Pollen filter, 10bhp?

SuperPaulie

Title for lolz. I have never changed my pollen filter, and im still alive and can breath just fine. So my question is, should i really bother? what benefits am i going to get, improved air quality? im not that arsed i dont think so long as its breathable.

Any thoughts?

If you drive with the roof up or have a hard top the benefit would be higher with reduced pollen and diesel particulates getting into the cabin but if you have the roof down lots, possibly little point.  You're only saving about a tenner by not doing it though.

1 hour ago, myfirstboxster said:

For the price of a new filter and how easy they are to change it's a no brainer 

Yeah I know how much they cost and that's no issue obviously. It's more why should I replace it, I've never done it and felt no benefits or negatives, so what are the benefits I'd be getting for my sweet tenner?

10 hours ago, SuperPaulie said:

Yeah I know how much they cost and that's no issue obviously. It's more why should I replace it, I've never done it and felt no benefits or negatives, so what are the benefits I'd be getting for my sweet tenner?

Coming up to winter with a lot of top up driving , no natural air circulation apart from what's coming through the manky old pollen filter , when I first got my 986 it was obvious the filter hadn't been changed in a long time , the interior did smell a bit better after it was changed 

It would be interesting to know if any additional pollen actually gets through a dirty filter rather than a clean one. It’s likely that the downside is reduced airflow and hence strain on the fan motor, but I bet a clean one does little to improve air quality.  You could always take it out and give it a clean/hoover.

1 hour ago, EXY said:

Next question is do you replace with a BLACK or WHITE one 🤔

Active carbon version is OE spec and the price difference is about £4.

It is all slightly academic for an open top car, but when you do have the top closed or the a/c blowing full in you face then why not get better quality air by filtering it if you can?  As an aside, this filter was included in the fixed price service I just had.

If you just removed the old filter and did not replace, I would expect you'd get more debris through the vent ducts.  Appreciate that if you do not use the fan then not really an issue.

Based on my experience of working with industrial HVAC systems, an old dirty HEPA filter is likely to actually filter out more particulate than a clean one, however an old dirty filter will result in a lower flow rate.  What this means for the HVAC system in a car is that changing the filter to a clean one might give you more air through the vents, which might be helpful for defogging the windows, or keeping you warmer with the roof down on cold days.

Running without a filter will give you even more flow, and might even be worth it (I don't know how much of a difference it would make, it would depend on the filter size and I don't know whether additional flow through the vents would be beneficial in a Boxster as I don't own one yet.  I'd certainly consider trying it in my MX-5 which would benefit from more flow in winter. But my MX-5 doesn't have a cabin filter.....)

42 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Active carbon version is OE spec and the price difference is about £4.

It is all slightly academic for an open top car, but when you do have the top closed or the a/c blowing full in you face then why not get better quality air by filtering it if you can?  As an aside, this filter was included in the fixed price service I just had.

When I replaced ours in the 986 like a lot of others it had never been replaced,, car was 4 years old.

I don't think I ever replaced it again, just removed and dusted down with HP air. 

Long time ago but IIRC I replaced with a white standard from a factor's (Hengst I think) because a black activated carbon was about FOUR times the price, I'm happy with a non-oem pollen filter as we almost always had the roof down. 

I have had a Hyundai & KIA both with main dealer FSH's circa 8 years and despite the receipts showing a pollen filter they clearly had never been changed 🤔

The KIA was so badly bunged up it had burst through the overflow rubber flap and was depositing leaves and detritus into the glove box. This is why I never trust FSH"s

Archived