How many bags of cement can you fit in a 986...?

SuperPaulie

Changing the subject slightly did you know that a new Mercedes E class convertible weighs up to 700kg more than a Boxster 2.5....so approximately 35 bags of cement!

I find this a staggering statistic....what on earth is it made of.

• Confused 1

probably not something i would really advise as the car felt pretty bogged down, but it shows that as a daily car you can still fill it with enough heavy duty stuff to be practicable.

No home delivery on cement? cheers HS2.

20 hours ago, jonogt6 said:

Changing the subject slightly did you know that a new Mercedes E class convertible weighs up to 700kg more than a Boxster 2.5....so approximately 35 bags of cement!

Porsche always knew the secret to making sports cars - make 'em light. Don't know why that eludes most of the others.

21 hours ago, jonogt6 said:

Barely relevant, it's a 4/5 seater which is brand new compared to a 2-seater which is 25 years old. It will have more insulation, more crash protection, more electric motors for the seats, etc etc. I bought my RAV4 2008 over a BMW X3 of the same year and same size diesel engine, and my RAV is 300kg lighter. That's a fair comparison.

On 5/20/2021 at 7:49 AM, EXY said:

:laugh:

mind you I remember the picture of the froot after the lid came off a big tin of paint, possibly @Patt ?

Good memory you have sir.

Big 5lt tub of paint:

35604646762_12dd871247_b.jpg

Resulted in me cutting out the carpet and replacing. Now all such tins are wedged behind passenger seat.

• Sad 1

I always remember that cautionary pic, every time I've gone to buy paint.

2 hours ago, JonSta said:

Porsche always knew the secret to making sports cars - make 'em light. Don't know why that eludes most of the others.

Wiki says the 992 is 1,480–1,710 kg. My RAV4 is 1600kg which includes 5 seats and a big boot.  Looks like beer and wurst is a bit more calorific than rice and sake...

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

Barely relevant, it's a 4/5 seater which is brand new compared to a 2-seater which is 25 years old. It will have more insulation, more crash protection, more electric motors for the seats, etc etc. I bought my RAV4 2008 over a BMW X3 of the same year and same size diesel engine, and my RAV is 300kg lighter. That's a fair comparison.

I was merely making an irrelevant observation on how cars have become heavier. 

I once had a job a long time ago delivering yellow pages. I remember folding the back seats down on my hot hatch which was already on cheapy coilovers at the time and loading them up. I can't remember how many I got in but the rear never did return to its original height 😂

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, the baron said:

I used to put a bag of cement in the boot on my 1973 911, it really even out the weight and made it handle much better

Have heard similar statements with handling improving with a full tank of fuel.

1 hour ago, Patt said:

Big 5lt tub of paint:

Resulted in me cutting out the carpet and replacing. Now all such tins are wedged behind passenger seat.

I still feel your pain :(

2 hours ago, Patt said:

Big 5lt tub of paint:

I really think I would have cried, I know it’s only carpet and can replaced but just devastating to open the boot and find that staring up at you when you could have prevented it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, the baron said:

I really think I would have cried, I know it’s only carpet and can replaced but just devastating to open the boot and find that staring up at you when you could have prevented it.

I imagine @Patt was very emulsional seeing that....

That was a bad pun sorry ... we can just gloss over it 

Edited by Andy Mac
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, myfirstboxster said:

We need to be primed for these bad puns

I think we should gloss over them. 

18 minutes ago, Rev Ken said:

My MX5 needed a large bag of potatoes in the boot to keep facing the right way, and essential to get any traction on slippery roads!

Reminds me of the Capri 2.8i's in the wet. Bag of sand in the boot for handling improvement.

48 minutes ago, Rev Ken said:

My MX5 needed a large bag of potatoes in the boot to keep facing the right way, and essential to get any traction on slippery roads!

When you sold it did you say "not perfect condition, some chips at the rear"?

• Haha 1

I find it odd when people discuss weights in cars and they think of suitcases but not human beings.

I had to go and get some sand and cement in my 5-seat family workhorse. My builder said "Are you sure? Maybe two trips?"  Had similar expressions of concern with other building materials (eg granite tiles etc).

It's common for a big guy to weigh 100kg without clothes etc, but I wouldn't question spring damage caused by five of them clothed in my car, plus a couple of suitcases at 20kg each. So for me I'd have no problem (carefully) loading and distributing 400kg in my family car. Yes of course I wouldn't chuck it round corners or go hard over speed bumps.

I think 200kg in a Boxster plus driver is stretching it a bit but it's your car (and you know if you personally weigh 65kg or 120!). 150 kg should be fine if sensibly distributed.