k and I'd walk away with a deal. I just thought it was a bit lazy on his part.

On another note, is anyone else getting the new sales (at least to me) technique from franchised dealers where they explain that the price of their used cars is dictated by a central team and no negotiation is possible: "The price is the price"...I though there was always a deal to be done. I've had this twice this week.

2 hours ago, dpg123 said:

I popped by a garage in Surrey to have a look at a 4x4 to replace my wife's car. I was in the Boxster as she needed her car. 

Anyway, my car is a 2004 986S, 80k miles, in the last year I've spent over £5k to make it as perfect as I can (full suspension rebuild, wheel / brake refurb, 4 x new N rated tyres, major service (inc plugs, coils, gearbox oil, full 3D geo etc etc etc, cosmetic attention, battery...the list goes on). This is on top of a clutch, RMS/IMS, air con rebuild, alternator, water pump etc etc. in the last 10k miles. It really is up there with the best.

We got talking about my car and I told him what I'd had done. The dealer thought I wanted to trade it in, not my wifes.

He offered me......wait for it.....£995. He did say I'd be better holding on to it as he sees the values going up soon. Which is reassuring...

I'll give you £1200, sight unseen. You can't argue with that😀.

£50 from webuyanycar. Left them a rubbish review on Trustpilot which they tried to have removed, but it was upheld by Trustpilot. They then sent me a grovelling apology saying that they would reassess. Unsurprisingly I told them not to bother.

Several weeks later I received another email from webuyanycar saying that the original valuation was about to go down! They are truly a dreadful company who prey on people desperate to sell.

22 minutes ago, jonogt6 said:

£50 from webuyanycar. Left them a rubbish review on Trustpilot which they tried to have removed, but it was upheld by Trustpilot. They then sent me a grovelling apology saying that they would reassess. Unsurprisingly I told them not to bother.

Several weeks later I received another email from webuyanycar saying that the original valuation was about to go down! They are truly a dreadful company who prey on people desperate to sell.

£50!! Ha!! I suppose when they come to see the car and pick up on any faults you'll end up in negative equity?!

3 hours ago, dpg123 said:

He offered me......wait for it.....£995.

He'd just been watching Mike Brewer on repeat. "A Porsha Boxta S - for a grand!!"

5 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

He'd just been watching Mike Brewer on repeat. "A Porsha Boxta S - for a grand!!"

Ha!

I could literally unscrew or unbolt parts from the car worth 3 times what he offered me in 20 minutes...

GeoffJackson is breaking his, which was undrivable, and is approaching 3k without selling the engine or body IIRC.

I remember being very offended that I bought my 2 year old Impreza Turbo from a "well respected Surrey dealer" for the brand new price (supply and demand issues), yet when I wanted to sell it back to them a year later they wouldn't even quote me for it, "Sorry sir it's not what we really sell these days". That's the most I've ever lost on a car, 11k in a year.

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

GeoffJackson is breaking his, which was undrivable, and is approaching 3k without selling the engine or body IIRC.

I remember being very offended that I bought my 2 year old Impreza Turbo from a "well respected Surrey dealer" for the brand new price (supply and demand issues), yet when I wanted to sell it back to them a year later they wouldn't even quote me for it, "Sorry sir it's not what we really sell these days". That's the most I've ever lost on a car, 11k in a year.

Hmm, back in the day I bought my brand new Impreza 2000 turbo I '96 for £17.5k list price, put 65k miles on it, took it to the 'Ring and a few other circuits, did a Le Mans trip, used it as a rally recce car and the Subaru dealer I bought it from got me £12k back after 2½ years, based on payment upon resale, when I had to sell after getting a company car. I could have got more but I didn't want private sale 'test pilots' coming round. Some of the best value for money fun I've ever had on 4 wheels, or maybe ever!  Market forces again.  I saw it up for sale again with the same dealer about 2 years later and it was still around £10k (Green with plate P555 BRG).

We won't talk about my worst loss, as a percentage at least, on a car....

When I bought the 981 the sales guy asked what I was driving at the moment, the relief on his face when I told him that I wouldn't be expecting to trade-in the 16 year old 986 was priceless :)

Of course their favourite trick is to pull out the little black book and point to the value shown there, it's difficult to argue with when its written down in black and white. 

and obviously if you had shook on the deal, then returned 2 days later, your £995 Box would have been retailing in pride of place for around £8k..after nothing more than a posh wash 

the dealer must have recently been watching the 986 boxster wheeler dealers episode!

5 minutes ago, Billzeebub said:

and obviously if you had shook on the deal, then returned 2 days later, your £995 Box would have been retailing in pride of place for around £8k..after nothing more than a posh wash 

the dealer must have recently been watching the 986 boxster wheeler dealers episode!

It didn't even need a posh wash - it had only been detailed a few days prior! He could have literally parked it there and then and it would have looked the cleanest car on his lot. Luckily it's not for sale though - I'm keeping it for as long as I can hold my wife off!

4 hours ago, jonogt6 said:

One of their standard tricks is to give the seller an appointment and make them wait around 45 mins. If the seller is still there after 45 mins they know they are desperate, and negotiate accordingly 

webuyanycar offered my friend £50 for his 2000 996 Carrera. Spat out my coffee when he told me and couldn't stop laughing.

I actually had to sell a mark 4 golf to them some years, lost my job and was desperate for money. They ended knocking a few hundred pounds off for various things, dents, etc... Prey on the desperate, vile business to be in, but it works for them.

7 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Hmm, back in the day I bought my brand new Impreza 2000 turbo I '96 for £17.5k list price, put 65k miles on it, took it to the 'Ring and a few other circuits, did a Le Mans trip, used it as a rally recce car and the Subaru dealer I bought it from got me £12k back after 2½ years, based on payment upon resale, when I had to sell after getting a company car. I could have got more but I didn't want private sale 'test pilots' coming round. Some of the best value for money fun I've ever had on 4 wheels, or maybe ever!  Market forces again.  I saw it up for sale again with the same dealer about 2 years later and it was still around £10k (Green with plate P555 BRG).

We won't talk about my worst loss, as a percentage at least, on a car....

You weren’t Cossie Killer 1 were you?  I remember him from my much younger Impreza days.  Dark Green car driven very well and a bit airborne at Nurburgring, there was a good video on the old SIDC forum page.  CK1 

At the end of the day they all go from what the book says there is no argueng with that. As my dealer friend always says you are keeping it clean for the next owner. A good clean and well maintenained car makes its easier for them to sell. You have to get over the personal aspect They are there to make money . Every month sat on their forecourt its losing money.

The old car prices are sort of made up and if you know someone in the trade you can pick up some absolute steals as ii have one at the moment , why do you think they say its better off going with a cash deal with no part ex, the only positive is dealers are all the same.

Westealanycar use glasses guide to price your car , but they do make a tidy profit

Archived