Warranty Woes. Is the dealership being OTT?

Ninja02

Took the car in this morning for its 8 Yr (major Service) and 111 point check.  Came away at 18.00 with no car because they cannot get the spark plugs out,  also a quote of nearly 4K of repairs.  Not good

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Ninja02 said:

Took the car in this morning for its 8 Yr (major Service) and 111 point check.  Came away at 18.00 with no car because they cannot get the spark plugs out,  also a quote of nearly 4K of repairs.  Not good

Ho Lee Fook 😲

20 minutes ago, Ninja02 said:

Under warranty I take it?

20 minutes ago, Ninja02 said:

Wow, thats not good. Was there anything outstanding from the previous service or had these repairs become apparent subsequently?

1 hour ago, Ninja02 said:

image.png.d944dc6060fd6a8b7b00b394a18dad85.png

wear and tear?!

'tear' them a new one and remind them what a warranty is for ffs!

that looks like it has rear and front lights on it, how can that be wear and tear?

you've got tyres so source them somewhere cheaper, as long as N rated they cant do anything about warranty issues in future

shocks...sure they wear but everything has a finite life so this should be a warranty item too (I mean @Araf had radiators done under warranty IIRC so also could have been deemed wear and tear but wasnt)

Diagnose wind noise 2 hours?

fek me, Im glad I'm past the warranty issues

Good luck with it @Ninja02

Thanks @Stuart21UK.  Tyre wise.  got them to match the local pirelli PC price,  that way I still get my £50 voucher from Pirelli C/O PCGB.  Yeah,  Wind noise,  shall not be going any further with that.  WRT the others,  They've mentioned external influences,  wear and tear.  ETC ETC.  Basically told them it's BS and that's why a warranty is taken out and to get it sorted.  Did say in jest,  not to get in touch with them too soon,  cos there may be the spark plug issue on there as well 

What is it?  All back to work and try to fleece the punters to make up for the quarterly shortfall?

I assume the car is currently under warranty?  If so, tell them to investigate the wind noise on that.  Same with everything else.  I assume the alignment check is due to oddly worn front tyres, so you'd be a fool not to get it done and also a fool to have Porsche do it at their price.  

My inflation gunk is out of date but the service guy said to me "I'm guessing you'd ring for a tow anyway, so what's the point?"

I had coffin arms done under warranty either last year or this year.  I can't remember which, but they have been done under warranty.

The only caveat was that they said if the arms are noisy but not affecting operation, they would have to be changed at my expense but if there was play in them too, Porsche would pay.

How the fek they expected them to be making a noise unless they were rattling around, I don't know. :blink: 

Maybe you should ask them to price-match Camskill for the tyres.  

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m63b0s7691p0/Car_Tyres_-_MPV_Tyres_-_People_Carrier_Tyres_-_20_inch_R20_inch_-_235_35_20_235_35R20_OE_Porsche

£163.20 each for the Pirellis - plus delivery and fitting but that still makes it under £200 a corner. 😄 

The warranty actually ran out on Tues,  but I had already mentioned handling issues,  headlight,  wind noise when I booked the service on 11th May.  That way,  everything should be covered under the COVID guidance with the warranty.   Tyre wise.  They're doing for £195 ea fitted now

Just now, Ninja02 said:

The warranty actually ran out on Tues,  but I had already mentioned handling issues,  headlight,  wind noise when I booked the service on 11th May.  That way,  everything should be covered under the COVID guidance with the warranty

I agree.  Most companies have extended their warranties as there was no way of getting your work.  Maybe you should check with Reading as your dealer seems to be being a bit overzealous. 

Possibly,  with them only just opening,,  trying not to rock the boat too much with Porsche.  Shall see what they have to say on Monday.  Not being able to remove the spark plugs will be an arguement .  I can see it

Just now, daz05 said:

That's a joke buddy, what mileage is on the car it must have had sparks before so surprised they are stuck.

55k.  Full PSH, so they were changed 2 yrs ago

2 minutes ago, Ninja02 said:

Think there’re changed every 4 years, so 4 years ago?  Plugs are wear and tear but the seized issue should be warranty IMO

Just now, daz05 said:

Are you on an annual routine plugs are every 4 yrs on mine?

Sorry.  Would of been 4 yrs ago.  I was counting services,  forgetting they're 2 yrs

10 minutes ago, Ninja02 said:

They will get your plugs out fine after they have sprayed some penetrant and left it a while. Last dealer maybe overtightened them.

21 minutes ago, Gorsh said:

Think there’re changed every 4 years, so 4 years ago?  Plugs are wear and tear but the seized issue should be warranty IMO

this ^^^ plugs 4 year and seized plugs means they put them in wrong last time - and that's warranty.

some chat in other places about some OPCs pushing the boat out on service charges post lockdown ..... your OPC wouldn't be a part of sytner group by any chance would it?

This is why I never take out extra warranty, you think that you're covered until you need to claim and you find that you're not. Then you have the stress of arguing with them that things should be covered, I couldn't be arsed with that.

I even deleted the 'optional' third year new car warranty when I bought the 981, I don't think they had ever had somebody do that before. Stick the warranty money in a side account and use it for the stuff that needs fixing.

How many of the plugs are stuck? 

looking at your price list - the vast bulk of the costs seem to be:

- two front tyres

- coffin arms

- front headlight

- rear lights

with some other bits and pieces. The tyres I get, that's life. coffin arms don't know enough to say on that, but do you really need a replacement front headlight at 1,300 quid? and rear lights at 800? those are near half your big bill?

Archived