Wet Carpet

Gareth_W

Hi all, looking for some advice, just been checking over the car and the passenger side carpet is soaked underneath (surface dry) I am considering removing the carpet to dry it out, does anyone know if the carpet is one piece or can I remove just the passenger side? Or other methods to dry the carpet in place. Obviously I need to address where the ingress is coming from so looking for suggestions on this too, I have checked drain holes (all clear), I have recently done the door membrane, now dry (possible source)

Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated. (I am aware of the control module under the seat)

Next likely place is the little gutter just behind your shoulder. One piece can be misaligned, another can be punctured often by a roof arm when the ball joint snaps.

Others will hopefully help clarify my dodgy descriptions.

52 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Next likely place is the little gutter just behind your shoulder. One piece can be misaligned, another can be punctured often by a roof arm when the ball joint snaps.

Others will hopefully help clarify my dodgy descriptions.

Ball joints in tact no sign of punctures, will look for gutters, I have also noticed that the drain hole on the passenger side appears to be high so there is a little pooling of water seems odd to me but at the same time looks like its meant to be,  here's a pic for clarification

RjbLWJ6.jpg

To dry the carpet in situ,

1. remove passenger seat.

2. Push your hand into the seam between the back off the carpet and the firewall carpet. Pull the carpet up from the rear. It should "invert" a bit.

3. Slot in towels, newspapers,  anything absorbent under the raised carpet. Stand on the carpet to squeeze out the water. Repeat until as dry as possible.

4. Keep the carpet propped in the "raised" position to allow air to circulated. A heater will help drying.

5. It's possible to refit the seat and still raise the carpet enough to insert a newspaper to continue the drying process.

• Thanks 1

Looks to me like the membrane has been pulled up when something used to clean it has been withdrawn? Can you push it back down into place?

For drying out, I used a towel jammed as far under the foam as possible and then press a few times with the foot and remove, then remove and do the same with a second towel and leav it in there overnight before changing until it’s sufficiently dry. Reminds me, I must put the towel back in and mend bumpy membrane🤣

4 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

Looks to me like the membrane has been pulled up when something used to clean it has been withdrawn? Can you push it back down into place?

I have tried pushing it down but it reverts back, maybe try and get my hand under it and push in

2 hours ago, Boxob said:

To dry the carpet in situ,

1. remove passenger seat.

2. Push your hand into the seam between the back off the carpet and the firewall carpet. Pull the carpet up from the rear. It should "invert" a bit.

3. Slot in towels, newspapers,  anything absorbent under the raised carpet. Stand on the carpet to squeeze out the water. Repeat until as dry as possible.

4. Keep the carpet propped in the "raised" position to allow air to circulated. A heater will help drying.

5. It's possible to refit the seat and still raise the carpet enough to insert a newspaper to continue the drying process.

Agree with all of the above. In addition to number 4, use a block of wood or something. I used a combination of a heater and a dehumidifier for 4/5 evenings. Heater facing down on the carpet and the dehumidifier propped on to the center console..

4 hours ago, Gareth_W said:

Ball joints in tact no sign of punctures, will look for gutters, I have also noticed that the drain hole on the passenger side appears to be high so there is a little pooling of water seems odd to me but at the same time looks like its meant to be,  here's a pic for clarification

RjbLWJ6.jpg

That doesn't look right to me - although my experience is with 987.2 - I don't think they are different in that area - the drain hole shouldn't sit proud, mine are very much at the lowest point in that area - also on the front edge - that looks like some witness marks of some kind of impact/friction. Are you sure that the area thats lower than the drain isn't "pushed in" rather than the drain being "popped out"

There are also two more drains in the area - they are vertical in the inner edge of the channel where the clamshell sits item 2 on drain plan (one each side)

987_drain_plan

987_drain_clearing

8 minutes ago, Paul P said:

That doesn't look right to me - although my experience is with 987.2 - I don't think they are different in that area - the drain hole shouldn't sit proud, mine are very much at the lowest point in that area - also on the front edge - that looks like some witness marks of some kind of impact/friction. Are you sure that the area thats lower than the drain isn't "pushed in" rather than the drain being "popped out"

There are also two more drains in the area - they are vertical in the inner edge of the channel where the clamshell sits item 2 on drain plan (one each side)

987_drain_plan

987_drain_clearing

I will check the other drains, and will try and sort membrane on Sat when I'm off.

• 2 years later...

Hi 

Are door/roof seals expensive to replace on a 987 gen 2. Ive got condensation and a damp drivers side carpet. Im using towels but havent lifted the carpet yet. Thered a drip from the joint above the drivers door window where the roof joins the windscreen. Not much but I guess over time it might soak a carpet. The damp seems to be behind the drivers seat rarher that in front. Do I just change the.door/roof seal?

Any advice welcomed

John M

Edited by John987
Spelling

7 minutes ago, John987 said:

Hi 

Are door/roof seals expensive to replace on a 987 gen 2. Ive got condensation and a damp drivers side carpet. Im using towels but havent lifted the carpet yet. Thered a drip from the joint above the drivers door window where the roof joins the windscreen. Not much but I guess over time it might soak a carpet. The damp seems to be behind the drivers seat rarher that in front. Do I just change the.door/roof seal?

Any advice welcomed

John M

Go to this topic:

4 hours ago, John987 said:

Hi 

Any advice welcomed

John M

appreciate this is teaching you to suck eggs, but i would be surprised if a drip made a significant wet patch - have you checked and cleared all the drain holes front and rear? Are the door bottoms dry?  they are the usual suspects for substantial leaks.

Others have suggested gummi-fledge on the door rubbers which can help stop leaks coming though - might be worth a try before replacing the door seals?

As you have found out, the sponge under the carpet can hold a LOT of water - so can take a long time to dry out if you can't get it out of the car.

Hi all,

So taking a drivers seat out to get access to the damp carpet, I expect there will be connectors for heat vented etc. Any sequence I need to follow, some say disconnect battery first. I was just going to undo boltys and unplug.

John

24 minutes ago, John987 said:

Hi all,

So taking a drivers seat out to get access to the damp carpet, I expect there will be connectors for heat vented etc. Any sequence I need to follow, some say disconnect battery first. I was just going to undo boltys and unplug.

John

Disconnect the battery first unless you've diagnostic gear which can cancel out the resultant airbag light.

• Thanks 1