Want more performance? Drive a slow car.

box100

After 12 years of ownership of my 987 I’m pretty used to it - but still look forward to driving it. But recently we got my wife’s MG Midget back on the road (after being parked for over 20 years). It is so much fun and 60 feels a LOT faster. 
However, getting back in the Boxster literally feels like it is a rocket and I couldn’t possibly think of wanting anything faster.

I’d recommend this to anyone thinking of upgrading if you’d like to save the money 😅.

Not a 987 but a 986, but the ability to use most of the performance and have the car feel fast is one of the main reasons why I've never changed from a 986. As attainable as other faster cars are I don't think they would be that much more fun. I still always look at 987 Spyders as Exige V6 but still not convinced that the extra cash buys the Sam amount of enjoyment over a 986.

Indeed, for the last few years I've been looking to the classic car side. Other life priorities have stopped me pulling the trigger there too! 

Same principle as why we think Boxsters are faster than Audi diesels even though they aren’t. Open roof, lower to the ground, more noise, all give the impression of speed even if not the result. 
Another observation from a journalist was, the faster the car you drive round the twisties, the quicker you catch up with, and are blocked by, the slowcoach in front. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, edc said:

Not a 987 but a 986, but the ability to use most of the performance and have the car feel fast is one of the main reasons why I've never changed from a 986. As attainable as other faster cars are I don't think they would be that much more fun. I still always look at 987 Spyders as Exige V6 but still not convinced that the extra cash buys the Sam amount of enjoyment over a 986.

Indeed, for the last few years I've been looking to the classic car side. Other life priorities have stopped me pulling the trigger there too! 

Having just swapped from a 986 to a 987 I tend to agree, the new un is undoubtedly a better car but I don't expect to have more fun in it. I am also considering another classic if the cost of running the 987 in Ireland is not sustainable.

I was watching that how they build supercars thing about the latest 911 and they kept showing clips of a 60s 911 being hustled around some track - loads of body roll, losing the front, losing the back, getting it back on course, skinny tyres squealing and I thought 'that looks like fun'. We are spoiled these days. Then I watched the guy driving the new one. You've got no chance of getting anywhere near the limit in that on a public road. Probably most people couldn't drive it above 6/10s on the track.

is it me or does everyone want to race a boxster?

its great when you want to press on - i've come up behind all manner of things and seemingly the second they see a porsche in their rear view mirrors they boot it. one guy in a 520d estate shot off like a rocket, up to 80mph on country roads and i was like fair enough, and then another guy in a fiat 500 also shot off like a scalded rat. 

slightly more annoying are the van drivers who feel the need to try and keep up too. Never noticed this with other 2 seater convertibles i've owned... do people feel they have something to prove when they see a porsche, even a baby porsche?

I do feel a little wary when someone in a quick but less good handling car tries to keep up.  In my Impreza days (triumph of grip over suspension tech as they were described but mighty quick down back roads) I did see some prat in a hot hatch drop it seriously on to a grass verge, which was pretty wide fortunately for him, and re joint the road again whilst trying to follow me.  Never saw him again.  Unless you are just a straight line merchant over 200 PS/tonne or 200lbft/tonne is more than enough to get into too much trouble on UK roads even if you car's chassis and brakes are well sorted...

• Like 1

On 7/5/2021 at 8:55 AM, box100 said:

After 12 years of ownership of my 987 I’m pretty used to it - but still look forward to driving it. But recently we got my wife’s MG Midget back on the road (after being parked for over 20 years). It is so much fun and 60 feels a LOT faster. 
However, getting back in the Boxster literally feels like it is a rocket and I couldn’t possibly think of wanting anything faster.

I’d recommend this to anyone thinking of upgrading if you’d like to save the money 😅.

Lots to be said for having a Boxster as your second car to something mundane, every trip in the Boxster fells that bit more special after you get over the sensation the steering feels funny.

4 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

And the brakes need a good push.  

I've always heard this, both of the ones I've owned haven't needed pedal to the metal.

Current one would have me through the windscreen if I push too hard.

my 986 does have reassuringly weighty controls... clutch is fairly heavy, brakes need a good shove and steering power assistance is quite light. reminds me of an Nissan 350z i had that had very heavy steering, and a heavy clutch pedal. though it may also be in stark contrast to the car i had before which was a BMW Z4, which, in typical BMW fashion, had very light (electric) steering, a very light clutch and a well assisted brake pedal.

You certainly feel that you are very much part of the driving experience with a boxster!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iborguk said:

I've always heard this, both of the ones I've owned haven't needed pedal to the metal.

Current one would have me through the windscreen if I push too hard.

The often quoted revelation is that the brakes don't seem that powerful, on account they are not over-servoed like some other marques.

A bit like the Ackerman effect often catches the uneducated out.

BTW if you ever find the break ( ;) ) pedal to the metal something has definitely broken :laugh:

Just now, iborguk said:

More figurative than literal , although your point is well made.🙃

Of course, but let's be honest it wouldn't be the first time the brake pedal has went to the floor, closely followed by your bowels, maybe that's just me :unsure:

You will appreciate this oldie but goldie;

Now THAT is a driver, last minute brake failure AND he has the time to think it all through even down to putting his hand on the handbrake,,,etc.:worship:

Rented a Transit to clean out my student digs. Drove various heavy loads to various locations an hour or two apart. Started at 9am, finished at 2am. Got back in my Impreza turbo and nearly wrecked it at the first roundabout....

On 7/5/2021 at 8:55 AM, box100 said:

8 hours ago, BOB.T said:

I drive a van for work some getting in the car is fun every time! :D

I concur with this phenomenon, well more so the comparison to a van!

My V60 has 50% more weight than the Boxster but less than 50% of the power (yes, 120bhp in a Volvo estate 😂) so a huge difference in the power to weight ratio