DVLA CLOWNS

dunks

Heres something for you to check , After a year of ownership I've just realized My V5 has the wrong chassis number on it , Instead of the 11th digit being a S  the've put it as a 5.

The green slip copy I have from the previous owner shows as a S, So would only persume they use some kind of scanning machine that has read the text wrong 

They issued my provisional driving licence back in 1986 with my first name spelt as Christpher missing out an 'o' which it wrote to them to ask for it to be corrected with no response and even after submitting a name change with the evidence they required they have never changed it.... not caused a problem yet but it does have potential to.  

They reversed my first and second names but as above when asked to put them the proper way round they've never bothered. Complete pain when hiring cars, buying insurance or requests for ID.  

Took mine for an MoT in Portugal, someone worked out that one of the chassis digits was wrong, a 0 instead of O, 1 instead of I, forgotten which.  Anyway, she tapped away for 5 minutes and rectified it. Given how an*l they usually are about documentation all lining up, I guess that was pretty painless. It might be because here the test centres are dedicated state test centres rather than a private garage doing the job, perhaps they have some kind of better access to the database.

OTOH spoke to a friend yesterday and he said after owning his brand new car for over a year it turns out it's not his; there was some paperwork to do and they found out that instead of being registered to him, "John Smith", it's actually registered to "Jean Smoot" living at his address...

15 hours ago, dunks said:

Heres something for you to check , After a year of ownership I've just realized My V5 has the wrong chassis number on it , Instead of the 11th digit being a S  the've put it as a 5.

The green slip copy I have from the previous owner shows as a S, So would only persume they use some kind of scanning machine that has read the text wrong 

This is the exact same problem that I had with the mixed up 5 and S. It did not come to light until I imported the Boxster into Spain and then they spotted it. It caused a huge amount of grief and time to get it sorted out. Paperwork is everything in Spain and they love it, the more the merrier lol. Fortunately the car was not with the test station when it was noticed or it would have been impounded, or so I was told.

On a similar note albeit not DVLA's fault, I bought a Ford Focus once with 10,000 miles on the clock - didn't keep it that long but when I went to sell it a lady did a HPI check and said it had 100,000 miles on it! The dealer (none Ford) had filled in the mileage incorrectly and it was registered at HPI, thankfully HPI took the Ford Dealers service record as proof it had actually only done 10,000 but it took 4 weeks to sort.

Always check the paperwork ! a few years ago I almost got done for having no insurance , the brokers had put one letter out on the policy and on the data base ( my bad, I should have checked )  and I was stopped by the police , no insurance , going to seize the car , you're in big trouble etc ,  manage to sort it out on the spot but it could have been a pain :(   

On 6/27/2020 at 11:40 PM, pipsqueak said:

They reversed my first and second names but as above when asked to put them the proper way round they've never bothered. Complete pain when hiring cars, buying insurance or requests for ID.  

Squeakpip??

I have a VW which now qualifies for Historic Status, I can't wait for DVLA to mess up the process. 

DVLA aren’t all bad 😁 I once changed address owning the car previously for probably just over a year, when the V5 come back at my new address it said I had owned the car for some 7 yrs. When I sold the car having owned it for 4 yrs it showed 10yrs of ownership.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, EVO Chris said:

drink driving again?

:laugh:That'll be the day! She's virtually teetotal, which is actually quite useful. Never have to disuss who's driving home from the pub.

34 minutes ago, red rocket said:

:laugh:That'll be the day! She's virtually teetotal, which is actually quite useful. Never have to disuss who's driving home from the pub.

Sounds like Mrs R, however she doesn't like driving as much as she doesn't like drinking so that's no help to me at all!

3 hours ago, red rocket said:

Its great isn't it!

4 hours ago, rowbos said:

Sounds like Mrs R, however she doesn't like driving as much as she doesn't like drinking so that's no help to me at all!

This is just poor/lazy training mate. Had you put in a bit of work at the beginning of the marriage you would be reaping the dividends now instead of having a thumb shaped indentation on your napper. 😉 

5 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

This is just poor/lazy training mate. Had you put in a bit of work at the beginning of the marriage you would be reaping the dividends now instead of having a thumb shaped indentation on your napper. 😉 

The last time I tried training her in a car (she was driving) she stopped at a set of traffic lights, got out of the car, shut the door and just walked off with me sat in the passenger seat and a bunch of cars sounding their horns behind me.  I gave up on her driving at this point 😬

5 minutes ago, rowbos said:

The last time I tried training her in a car (she was driving) she stopped at a set of traffic lights, got out of the car, shut the door and just walked off with me sat in the passenger seat and a bunch of cars sounding their horns behind me.  I gave up on her driving at this point 😬

I was referring to general training. 😂

Archived