Passenger Airbag Deactivation (for booster seat)

dpg123

Hello!

Can anyone help me with a work around so I can fit a booster seat for my 4 year old to ride along with me for short trips in my 2004 986? I understand the correct way is but a Porsche seat which includes a bar of some kind that deactivates the airbag? I’d rather buy the booster that best suits and work around the bar issue but I can remove or deactivate if an adult rides along instead. Any help welcome! 

I think legally you only need to deactivate it for rear-facing seats. Morally, views vary.  I took my daughter out in it - seat all the way back, drive carefully. Some people think I'm a psychopath for that.

When I was a kid in the 70's my dad bought an old Bedford CA van that had been a milk float in it's former life.  It came without a passenger seat and the paint was all rubbed off the metal dash where the delivery lad had sat on it with his back to the windscreen.

My dad fitted a seat on a sort of hinged arrangement so it could tilt forward for people to get in the back. When he braked hard the seat would swivel and propel the occupant into the screen so my dad developed a habit of putting out his left arm to restrain the passenger whenever he was going to stop.

No airbags in those days...………………………………………………………...or seatbelts. 

Chapter and verse is here:

https://www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-the-rules#:~:text=Using a child car seat or booster seat,your child's height or weight.

Summary- Deactivate airbag for rear facing seats.  Must use child seat/booster until over 12 years old or over 135cm tall if they reach that height when younger.

The bar has a seat belt clip which requires a buckle attatched to a porsche child seat to activate. But for this to work it has to be coded by a main dealer or from someone with piwis software. 

Generic code readers or more advanced sotftware that are available don't work. 

You can buy a copy of the clip on ebay to activate or take one from an old porshce car seat. 

Plugs are also available with resistors etc to fool the car to think thats it's an original plug but you still need to de code, personally not keen on this approach as you are trusting your childs life to a hack with possibly dodgy soldering and resistors that cost a few pence. 

So far I have got hold of the bar but not found anyone with the software. 

On 6/19/2020 at 12:10 AM, beicmynydd said:

Plugs are also available with resistors etc to fool the car to think thats it's an original plug but you still need to de code, personally not keen on this approach as you are trusting your childs life to a hack with possibly dodgy soldering and resistors that cost a few pence. 

So far I have got hold of the bar but not found anyone with the software. 

The resistor hacks work in exactly the same way as the Porsche bar and are so incredibly simple that you would be hard pushed to screw it up. 

Resistors only cost a few pence regardless of whether I order them or Porsche order them and so it really is a case of paying the Porsche tax here. 

• 1 month later...

Please help with similar problem on 986 boxster (2000)! 

Similar here: I would like to use rear facing child seat (for a newborn) on the shotgun seat. The child seat that I use has non isofix option with the belt fixing the car seat base to the car seat. There is no buckle in the front of the child seat base to fix it under seat the car. My understanding is as the normal seatbelt could fix the child seat I just need a switch to turn off the passenger airbag but if I need to install the kit under the passenger seat so be it. 

The local porsche service couldn't offer an official OEM solution for my car. Literally there is nothing available. I checked @Shazbot post from earlier and neither links are available on ebay. Searching ebay in the uk or us nothing come up. Pelican's manual also referring to parts that I no longer can buy. I believe I would just need to install a switch to turn the passenger airbag off. 

I bought my boxster a couple of years ago and recently we had a newborn. I was thinking to replace the boxster with a different hobby cabrio but I rather keep it - it is just sooo much smile on the face. So she stays. Child seat solution is in need. 

Thank you. 

If there is enough interest, I'll see if my dad can put a few kits together. The resistors/boards are easy but I can't promise that he still has many switches /boxes (he's retired now so no longer has a steady flow of these things). 

Obviously these wouldn't be Porsche approved and you would use them at your own risk. 

Regardless, they still need to be coded... 

1 hour ago, Cheddar Bob said:

I have a seatbelt clip thing under my passenger seat which as mentioned before is for a child seat. Would this mean when plugged into it the airbag is deactivated or is my passenger airbag permanently disabled 

Plug in the clip from the Porsche baby seat to disable.  At other times, the airbag is live as normal. :) 

40 minutes ago, Cheddar Bob said:

could i use any seat belt clip?

Yes, people do as they don't want to pay the extra for the approved Porsche seat.

I'm not going to be cited as an accessory now, when you deactivate it and slam into a wall with Mrs Bob in the passenger seat, am I? :huh: 

2 hours ago, Araf said:

Yes, people do as they don't want to pay the extra for the approved Porsche seat.

I'm not going to be cited as an accessory now, when you deactivate it and slam into a wall with Mrs Bob in the passenger seat, am I? :huh: 

You've got me thinking.... I'll give you 20% of the life insurance ☠️

I'm not allowed to drive fast with Gina in the car. 

22 hours ago, Lennym1984 said:

If there is enough interest, I'll see if my dad can put a few kits together. The resistors/boards are easy but I can't promise that he still has many switches /boxes (he's retired now so no longer has a steady flow of these things). 

Obviously these wouldn't be Porsche approved and you would use them at your own risk. 

Regardless, they still need to be coded... 

I believe I can get the car coded at the porsche dealer close to where I live. I am planning to take my car for the next service to the Porsche service anyways. 

So please if you could ask your dad putting this together would be helpful. Alternatively if anyone willing to sell this would be helpful as well. Or could I get this new from somewhere?

I am not sure if early cars (2000) can be coded as well or is this only available from a certain year?

23 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

OK it's your turn next then :) 

Already, I tagged him 3 times in July!

Sorry, post creep!

Archived