When do you put your roof down?

Cheddar Bob

On 11/23/2020 at 1:56 PM, RBD914 v2 said:

Having had several Boxsters over the last few years, I thought that I would miss the top down option when changing to my current 911.

But I don't miss it much, I drive for the pleasure of driving, to experience the power, speed and handling, together with the feel good factor that your chosen car provides. Plus I was getting a bit fed up of driving the Boxster top down in the usual cold and wet weather of Costa del Scotland! Or just not using it at all in bad weather.

My 911 meets and indeed exceeds my expectations. If I feel the need to see the sky and feel the wind in my hair, then I open the glass sunroof and drop the windows, job done! Plus I drive it all year round now rather than just in Summer, hence I got the Carrera 4 for the slippy roads of Winter. With the Boxster I always felt a bit of an idiot driving a soft top in the rain, ice and snow of Winter, plus there was always the danger of spinning it, so it sat in the garage unused for months on end.

Of course my Coupe plus sunroof is not the same as a fully open convertible, and I confess that I did consider a 911 Cabriolet or Targa, but for me the Coupe is the iconic shape for the 911 and is the best looking version to my eyes.

However I never quite understood why people choose a Cayman over a Boxster, the Boxster is a far better looking and versatile version of the same mid-engined car in my opinion!

When it comes to a 911 though....you know it makes sense!

91q 9

Deviating totally (sorry thread) but  I bought my boxster about 6 years ago  but noticed some quite hostile driving towards me since owning even thou it’s worth less than say a Ford Focus. Do you find this with a far more expensive 911? 
Going back to the original question, never really felt that comfortable with the roof down, don’t know why but feel a bit of a Pratt, anyone else share this ?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/23/2020 at 12:05 PM, Mr96er said:

I park it up with the roof down. Don’t see the point of having it up in the garage. I drive it out and it’s ready to go.

Becoz Spider Webs.

I like spiders but not when they appear out of nowhere when I'm trying to concentrate in traffic / tight bends. Similarly, spider webs are welcome to catch flies and mosquitos, which I hate, but they are not welcome to blow across and tickle my face when I least expect them.

3 hours ago, Boxsum said:

Deviating totally (sorry thread) but  I bought my boxster about 6 years ago  but noticed some quite hostile driving towards me since owning even thou it’s worth less than say a Ford Focus. Do you find this with a far more expensive 911? 
Going back to the original question, never really felt that comfortable with the roof down, don’t know why but feel a bit of a Pratt, anyone else share this ?

not at all. i take the view others wish they could drop their tops. after all im a bald white guy, mid 30's.... got to live up to the hype

regarding hostile behaviour.... i no longer notice it.

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

Becoz Spider Webs.

I like spiders but not when they appear out of nowhere when I'm trying to concentrate in traffic / tight bends. Similarly, spider webs are welcome to catch flies and mosquitos, which I hate, but they are not welcome to blow across and tickle my face when I least expect them.

My garage and climate don’t seem to encourage spiders. Only Spyders🤷🏾‍♂️

3 hours ago, Boxsum said:

No I don't notice any more hostile driving towards the 911 than my previous Boxsters. Probably less in fact, maybe the 911 is viewed in the same way / category as say a Ferrari/Aston/McLaren, so people don't seem to try to race it as much!

I think maybe convertibles in general provoke an adverse reaction in some drivers, the "show off" or "envy" factor kicking in maybe?

Any convertible is a bit "look at me" after all, so if you can't deal with that then don't buy one - because it is sacrilege to drive a convertible with the top up in dry weather!

8 minutes ago, RBD914 v2 said:

No I don't notice any more hostile driving towards the 911 than my previous Boxsters. Probably less in fact, maybe the 911 is viewed in the same way / category as say a Ferrari/Aston/McLaren, so people don't seem to try to race it as much!

I think maybe convertibles in general provoke an adverse reaction in some drivers, the "show off" or "envy" factor kicking in maybe?

Any convertible is a bit "look at me" after all, so if you can't deal with that then don't buy one - because it is sacrilege to drive a convertible with the top up in dry weather!

That’s interesting to know! I guess that’s where the cayman fits in quite nicely as it’s more affordable than the mentioned above without maybe the animosity of the boxster.

Be interesting to know Cayman owner thoughts? 
Would love your 911 😉

• 2 weeks later...

So I drove home Friday night with the roof down. I had a hat on and a scarf, but was in a shirt only. Apart from 70+mph feeling a little bit of a chill, i was nice and toasty all the way home. (30miles)

Heaters on full mind, but still, at only a few degrees, not an issue!

Those who want to experience the confused looks of passers have a go

On 11/24/2020 at 5:48 PM, Boxsum said:

Nope.  Not even a little bit. Close on 20 years of convertible ownership. (not all Porsche) 

And also not had any negativity towards me driving a Porsche roof up or down,lorries are just as happy to tailgate me in my Toyota as they are in the boxster and chavs are just as likely to show me how fast a sticker, a can of red bull and a joint makes them irrespective of what I am driving. 

i would suggest that if you still don’t feel comfortable with the roof down after 6 years then you probably are looking for other people’s reaction and acceptance rather than just enjoying it.  

does it matter what anyone else thinks, if they actually think anything at all ?  15 seconds after you have gone past they have stopped thinking about you, so just do what you enjoy roof up of down  

Archived