Number plate cutting and position in relation to plinth

the baron

Ive just cut the euro flag off my number plate and as its a 5 character plate Ive reduced the whole plate down in size, so my question is, as the plate fits the plastic plinth either side (left and right) where to position up and down, do people have the top of the plate to the top of the plinth or position it dead centre? I think it was positioned plate to top of plinth so it was level, what's yours like?

Legally, I think you need a certain amount of space between the letters and the edge of the plate, something to do with not being able to clearly read the characters. Although saying that, I have a Porsche logo on mine which is illegal, but never been pulled for it. 

Can't remember if the plinth is body coloured... Is there much of the plinth visible once it's centred? 

13 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

How did you cut the plate and get a smooth edge?

When I cut plates down, I score both front and back with a sharp Stanley knife and then position it firmly on the edge of a bench with the bit to be broken off hanging over and the score lined up with the edge of the bench. A firm press on the end should snap the plate cleanly. I then use a file to blunt the sharp edges of the plate. 

Ive just cut the Porsche logo off one side and the Euro badge the other side, using the score method to cut, then filed the edges off, looks stock, Its not altered the spacing and it still has a space either side so don't think it makes it illegal,

It's not illegal. There is no regulation on the size of the plate itself just the size and spacing of the letters. 

I have a 5 digit reg too and ordered 18x4.4 inch number plates. Apparently I could have legally gone shorter (16×4.4 inch) but then I would have had to modify or lose the front plinth. I opted to place mine centrally on the plinth as I didn't want it to hang too low near the centre rad (I have a 986S) 🙂

@Rich2508 They did more than turning it upside down, they have lowered it to in front of where the opening is for the 3rd radiator on the S version is.

They presumably filled the holes in the bumper that would normally hold the plinth and resprayed it?

I like it BTW.

Archived