When do you put your roof down?

Cheddar Bob

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine is with pockets to keep my hands warm as I don't have a biplane and don't need it in my Boxster.  And I got it made with white fur not "honey" as it looks better.

Sorry to shock you but I don't have a handlebar moustache either :) 

5 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Got one for my 18th.  They are bling but in the days of technical skiing jackets and heated seats they are much more appearance than function.  I still own it as it was a really beloved gift, but I barely wear it.  Of course living in a country where it doesn't go below +6C doesn't help much, so actually I've just left it in the UK... it might get aired when I pop over to the parents for Christmas.  And believe it or not it wasn't warm enough for Moscow, as the cuffs and waist let cold air in.

Bought one for my wife ages ago. She never wears it - says it never gets cold enough. She's never been to Moscow though. Far as I know.

I have an earlier Box with vinyl rear window so more sensitive to temp.  Will run the car to get good temp inside so the window is less likely to crack, although I do have small split in a bottom corner but fortunately edge to edge across the corner so not developing, so roof goes down 10-15mins into longer runs unless a long motorway run if below about 12°C or with risk of rain.  Summer - pretty much every time it moves.

15 years, 200k miles and 3 convertibles.  (2 x box. 1 x Audi A4) 

Done roof down between -10 and +40c. 

one of the best roof down drives was late at night, snowing with (then 12 year old ) daughter cranking up the tunes and watching the snow go over the car. 

have also done a 50 mile stretch of French motorway at about 45 mph in the rain with it blowing over the top  

But. Have been known to put roof up when sat in 30 mins of traffic on the m25 when it was nearly 30c.  

was baking and air con appealed.  

My only exception to always roof down is London commute.  No fun in heavy traffic and there is always the risk that some random will throw a black sack full of rubbish into the car. ( yup. It happened, brick layers arms roundabout, top end of the old Kent road.  Pickup truck going the other way with a geezer in the flat bed threw a bag at me.  Brilliant shot given he was moving and I couldn’t help but laugh )

with the box allowing roof operation up to 30 I can pick and choose on the commutes as to when it’s time. 

it’s a big part of why I have it. 

box needs the heated seats for me, Audi didn’t have or need them heater was immense, box 1 didn’t have them and it became a need for box 2. 

but I am an amateur wannabe compared to @iborguk

9 minutes ago, Paul P said:

15 years, 200k miles and 3 convertibles.  (2 x box. 1 x Audi A4) 

Done roof down between -10 and +40c. 

one of the best roof down drives was late at night, snowing with (then 12 year old ) daughter cranking up the tunes and watching the snow go over the car. 

have also done a 50 mile stretch of French motorway at about 45 mph in the rain with it blowing over the top  

But. Have been known to put roof up when sat in 30 mins of traffic on the m25 when it was nearly 30c.  

was baking and air con appealed.  

My only exception to always roof down is London commute.  No fun in heavy traffic and there is always the risk that some random will throw a black sack full of rubbish into the car. ( yup. It happened, brick layers arms roundabout, top end of the old Kent road.  Pickup truck going the other way with a geezer in the flat bed threw a bag at me.  Brilliant shot given he was moving and I couldn’t help but laugh )

with the box allowing roof operation up to 30 I can pick and choose on the commutes as to when it’s time. 

it’s a big part of why I have it. 

box needs the heated seats for me, Audi didn’t have or need them heater was immense, box 1 didn’t have them and it became a need for box 2. 

but I am an amateur wannabe compared to @iborguk

We don’t talk about the time I bought a telly as it started to snow , had the roof down as it was the only way to fit it in the Ashtray Convertible I had at the time.

Got to the motorway home , by which time it was proper snowing and a police Range Rover passed me with the occupants shaking their heads.

We don’t talk about that...

😀

Just now, iborguk said:

We don’t talk about the time I bought a telly as it started to snow , had the roof down as it was the only way to fit it in the Ashtray Convertible I had at the time.

Got to the motorway home , by which time it was proper snowing and a police Range Rover passed me with the occupants shaking their heads.

We don’t talk about that...

😀

Or the time you had the ashtray recovered with roof a bit “grand old duke of York - half way up and half way down “ on the back of the low loader facing the wrong way .....

8 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Or the time you had the ashtray recovered with roof a bit “grand old duke of York - half way up and half way down “ on the back of the low loader facing the wrong way .....

Ah yes. 

Same Ashtray, same road.

Suited and booted driving home from work, roof down.

Skys darken and it's horizontal rain. 

Pull off motorway. 

Roof goes half way and no further. Will not go up or down. No room for styling it out.

Call RAC. I'm not quite the ditzy young thing they expected to be driving said car and there's a lot of laughing (mainly from them)

Fortunately they'd sent a car carrier and not a van (I'd explained the dilemma on the phone obviously)

Got it loaded and driving up the road I'm watching the roof lifting ever backwards as he's driving at motorway speeds.

Anyway got it home and after drying it out for 3 days some faulty wiring was found and fixed.

Sorted.

Basically my roof down decision matrix is If Pulse And Not Horizontal Rain Then Roof Down.

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

I have an earlier Box with vinyl rear window so more sensitive to temp.  Will run the car to get good temp inside so the window is less likely to crack, although I do have small split in a bottom corner but fortunately edge to edge across the corner so not developing, so roof goes down 10-15mins into longer runs unless a long motorway run if below about 12°C or with risk of rain.  Summer - pretty much every time it moves.

My screen cracked today!  😢

I had been out for a good 45 mins, the cabin was far too warm. When I got back I had some Gummi Pflege that I was going to apply around all the seals, so dropped the roof and heard it "CRACK!" 

Big split on the left hand side. 

The breaker down the road from me has a mk2 glass screen complete hood for sale. So going to pop down and see what they will take for it. Needs to be an upgrade if it is going to cost me.
It looks a bit dusty/faded, but I guess it will clean up OK if I dye it and treat it??

I was thinking about moving this on and buying a Cayman as well, but that will probably have to wait now. 

26 minutes ago, Billzeebub said:

driving at speed in rain/snow with roof down is also good fun

Not had the pleasure of that in Box ownership yet , used to like the fact in previous cars that in non-horizontal rain it would appear to (mostly) go over the top of the cabin at motorway speeds. Not so good when you slow down on the slip road mind.

4 minutes ago, gIzzE said:

I had been out for a good 45 mins, the cabin was far too warm. When I got back I had some Gummi Pflege that I was going to apply around all the seals, so dropped the roof and heard it "CRACK!" 

The breaker down the road from me has a mk2 glass screen complete hood for sale. So going to pop down and see what they will take for it. Needs to be an upgrade if it is going to cost me.
It looks a bit dusty/faded, but I guess it will clean up OK if I dye it and treat it??

I was thinking about moving this on and buying a Cayman as well, but that will probably have to wait now. 

Mine cracked at about 12 degrees whilst doing the PITA chop.  Fitted a BAS hood with a glass screen best mod I've done by miles....I can see out the back, demist and don't have to get out halfway through dropping the hood, happy dayz

I've been on the motorway before with the roof down and the heavens have opened.  Not a lot you can do at 70mph. Other road users looking at me like I'm some kind of maniac.  Very little water coming into the car other than a few dribbles round the top of the windows.  

Another time I was in traffic and it started hailing really heavily, too fast to put the roof up and nowhere to stop - the cockpit rapidly filled - I had to use a dustpan and brush to clear it all out when I got home 🤔

2 hours ago, gIzzE said:

You could get the vinyl replaced for £250-300 I believe, save some pennies for the Cayman fund.  I'm caught in the vinyl only vs new with glass debate, but having just spent a load on suspension I might have to go the replacement vinyl route and convince myself on originality.

9 hours ago, rowbos said:

I've been on the motorway before with the roof down and the heavens have opened.  Not a lot you can do at 70mph. Other road users looking at me like I'm some kind of maniac.  Very little water coming into the car other than a few dribbles round the top of the windows.  

Another time I was in traffic and it started hailing really heavily, too fast to put the roof up and nowhere to stop - the cockpit rapidly filled - I had to use a dustpan and brush to clear it all out when I got home 🤔

I've also been out in downpours and can concur with your statement about rain. 🌧️

I felt everyone was hoping for a tragfic jam so I'd get wet....

Roof down whenever possible, sometimes subject to objection from the Mrs if she has forgotten her knee blanket, woolly hat and scarf! Also been caught in rain a few times but not soaked.In our MG TF some years ago, caught just under a bridge with roof down which had a load of pidgeons on the ledge and yes one did a big s**t and got the top of the a post and dribbled just inside - close.

Pic taken in summer but still a bit cold!

8O6pIHE.jpg

11 hours ago, rowbos said:

Have encountered a rain shower on the motorway. My 911 chums were applauding the 20mph hard shoulder roof raise manoeuvre 

Archived