Wheel swappers beware!!

Mr96er

Recently I had my alignment done following a shock replacement. Results were splendid!! 
before and after here👇

Then I put my winter wheels on. From 16’s to 17’s and while the front remains 205 the rear goes from 225 to 235. 

drive 200 miles and check again...

jeepers creepers!! 

So, if you’re planning to change to winters anytime soon, you might consider an alignment check. 

My apologies if everyone already knew this.
Given recent misfortune in the 986 world with foul weather mishaps, I thought it might be a timely reminder👍

Changing wheels itself shouldn't change the alignment. Think about the number of times people do wheel refurbs, wheels off cleans and change to winter wheels etc. Potential culprits could be whoever did the alignment last didn't tighten everything up, some damaged threads/arms which won't hold the torque. 

3 hours ago, Mr96er said:

Recently I had my alignment done following a shock replacement. Results were splendid!! 
before and after here👇

48964147062_a946901c23_b.jpg

Then I put my winter wheels on. From 16’s to 17’s and while the front remains 205 the rear goes from 225 to 235. 

drive 200 miles and check again...

49037467433_d28f66e901_b.jpg

jeepers creepers!! 

So, if you’re planning to change to winters anytime soon, you might consider an alignment check. 

My apologies if everyone already knew this.
Given recent misfortune in the 986 world with foul weather mishaps, I thought it might be a timely reminder👍

Interesting observation. Probably useful for some. Seems others have fixed views on the matter.

Thank you for looking out for us 👍

16 minutes ago, PetNameCoco said:

Probably useful for some. Seems others have fixed views on the matter.

People are entitled to their own opinions, not their own facts :)

Centre Gravity confirmed to me that changing between 18" & 17" (OE rim n skin sizes) would NOT affect alignment.

Thems the Kings.

Cheers, Baggers.

3 hours ago, rowbos said:

I didn't think different wheels would have any impact on alignment? 

This is what Centre Gravity told me last year. 

Just read this after posting.

So obvs +1.

Cheers, Baggers.

If both alignments were done on the same machine, then something is wrong, either distorted wheels or distorted readings! Alignment shouldn’t change if wheels are to OE sizes.

The other thing to consider is calibration interval of the same and different equipment. 

1 hour ago, K.I.T.T. said:

People are entitled to their own opinions, not their own facts :)

What’s curious about this thread is most people posting seem more inclined to change or create new “facts” to maintain an opinion held, rather than accept the facts that are in evidence and explore the possibilities that could explain them🤔

Could anyone else offer their experience of what has actually happened? 

www.cartoonstock.com/cartoonview.asp?catref=cgon1185

I don't think anyone will deny the fact you have 2 different geo results but it's a leap of faith to say it is fact that the wheel swap is the reason. 

3 minutes ago, edc said:

I don't think anyone will deny the fact you have 2 different geo results but it's a leap of faith to say it is fact that the wheel swap is the reason. 

But I never said “the facts” are the wheel swap was the reason, I just stated the course Of events and pointed out the known variables at the time. 

which included changed from 16s to 17s and from 225s to 235s rears  and driving 200 miles (approx)

“new evidence”

ive been told (anecdotal then) that after an alignment it’s good practice to go back after a couple of weeks of driving and get it checked again as things bed in When not  fixed on a ramp.

maybe that’s good advice, maybe it’s not. But I’m glad I took it. 

Depending on what else is done the car can sometimes 'settle'. The likes of CG try to avoid that by rocking and jiggking the car and also a road test before rechecking again. 

OK, facts.  The alignent devices are attached to the rims.  Unless a rim is buckled the plane of the rim face must reflect the plane of the hub it sits on.  The hub is connected to the suspension members.  This gives the physical measurements.  A change in track caused by the offset (ET) of the rim between 16" and 17" would possibly put a front to rear reference measurement out (not taken on a machine like this) but not a whole set of readings off the rear axle.

Was the measurement done on the same machine?  Even then, was it using the correct data file for the car for the settings on both occasions? Are you sure the rims are straight, no vibrations from the rear at 75 to 85 mph on the 17" rims?

If the answer to both the above is yes, then as someone else said, I'd suspect a clout to the left rear between the two measurements, or even has the left rear rim seated properly on the hub?

11 hours ago, Mr96er said:

ive been told (anecdotal then) that after an alignment it’s good practice to go back after a couple of weeks of driving and get it checked again as things bed in When not  fixed on a ramp.

Click on in Shipley did mine following my rear subframe swap. So similar situation. They told me that when they adjust something so much you have to go back to them after 100miles to make sure nothings loose and it's all kept inline. 

Sounds like that could be the issue. Especially on the roads we share. 

9 hours ago, ½cwt said:

OK, facts.  The alignent devices are attached to the rims.  Unless a rim is buckled the plane of the rim face must reflect the plane of the hub it sits on.  The hub is connected to the suspension members.  This gives the physical measurements.  A change in track caused by the offset (ET) of the rim between 16" and 17" would possibly put a front to rear reference measurement out (not taken on a machine like this) but not a whole set of readings off the rear axle.

Was the measurement done on the same machine?  Even then, was it using the correct data file for the car for the settings on both occasions? Are you sure the rims are straight, no vibrations from the rear at 75 to 85 mph on the 17" rims?

If the answer to both the above is yes, then as someone else said, I'd suspect a clout to the left rear between the two measurements, or even has the left rear rim seated properly on the hub?

thank you 👍

It was the same type of machine, Hunter 4 wheel laser alignment. But one in Leicester (correct file selected and confirmed) and one in Otley, where wasn’t there when they selected the file, but I use the Otley shop because they’ve made my boxsters feel and drive amazingly better before and have spent as much as 2.5hrs, including road testing to get the best results for me. 

drove the car 160 miles yesterday with no vibrations at an speed. But good point, I have not had the wheels on a balance machine. I can do that this week👍

5 hours ago, Nobbie said:

Footage emerges of tyre fitters used by @Mr96er prior to fitting the new wheels

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1193860153172512768/pu/vid/624x576/MPghO0QZv_7RYi3K.mp4?tag=10

Funny, 

but I think everyone knows I use hens🤷🏾‍♂️

Archived