Is new flywheel normally needed?

box100

The 'play' in the flywheel can be measured once the clutch is off to see if it is within tolerance. Then you can decide if it warrants replacement. 

The laymans way to check flywheel condition is to have the car on idle and gently push the clutch pedal until you get about where the biting point is. A worn flywheel will now be rattling. I check by using my hand to push the clutch pedal down as you'll feel any vibrations much easier. 

If you get a garage to do it they shouldn't charge any more labour, it's a two minute job to swap flywheels once the clutch is off. 

Not sure of price on 987 flywheels, probably 250-300 quid as an educated guess 

I would recommend changing it as the flywheel scores to the fitted clutch plate, similar to brake discs and pads, and as its stripped it would seem sensible to do at 133k miles. A complete clutch kit on Euro car parts including flywheel is £379.

3 minutes ago, EVO Chris said:

I would recommend changing it as the flywheel scores to the fitted clutch plate, similar to brake discs and pads, and as its stripped it would seem sensible to do at 133k miles. A complete clutch kit on Euro car parts including flywheel is £379.

And while the flywheel is off the rear Main Seal (RMS) would be a preventative maintenance item.

Edited by ½cwt

Just a thought but I too had "clutch judder" which was cured by fitting a new engine mount. I'm sure my clutch is probably due replacement soon but I was quite surprised by the difference the mount made (the old one was totally shot) 

18 minutes ago, EVO Chris said:

Does that kit definitely include the flywheel? I think you may be right, but I did a separate search for ‘flywheel’ and the result came back as £747 which really confused me. LUK FlywheelProduct Code: 336330450

1 hour ago, Lennym1984 said:

Just a thought but I too had "clutch judder" which was cured by fitting a new engine mount. I'm sure my clutch is probably due replacement soon but I was quite surprised by the difference the mount made (the old one was totally shot) 

^^^ Good call if you've got judder.  Will also improve the gear change if that seems worse too.  Fairly easy DIY if you are that way inclined, but also pretty cheap enough at an indy as a pretty quick job on a ramp.

My car had already had a new clutch before I bought it (only on 67k when I bought it). New clutch fitted by Porsche and new flywheel to, which surprised me as I have never had a flywheel replaced before. Besides suffering from wear and scoring @bally4563 explained that the clutches on these are dual mass and so have a sprung portion and if this becomes too flexible then the flywheel needs replacing...

• 2 years later...

I did think about starting a new thread but it seems wise to try and keep threads with relevant content...

https://i.imgur.com/KCv5hTk.mp4

this is my 70000 mile assumed original DMF and looks to be ok in the rotational movement

and this is a teeth view
https://i.imgur.com/QFVi7bO.mp4

no metalic noises or excessive play in the rock plane either - may 1-1.5 mm

10 hours ago, Dubdubz said:

recently? they are all £500+ on there now?

Use the app not website and wait for a 43 or 45% day...  Might shave a bit more off.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Use the app not website and wait for a 43 or 45% day...  Might shave a bit more off.

There is a 41% off on the App - but the DMF is not part of that offer sadly...

Think yourself lucky you've not got a 2.9.

My flywheel was, at the time, only available from Porsche as nobody made a "copy" so after my 10% discount it was still just over a grand including the bolts. On the plus side, she had covered 150k on the original!!

5 minutes ago, Patt said:

Wow I paid £270 (trade) for clutch kit and flywheel back when I bought Molly.  IIRC Sachs Clutch and a Luk Flywheel.

How prices have increased !

Yeah you're absolutely right...iirc the Sachs sports clutch kit was around £200 on it's own.

I did my clutch (2007, 2.7, 987 - 98k miles)  on my drive as the cost to have it done was ridiculous! I debated long on whether I should do the DMF and eventually took the plunge. When I tested the DMF it was moving over 25mm in each direction so was totally shot!

Clutch kit cost around £550, included DMF, clutch/spring plate and release bearing - pretty standard

That price did not include the alignment tool or the DMF bolts so you may need them as well if not supplied - the bolts are torqued and stretched on installation so can't be reused.

I found "Burner's cars" on YouTube pretty good although it's a 986 it's pretty much the same process for the 987

It's quite a labour intensive job but doable and if you are of the "while I'm in there" mindset you're in for some fun!

FYI the engine will need support and the gearbox is quite heavy so make sure you have some way of dropping it out supported in some way and watch out for the shifter cables as you can easily snap the plastic connectors when disconnecting them (ask me how I know!).

• Like 1

+1 on using the autodoc mobile app.

Place the clutch and flywheel in your basket there and leave notifications enabled for the app.

After a few days you may get as much as 43 percent offered on your basket items. The sales change daily.

As has been said above, look for LUK flywheel and Sachs clutch as known good brands for this job.

• Like 1

Gearbox is out and I have now realised I didn’t get an alignment tool, so I’ll order that now. 
it’s not a difficult job but time consuming. 
parts in motion were where I bought from, they had a subscription and get 10% off which brought it down to £594

2 minutes ago, temporarychicken said:

+1 on using the autodoc mobile app.

Place the clutch and flywheel in your basket there and leave notifications enabled for the app.

After a few days you may get as much as 43 percent offered on your basket items. The sales change daily.

As has been said above, look for LUK flywheel and Sachs clutch as known good brands for this job.

Had the dmf in basket since Saturday and not budging it’s ok as bought elsewhere. AUTODOC is good just not super quick, as in you can’t get next day if you find something else. But prices are good for sure.