I crashed my 986, but I saved the smart top relay - who wants it?

ICrashedMy986SadFace

So this happened about 3 years ago. I'm ashamed to say that I wrote my old boxster off whilst driving to the car wash before the buyer was due to come the next day. I felt like a proper berk for months. Anyway, while I was waiting for the tow truck to drag it off the road I had the presence of mind to rip out the smart top relay. Now its just sitting here, looking at me, judging me...

Anyway, its yours if you want it, all I ask is that you cover postage. I'm based in Switzerland so it will be around GBP 10 - 20 at a guess.

Stay safe out there!

When I crashed my first 986 I saved the Smart top too but also the front and rear clear lights, tool roll, rear shelf, wind deflectors, handbooks, double Din Pioneer radio ... 😎🤣

Just now, Boxob said:

Allows one touch operation of the hood rather than holding the dash button down to raise or lower.

And on the move.

I have a modified relay which allows the roof to open close on the move, I coupled it with the robotop relay so I could one touch open the roof etc, removed the robotop in the end as you could easily hit it by mistake and it would try and open/raise the roof at any speed lol  :)

The smart top also has a safety mechanism which stops the operation it it senses an obstruction. At least twice it's saved me from ripping the roof latch out having not opened it properly. 

36 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

Seems pointless with a plastic screen, unless you don't bother with the chop.? 

I do but I understand a second press will stop the lowering of the hood so I can do a chop. Might even be able to do the chop while the hood lowers?  Not an issue when raising the hood on the move and more convenient than reaching across to cabin to hold the button whilst driving.

28 minutes ago, Boxob said:

I do but I understand a second press will stop the lowering of the hood so I can do a chop. Might even be able to do the chop while the hood lowers?  Not an issue when raising the hood on the move and more convenient than reaching across to cabin to hold the button whilst driving.

You should find that your routine will be sit down, start car, unlatch, hit switch get up, step out, chop, get in, clip seat belt and the roof will be stowed by then 

5 minutes ago, John2000 said:

^^^^^ what he said seems pointless to me because its all about closing the roof on the move.

You can close the roof one touch on the move and you don't need to chop. Excellent if it gets a bit too hot, joining a motorway, shower etc 

Archived