Check your coilpacks!

ThreeSheds

Some nasty cracks in my coilpacks - surprisingly there were no misfires even in torrential rain...

20200519_134817.jpg.9845540954f6cfcb2284813f3f55697f.jpg20200519_134851.jpg.458f4fa8908969821935b46adefe0a16.jpg

Just now, ThreeSheds said:

Some nasty cracks in my coilpacks - surprisingly there were no misfires even in torrential rain...

20200519_134817.jpg.9845540954f6cfcb2284813f3f55697f.jpg20200519_134851.jpg.458f4fa8908969821935b46adefe0a16.jpg

Common issue, usually get an engine mgt warning on dash which indicates trouble or you can feel it misfire or you lose a bit of power and as you say usually only in the rain

Hi

I wonder what the issue with running theses is if there is no misfire? I have changed a couple of cracked ones recently also, but I guess maybe a coating of spray grease or waxy rust preventative such as Dinitrol or Tectyl would have kept any water ingress at bay?

Berni

If you know they are cracked, best to change them as they will eventually get moisture inside and cause a misfire and if you don't know they are cracked, leave them. Also a set new is not a huge amount of money rather than doing it piecemeal as each one cracks/fails.  The misfiring will only occur when they can't give the voltage step required to fire the spark due to damage or moisture inside the coil.

I would say that the plugs are fairly new so whoever changed them last must have seen the state of the coilpacks and did nothing about it...... :(

20200519_194422.thumb.jpg.a7e63191d062b83e268b0999bed034f3.jpg

3 hours ago, ThreeSheds said:

I would say that the plugs are fairly new so whoever changed them last must have seen the state of the coilpacks and did nothing about it...... :(

Hope its not a sign of more short cuts...

Did mine a couple of years ago when I first got her. Wondering if they should be looked at again. Had an occasional misfire, usually when switching from 99 - 95 Ron and back again...

anyone else experienced that? 

I have never looked closely at the coil packs on my car. Have never had a misfire, so no real reason to look. No mention in the papers of them ever having been changed? Wonder if they are the originals from 20 years ago, could this be possible?

Changed mine a couple of years ago, they were original 2 decades old and all had cracks to some extent, no misfire though.  I fitted BERU from ECP and they were the newer, larger style and were supplied with longer mounting bolts.  Good price as well.

BTW, I sold the old ones on eBay and somebody in Germany bought them! 

3 hours ago, topradio said:

Changed mine a couple of years ago, they were original 2 decades old and all had cracks to some extent, no misfire though.  I fitted BERU from ECP and they were the newer, larger style and were supplied with longer mounting bolts.  Good price as well.

BTW, I sold the old ones on eBay and somebody in Germany bought them! 

That is good to hear that they can survive and still function correctly for so long! Even better that they can still be sold on at such a late stage in their life!:lol:

On 5/20/2020 at 12:19 AM, el 3.2S said:

Wonder if they are the originals from 20 years ago, could this be possible?

I would think that's entirely possible,  especially with a low mileage car... mine is 16 years old and done 55000 mile and I reckon mine are original...

On 5/20/2020 at 5:04 PM, RickLS7 said:

If you fill the coil cracks with black silicone, you can get a couple more years of reliable running. 

I havent got any black, would white do? 😂

Archived