TPMS

TrevTee

OPC carried out a vehicle check today while the PSE was being replaced under warranty.  No issues apart from 5 year old (2016 car) Pirelli tyres have some cracking in the tread and the TPMS batteries are low.  Asked for a quote to replace the tyres with Michelin's and also to replace the TPMS batteries. No problem with the tyres, but they wanted £613 for four new TPMS sensors.

Is this a known problem with these cars, anyone else been told their batteries were low and they needed to replace the sensors.

27 minutes ago, TrevTee said:

OPC carried out a vehicle check today while the PSE was being replaced under warranty.  No issues apart from 5 year old (2016 car) Pirelli tyres have some cracking in the tread and the TPMS batteries are low.  Asked for a quote to replace the tyres with Michelin's and also to replace the TPMS batteries. No problem with the tyres, but they wanted £613 for four new TPMS sensors.

Is this a known problem with these cars, anyone else been told their batteries were low and they needed to replace the sensors.

I don't have a 981 with TPMS but would expect the batteries to last 5 - 7 years based on a quick Google trawl.

So you're in the range on that basis.

Edited by iborguk

@TrevTee No idea if any good, @Paul P found this link re replacement sensors which claim to be original at £86 a sensor, although bear in mind the warranty angle (bet these wont be stamped with a Porsche part number)

https://tpmswarehouse.co.uk/shop/porsche-tpms/porsche-boxster-tpms/porsche-boxster-2009-2016-original-replacement-tpms-sensor/

Edited by iborguk

20 minutes ago, TrevTee said:

Thanks for the link.  Just surprised there are no posts about this as all new cars since 2012 had to have TPMS fitted.  Maybe mine have just failed early?

Maybe people are sucking it up, not bothering to replace them or ignoring the low battery errors when they occur.

I'm not a 981'er but like I said 5 -7 years to be the range on a Google, I saw a few 981 hits on Rennlist with people saying they replaced them at 5 years.

Current original Porsche part number is 9A7 907 275 06 at £125, so there's some profit/labour in the OPC pricing quoted - I'd guess a bit of PIWIS time factored in.

Edited by iborguk

11 minutes ago, TrevTee said:

Thanks for the link.  Just surprised there are no posts about this as all new cars since 2012 had to have TPMS fitted.  Maybe mine have just failed early?

Not all cars (non Porsche) use discrete sensors for the compulsory tpms system. 

The “cheaper” cars use the whee speed sensors and work out of a wheel is turning a bit faster or slower than the others indicating that there is a “rolling diameter” difference which apparently is enough to satisfy the regs.  

Not as accurate at telling you what actual pressures are but a means of saying “ones different”. 

I have read anything between 5 and 10 years and there are some “works just like the original honest mate” ones out there for much less. 

i wonder on the pricing of the opc are quoting a “blended price” for replacement so parts + wheel off and tyre off and swap abs refit tyre abs refit wheel (x 4)

Given they are already taking wheels and tyres off and back on for the Michelin’s then the labour incremental for fitting new sensor should be minimal. 

might be worth asking for a breakdown of the “job” to see what they think you are paying for.  

My older ones lasted 7 years. Different sensors have different range predictions.

I've finally changed them (inactive for 4 years!) to recommended cheaper ones, I think about 350 the set.  Which frankly don't work well (start car, no readings for 15-20 mins, then "have you changed wheel size, please reset system"). Indeed Porsche are better as they show which wheel is which, rather than just "beep one of your tyres is low". Car is in for brake service now, I've asked to change the sensors and I'll cough up for originals if necessary, these are of little use to me in this state.

@r1flyguy found a US site where they are a lot cheaper. I didn't order for a few reasons, I think sometimes price depends on whether valve is included or not, but mainly I'm irritated by trying to save a few quid and then they don't work so I have to send them back again, I don't have good prior experiences there.

18 hours ago, TrevTee said:

I’m not sure about “all new cars since 2012 had to have TPMS fitted”. I have the 981 Boxster Porsche sales booklet and price list for MY 2014 981 and it shows the TPM was an option for both basic and S Boxsters. It was order number 482 and cost £421. I didn’t fit it to mine.

Edited by Kevin G

6 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

@r1flyguy found a US site where they are a lot cheaper. I didn't order for a few reasons, I think sometimes price depends on whether valve is included or not, but mainly I'm irritated by trying to save a few quid and then they don't work so I have to send them back again, I don't have good prior experiences there.

You have a great memory I must say... 👍🏻

I used TPMS.com and paid $395 (US) for all 4 TPMS sensors for my ‘then’ 2008 997Turbo,

Delivery was quick and fitted when I had my wheels refurbed. 
Had no issues with them at all

Just checked the site & full set 4 new TMPS sensors for my current car is $140 (US$) 🤣👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
https://www.tpms.com/Porsche-911-Turbo-991-1-Huf-Intellisens-TPMS-Set-p/uvc0811set-porsche-911turbo991.htm

Edited by r1flyguy

With reference to when TPMS became mandatory - Quote from Tyresafe.org:

The process began with the introduction of legislation on 1 November 2012, whereby all new models of cars sold in the EU had to have a TPMS fitted. This was broadened out in November 2014 to include every new passenger vehicle being required to have a TPMS before being sold. In the UK on 1 January 2015, legislation came into force stating that for these vehicles, an inoperative or faulty TPMS sensor would result in an MOT failure.

Note the difference regarding all new models in Nov 2012 - the Boxster 981 version was introduced earlier in 2012. The Cayman 981 version was introduced in production form in 2013 - not  brand new models, but all new cars from November 2014 had to have some form  of TPMS fitted.

Edited by Ringer250

12 hours ago, Rob™ said:

A bill to look forward to in the not too distant future I guess... 

I knew about a set of tyres, 6 year service, aux belt and brake fluid this summer.  Just didn't expect to have to change the TPMS sensors, as had been led to believe you just replaced the batteries.

Just now, TrevTee said:

didn't expect to have to change the TPMS sensors, as had been led to believe you just replaced the batteries.

I think some can be changed, others are sealed. Guess what I have :( 

A bit green about these, i assume the tyres come off and the sensor/valve comes through the wheel , similar to when a new valve is fitted . Do they communicate to the car using blue tooth?. Never had them on a car before,  all this excitement having a box, not knowing what i am going to learn next.............

Have these on my (87.2, pain in the ar*e. Tyres needed changing and sensors were around 4 years old so changed them as a matter of course. They were around £140 a set which were found through fleebay, no issues in 3 years......yet. Make sure the tyre fitter is competent in fitting the tyres as they can be damaged easily.....ask me how I know.

On 4/21/2021 at 8:15 PM, TrevTee said:

I knew about a set of tyres, 6 year service, aux belt and brake fluid this summer.  Just didn't expect to have to change the TPMS sensors, as had been led to believe you just replaced the batteries.

Please update us if you do change your sensors, especially if you use any aftermarket option.

My car is a year older than yours (2015) I had my 6 year service back in Feb and no indication by the OPC of likely imminent TPMS issues.  As you say, there are plenty of 2012/2013 cars around and I’ve not seem much talk of these needing changing yet. So in your case if they do need changing that would seem a bit early to me.

28 minutes ago, Greenman said:

As you say, there are plenty of 2012/2013 cars around and I’ve not seem much talk of these needing changing yet.

My 2013 doesn't have them fitted. I think the regulation only came in from about 2015 for them to be mandatory on cars.

2 minutes ago, CMA said:

My 2013 doesn't have them fitted. I think the regulation only came in from about 2015 for them to be mandatory on cars.

Yep I’ve a 2013 MY that does not have TPMS. Had them on my BM Motorcycles for yrs and there really important IMHO on two wheels but on four. I’m not sure

1 hour ago, CMA said:

Right, maybe that explains it then.   

I guess as far as necessity it depends how conscientious you are checking your pressures, I wouldn’t want to go on a spirited drive without knowing my tyres were as expected. It does also give some indication of how warm the tyres are as you see the pressures increase a few psi with use.