Critique my thought - wheels

Rav

So - I have booked my car in to have the wheels refurbished at Pro alloys in Melksham. They did some good work on my Alpina wheels, welding a crack after a I hit a pot hole (cheers Wiltshire Council).

The wheels i have are:

s-l1600.jpg

My thought process went along the lines of keeping the car original. I still have the ambers on, but the radio is newer. I have opted not to go for the diamond cut lips and perhaps have these painted silver with the centres a slightly darker shade of silver. They will also mask and paint the centre caps to match.

So we are all set - booked in for September 2nd, with a rough price estimate of between £450 and £500.

UNTIL! - I saw this picture this morning.....

70KftYH.jpg

So a long shot - but does anyone have a set of these wheels that they are willing to part with?

What should i do?

No comments on originality but I consider your original wheels pretty high maintenance, so if it were me I'd change them.

The pic you have shown is not exactly carrera classics, the centres are different, but I do love the classics, and actually have a pair sitting waiting for refurbishment.  (Patiently...!)  Just watch when you buy as several come from 996 and so the rears are too/very wide for the Boxster.

I think the reason you are liking thoughs wheels is the way the cars been set up, it’s lowered, the wheels fill the arches so probably 19” rims, it looks like it’s wearing a body kit on the Sills and It just looks awesome.

Putting those wheels on your car won’t make your car lock like that I’m afraid unless you spend ££ on changing your suspension

20 hours ago, Rav said:

UNTIL! - I saw this picture this morning.....

70KftYH.jpg

The 986 above is part way through a pretty   dynamic transition which accentuates the impression of low. 

To see how these wheel might look on a static 986 see below:

AgUCUeU.jpg

OK it is my car but I reckon these wheels really suit the simpler lines of the original Boxster. 

From another angle:

AeROlaI.jpg

Details:

Car runs lower on a specific geometry.

5mm spacers all round.

The wheel colour is uses a base of GT silver - with a heavy mist of RC5+ pad dust. 

In terms of your existing wheels - here are another set I have which were finished with a power coated barrel in a silver that replicates the diamond cut colour and the centres in GT Silver with OE GT Silver centre caps. 

Wza6wGj.jpg

They looked fabulous. 

39 minutes ago, map said:

In terms of your existing wheels - here are another set I have which were finished with a power coated barrel in a silver that replicates the diamond cut colour and the centres in GT Silver with OE GT Silver centre caps. 

Wza6wGj.jpg

They looked fabulous. 

Me I think that these are the best looking wheels for that car. I wouldn't even consider changing them. That's a pricey refurb though. 

https://www.wheelclinic.co.uk/prices.php

IMG_3487%202.JPG?raw=1

IMG_4021.jpg?raw=1

I like them. But I would, wouldn't I! I've since had 'proper' tyres put on it, before the tyre police come knocking......

They were silver when I brought it, but I thought I'd have a change.

But also agree that having had Carrera's on my 996 they were much, much easier to keep clean. These are a 'wheel off job' to clean every time. I've recently sealed them with Gtechnig C5 wheel armour, but they are still not easy. Wouldn't change them though.

AaS

1 hour ago, allatsea said:

IMG_3487%202.JPG?raw=1

IMG_4021.jpg?raw=1

I like them. But I would, wouldn't I! I've since had 'proper' tyres put on it, before the tyre police come knocking......

But also agree that having had Carrera's on my 996 they were much, much easier to keep clean. These are a 'wheel off job' to clean every time. I've recently sealed them with Gtechnig C5 wheel armour, but they are still not easy. Wouldn't change them though.

AaS

I quite like the tyre police. They point out quite regularly my saving of money through less than big brand tyres :)

Hi Rav. I will have a nice set of 19” Carerra Classics with tyres and coloured centre caps available later this month as a friend of mine is selling me his almost new Carrera Sport wheels. My wheels are in pretty good condition with the fronts very good. A few bits of imperfections on the inner barrels which you do not really see. I think the wheels have been refurbished at some point in the past. If you are interested please  pm me.  My wheels are currently fitted on my 987.1 Boxster S.

I have the same wheels, you see quite a few boxsters with them on but I think the ride is quite hard on the 18’s. 
SWA in Exeter charge around £600 + £25 for each bolt that doesn’t come out as it has to be retapped but I understand they do I good job. Mine are not diamond cut on the rim as I don’t think the lacquer bonds so well so all silver. 

On 7/29/2020 at 2:15 PM, allatsea said:

IMG_3487%202.JPG?raw=1

IMG_4021.jpg?raw=1

AaS

Car looks great .... black suits the guards red ....

Archived