When do you put your roof down?

Cheddar Bob

15 minutes ago, Pinewood said:

Have encountered a rain shower on the motorway. My 911 chums were applauding the 20mph hard shoulder roof raise manoeuvre 

You should have braved it out and nodded and smiled at anyone looking at you like some kind of maniac 😁

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roof down most of the time really. I don’t tend to think of it as a car with a roof. 

Went out with JohnK and crew last year one early morning and cracked my roof putting it up for a motorway section down to Bridgnorth. @JohnK didn’t think I’d suffered enough, or his ocd kicked in and decided I needed more balance so promptly cracked my front screen to match. 

At this point I began to question some of my life choices😫

🤣🤣🤣

I appreciate that having only acquired my Boxster in June I'm very much still in the first raptures of love but I bought a convertible because I wanted a convertible - why else would you buy one? 

Off the top of my head I can't think of any convertibles or targas that look better than the hardtop equivalent with the roof up so it's not about the aesthetics. Obviously apart from being way better fun the better ones also all look far better with the roof down than the hardtop.

And even on my 2004 986 it's a pretty slick operation - a bit handier than my last convertible in the early 90's (that's how long I've been yearning for another one!) which was a X1/9.  Wonderful little car but the targa roof removal and storage under bonnet process single-handed was anything but slick and speedy so a bit more attention to the forecast was needed.

I've done about 3.5K miles since June and almost all roof down. It's an almost narcotic joy. Had to put the hood up at traffic lights yesterday when it started to rain suddenly.  Left it a bit late so had to take off when the lights changed and the procedure was only 85% completed.  Drove gingerly until I was able to pull over and complete the operation. 😆 The heater has been up to the challenge so far even at night although as the temperatures drop I can see how heated seats might be a worthwhile option. Car is now permanently equipped with woolly hat and gloves.  Dress appropriately.

What I do wonder is this: if buying a sports car is primarily about driving enjoyment rather than practicality and if convertibles are clearly more fun than hardtops and if modern convertibles are all so much improved vs the Midget/MGB/Spitfire era why would you buy a sports car that is NOT a convertible, particularly when there is a convertible option.  Case in point: why would you buy a Cayman (or even a 911) rather than a Boxster - particularly if outright performance on public roads is not the ultimate objective? Thoughts?

17 hours ago, Paul P said:

there is always the risk that some random will throw a black sack full of rubbish into the car

In the days when I drove a 911 SC, I was waiting to enter a roundabout when a truck going round it slopped liquid concrete all over the car.  It was the standard large earth-moving truck, and it must have been filled to the brim.

Fortunately, I hadn't removed the targa top.

2 hours ago, Brian B said:

Case in point: why would you buy a Cayman (or even a 911) rather than a Boxster - particularly if outright performance on public roads is not the ultimate objective? Thoughts?

I bought the Boxster despite the fact it is a convertible. 

I must admit, I have enjoyed the Boxster with the roof down, but would prefer a Cayman. 

My Z4 Coupe was a much nicer car than the convertible, no annoying noises and it felt very different to drive, the chassis was super stiff and that transferred into how well it handled. 

Funnily enough, I get less annoyed by noises with the roof down, when it is up the amount of road noise, wind noise etc. gets on my nerves over 50 or 60mph. It is not a car I would want to do the commute in, where as no problem doing it in a 911 or Cayman.  But, it is one of the better convertibles in that regard and have been pleasantly surprised at how well it copes. 

I bought a hood with glass screen today, so hoping that will reduce the wind and road noise enough for me to no longer care. We shall see. 

18 minutes ago, gIzzE said:

I bought the Boxster despite the fact it is a convertible. 

I must admit, I have enjoyed the Boxster with the roof down, but would prefer a Cayman. 

My Z4 Coupe was a much nicer car than the convertible, no annoying noises and it felt very different to drive, the chassis was super stiff and that transferred into how well it handled. 

Funnily enough, I get less annoyed by noises with the roof down, when it is up the amount of road noise, wind noise etc. gets on my nerves over 50 or 60mph. It is not a car I would want to do the commute in, where as no problem doing it in a 911 or Cayman.  But, it is one of the better convertibles in that regard and have been pleasantly surprised at how well it copes. 

I bought a hood with glass screen today, so hoping that will reduce the wind and road noise enough for me to no longer care. We shall see. 

Hope that new hood works for you.

I realise I'm talking from a position of limited experience. I've done almost no hood-up or motorway driving with my Boxster so far.  What little I have done, it seemed fine albeit a very different experience to driving with the hood down.

It's also probably highly dependent on the type of driving you mainly do. If you are using the car as a daily driver or most journeys are commuting-related on UK motorways as opposed to 100% leisure and fun-focused as mine is, then I can see how a more refined hardtop might be more appealing - particularly from a noise perspective.

What I definitely don't get is the number of BM and Audi convertibles I see being driven roof-up on a glorious mid-summer day.  And I'm not sure I've EVER seen an SLK being driven with the roof down?  Do the owners even know they are convertibles?🤣🤣🤣 

28 minutes ago, Brian B said:

What I definitely don't get is the number of BM and Audi convertibles I see being driven roof-up on a glorious mid-summer day.  And I'm not sure I've EVER seen an SLK being driven with the roof down?  Do the owners even know they are convertibles?🤣🤣🤣 

Are you kidding? Don't you know how important their hairstyle is?

2 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Are you kidding? Don't you know how important their hairstyle is?

OK - I didn't want to go there.  Mindful of the many barbs that have been unfairly cast in the direction of Boxster owners in the past.

But - what the hell ...of course their hairstyle is important.  They are all hairdressers after all!

Not had one for too long and first convertible I've had, but generally so far it is like most others - i.e. unless it is raining, wrap up a bit and enjoy the top down experience.

One question / concern I've had though as we get to winter is that someone has already mentioned a problem with lowering and the rear windscreen and I think either on here or facebook groups, there have been recommendations not to use the mechanism when it gets to around zero degrees.

So would like to know / ask, is that more scaremongering not to try to make the motors work / possibly put pressure on the rear glass once it gets to frosty temps, or something to really consider not doing when it gets that cold?

I don't see why you can't lower a glass rear screen at any temp.  The point is relevant for the early 986 cars with plastic screen - they crack.

Though in my memory is a faded part of a manual that someone shared once, that did say not to lower the roof in very low temperatures - no idea why.  Frozen canvas could crack?

Maybe I'm wrong and it was facebook groups rather than here, but think it was mentioned not just about the glass but the motors & mechanism itself and maybe the manual or a sticker said something about not using lower than zero degrees - maybe though not actually true if people here haven't heard of it / don't follow it.

3 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

I don't see why you can't lower a glass rear screen at any temp.  The point is relevant for the early 986 cars with plastic screen - they crack.

Though in my memory is a faded part of a manual that someone shared once, that did say not to lower the roof in very low temperatures - no idea why.  Frozen canvas could crack?

I imagine it is more to do with any lumps of ice the mechanism would strain to crush or that would jam it rather than just frost except original 986s with the vinyl rear screen, in which case 10°C and above ambient or once you've warmed the cabin up.  Once folded down the engine will keep it warm so safe to put it up.

My car is kept in the garage so if I lower the roof before going for a sub zero drive it's lowered whilst still above freezing 🤔

20 hours ago, Brian B said:

I appreciate that having only acquired my Boxster in June I'm very much still in the first raptures of love but I bought a convertible because I wanted a convertible - why else would you buy one? 

Off the top of my head I can't think of any convertibles or targas that look better than the hardtop equivalent with the roof up so it's not about the aesthetics. Obviously apart from being way better fun the better ones also all look far better with the roof down than the hardtop.

And even on my 2004 986 it's a pretty slick operation - a bit handier than my last convertible in the early 90's (that's how long I've been yearning for another one!) which was a X1/9.  Wonderful little car but the targa roof removal and storage under bonnet process single-handed was anything but slick and speedy so a bit more attention to the forecast was needed.

I've done about 3.5K miles since June and almost all roof down. It's an almost narcotic joy. Had to put the hood up at traffic lights yesterday when it started to rain suddenly.  Left it a bit late so had to take off when the lights changed and the procedure was only 85% completed.  Drove gingerly until I was able to pull over and complete the operation. 😆 The heater has been up to the challenge so far even at night although as the temperatures drop I can see how heated seats might be a worthwhile option. Car is now permanently equipped with woolly hat and gloves.  Dress appropriately.

What I do wonder is this: if buying a sports car is primarily about driving enjoyment rather than practicality and if convertibles are clearly more fun than hardtops and if modern convertibles are all so much improved vs the Midget/MGB/Spitfire era why would you buy a sports car that is NOT a convertible, particularly when there is a convertible option.  Case in point: why would you buy a Cayman (or even a 911) rather than a Boxster - particularly if outright performance on public roads is not the ultimate objective? Thoughts?

I mirror your thoughts. Except for the X19😂

13 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

My previous car (987.2) had a little card tucked onto the sun visor strap that earned about dropping the roof when the ambient temp was less than a few degrees above freezing.  

Only spotted it after a winter of roof dropping and decided it was a “keep stupid safe from themselves” thing to prevent mechanism damage by people try to open roofs that were frozen shyate or covered in ice I choose to ignore it. 

if roof was heavily frosted I probably would wait until it had warmed up and thawed but it’s a common sense thing. 

13 hours ago, Babaa said:

Maybe I'm wrong and it was facebook groups rather than here, but think it was mentioned not just about the glass but the motors & mechanism itself and maybe the manual or a sticker said something about not using lower than zero degrees - maybe though not actually true if people here haven't heard of it / don't follow it.

The user manual states:

Do not operate convertible top:
– At temperatures below 32°F/0°C

Thanks Davey, so it does exist.  My guess is it's something to do with frozen canvas. I really don't see why other parts of the car should work below freezing but not the roof mechanism, and the glass is not under any threat that I could understand.

Thanks Davey, so it does exist.  My guess is it's something to do with frozen canvas. I really don't see why other parts of the car should work below freezing but not the roof mechanism, and the glass is not under any threat that I could understand.

I would have thought if the canvas was frozen it might put strain on the moving parts as they try to fold it.  I think the ball joints are designed to sheer off if anything stops the roof from closing, so I guess it wouldn't be too drastic anyway.

Getting back to the original post topic, personally I only put the top down when I feel like it, so not necessarily every time I drive the car.  On hot days I would always have it down because the air con doesn't work (must get that looked at sometime... ) but as the temperature drops it becomes a judgement call depending on how I feel.  I've driven it a few times this year when the temperature is in single figures, and it's fine with the heating turned up and a beanie hat/neck roll/gloves on.  I don't feel the need for heated seats or a wind deflector, which is just as well because mine hasn't got either of those... :lol:

Every time my car leaves the garage the roof is down. Roof goes back up when it’s tucked up for the night.

I bought a convertible to have the roof down. I’m fortunate - it’s a weekend toy only so only gets used when it’s dry and a dry forecast.

Some people won’t like my approach to weekend only use - but it’s what I’ve decided. It’s my toy, and I’ll play with it how I like 😂😂

I can honestly report my boxster has spent more time with its roof down than up. I park it up with the roof down. Don’t see the point of having it up in the garage. I drive it out and it’s ready to go. Only time roof is up in the garage is if I’ve driven home and put it away wet. 

Having had several Boxsters over the last few years, I thought that I would miss the top down option when changing to my current 911.

But I don't miss it much, I drive for the pleasure of driving, to experience the power, speed and handling, together with the feel good factor that your chosen car provides. Plus I was getting a bit fed up of driving the Boxster top down in the usual cold and wet weather of Costa del Scotland! Or just not using it at all in bad weather.

My 911 meets and indeed exceeds my expectations. If I feel the need to see the sky and feel the wind in my hair, then I open the glass sunroof and drop the windows, job done! Plus I drive it all year round now rather than just in Summer, hence I got the Carrera 4 for the slippy roads of Winter. With the Boxster I always felt a bit of an idiot driving a soft top in the rain, ice and snow of Winter, plus there was always the danger of spinning it, so it sat in the garage unused for months on end.

Of course my Coupe plus sunroof is not the same as a fully open convertible, and I confess that I did consider a 911 Cabriolet or Targa, but for me the Coupe is the iconic shape for the 911 and is the best looking version to my eyes.

However I never quite understood why people choose a Cayman over a Boxster, the Boxster is a far better looking and versatile version of the same mid-engined car in my opinion!

When it comes to a 911 though....you know it makes sense!

91q 9

Archived