When do you put your roof down?

Cheddar Bob

So I find the act of owning a drop top and not dropping the top as something that confuses me. 

Even when it is cold I'll drop it, but have the heating on.. 

I'm bald so top of my head gets cold but that's just life 

Anyone else like me? Drop it whenever you can?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As the car is used all year round I have the hard top on during the winter months, two reasons, one it makes it really cosy in the winter and secondly its like driving two different cars, the look and feel changes.

I need double digit temps to drop the roof, but a quiet starry cold night has been known. 

Gloves, scarf & wooly hat are a must, even with heated seats .... i'm getting old 

As often as I can - driven about 2000 miles since buying it last August (thanks Covid) and have had the roof down for at least 1800 of those miles. I live in Scotland but have a boring car for rainy days. Heater on full with the dash vents pointing at your hands is the answer. And a hat...

If it's dry the roof is down with one exception, if I'm going on a motorway and it's really cold, you just can't keep warm, but I only take it on the motorway if I'm on my way to a Porsche meet say on Leeds area!!

My roof goes down in 15 seconds so it used to be any journey longer than 30 seconds...

but I'm seeing the creases in the rear corner of the roof and they are starting to sever the threads so now for 2-mile journeys I might choose to leave it up :( 

My first car was a plastic bathtub with a tent on top (2-seat kit car) so am used to it.

When I first got a Boxster I must admit to being a top down, unless its raining fascist. Although my fun car,  I do average around 7000  miles p.a. so after 6 years I find I have mellowed. It is a convertible, you have choice, top up or down the Boxster is great. Seats and heater on, wooly hat and away you go on a freezing but sunny winters day. Have to say though the 986 is a good bit more snug than the 987. A WW2 Irvin flight jacket to wear is nice bling accessory.

https://www.moto-lita.co.uk/flying-driving-jackets/

2 minutes ago, Topbox said:

When I first got a Boxster I must admit to being a top down, unless its raining fascist. Although my fun car,  I do average around 7000  miles p.a. so after 6 years I find I have mellowed. It is a convertible, you have choice, top up or down the Boxster is great. Seats and heater on, wooly hat and away you go on a freezing but sunny winters day. Have to say though the 986 is a good bit more snug than the 987. A WW2 Irvin flight jacket to wear is nice bling accessory.

Do you go for the Sheepskin hat and goggles to match? 😉

I have a very old and tatty flying jacket I had from a second hand shop around 10 years ago, fantastically warm!

5 minutes ago, Christopher2110 said:

Do you go for the Sheepskin hat and goggles to match? 😉

I'm tempted even though its perhaps a step to far and I would look a complete and utter plonker 😁

16 minutes ago, Topbox said:

I would look a complete and utter plonker 😁

You'd look even more of a plonker if you drove a yellow one...

Porsche being Porsche have obviously decided that if someone wants to drive their boxster up to the top of an Alp somewhere in the middle January with the top down then the car should allow them to do so in reasonable comfort. I've never put the roof up because of cold only rain. Beanie, gloves if necessary, bum heaters, heater is great. Other drivers look at you like you're a nutcase but it's OK. Went round to see a mate the other evening and he was 'you must be freezing' but I was fine. Went home hour or so later still roof down.

Funnily enough until I got this car I hated convertibles. This is partly because of my first car which was a triumph vitesse convertible. What a pile that was. Great for doing u-turns in tight places is all. Put me off convertibles for 40 years. Oh I also briefly owned a Sunbeam Alpine. That didn't help either.

You do see a lot of convertibles - often BMs - being driven with the roof up on warm sunny days. Don't get that. I suspect that because you're so low down inside the boxster you're more sheltered than in a saloon with the roof chopped off. 

1 hour ago, Topbox said:

A WW2 Irvin flight jacket to wear is nice bling accessory.

Got one for my 18th.  They are bling but in the days of technical skiing jackets and heated seats they are much more appearance than function.  I still own it as it was a really beloved gift, but I barely wear it.  Of course living in a country where it doesn't go below +6C doesn't help much, so actually I've just left it in the UK... it might get aired when I pop over to the parents for Christmas.  And believe it or not it wasn't warm enough for Moscow, as the cuffs and waist let cold air in.

Archived