18 year old tyres on a 2009 car!

fewtrees

So it looks like (according to the last 4 digits of the DOT number) my Pirelli Zero Asimetrico tyres are marked '3503' - which means they are 18 years old! They have 4mm of tread left on them so I'm thinking..... How the hell could that happen?

My next question is I have Hankook V12 Ventus Evo 2's on the front and are they any good the Boxster? I can't see the date right now as it's on the inside of the tyre and it's raining + dark..

Just wondering if the best thing to do is replace them all and eBay the Hankooks or buy Hankooks for the rear?

Whadya think?

Edited by fewtrees
I can't write

Surely a misprint and it is 3508? I don't see how you can have 4mm on the rear, rears don't last so long.  Unless the previous owner found a bargain off ebay before selling to you.

I think Hankooks are OK for grip etc but not long life.

Michelins are the apex tyre, I went for Goodyears as they are good enough for me and notably cheaper. Pirellis have had rather mixed reviews here over the years, with a bias towards disappointing I think.

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

Surely a misprint and it is 3508? I don't see how you can have 4mm on the rear, rears don't last so long.  Unless the previous owner found a bargain off ebay before selling to you.

I think Hankooks are OK for grip etc but not long life.

Michelins are the apex tyre, I went for Goodyears as they are good enough for me and notably cheaper. Pirellis have had rather mixed reviews here over the years, with a bias towards disappointing I think.

I wish it was a mistake - I struggled to believe it myself and can only assume it was a "find" in the back of a warehouse!

The choice of tyres seems very low and limited to:

Bridgestone Potenza RE050A - OEM
Bridgestone Potenza Sport
Michelin Pilot Sport 4
Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Nankang AS-1
Toyo Proxes Sport
Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 3
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2
Yokohama Advan Sport
Yokohama Advan Neova

Have I missed any?

Screenshot 2021-10-28 at 20.26.25.jpg

as always. Just opinions. 

Replace them all, get yourself to a known good baseline   

And gut reaction is “if the date is on the inside then they are directional and fitted the wrong way round” 

Your call on if that’s (guessing) 500 quid or a grand.  Pick a budget and go for whatever fits your spend vs reviews vs experience.  A new set of ok tyres has to be better than where you are now. 

if you can make something back on the others then good luck - not sure what they would sell for or who would buy them

personally I always hope that the last thought that goes through my mind is not “I am so glad I got these tyres for 50 quid” and I always try to push the budget a bit on whatever car to get a better performing tyre.  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Continental? SportContact were mentioned here often,  less recently.  Otherwise yes they look like the usual suspects. 

Not sure you can get those in both 235/40/18 & 265/40/18, perhaps 19" is an easier fitment?

12 hours ago, Paul P said:

if you can make something back on the others then good luck - not sure what they would sell for or who would buy them

I offered 4 part-worn tyres on here for not a lot (forgotten how much) and as hoped/expected someone took them to grind out their last mm on a track somewhere. Though I think they were a set of 4, not sure if there would be such effort for a pair.  Could even offer them free to collector.

Don't ask, don't get.

24 minutes ago, mike597 said:

people sell things for 99p on ebay all the time, suppose it's not up to you to value other people's time?

As long as he's got a lot of time on his hands and enjoys working for 20p an hour, it's a great idea.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, fewtrees said:

Whadya think?

What do I think, I think I finally get to hand over the award for having the worst tyres on a Boxster. 

Unfortunately I can't tell you what I replaced them with as while I was dithering about it I spun of the road and wrote it off. 

However if I was pushed on my choice it would have been Michelin Pilot Sport 4. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I fitted Avon ZV7's on the front of my 987.2, although they were 235/35/19 size. They were A rated for wet weather grip and were a lot quieter than the old rubber. Always had a good experience with Avon tyres over the years and they seemed to work well on the Boxster for me - although i only did general road use, no track use

Ebay/Part worns are great if you need some tread on the tyres before selling a car or returning a lease ;)

Edited by Mattman42

5 hours ago, Darkstar said:

What do I think, I think I finally get to hand over the award for having the worst tyres on a Boxster. 

Unfortunately I can't tell you what I replaced them with as while I was dithering about it I spun of the road and wrote it off. 

However if I was pushed on my choice it would have been Michelin Pilot Sport 4. 

I've ordered 4 x Michelins PS4 - I'll hang onto the Hankook's and try and flog them, they're brand new and could be exactly what someone else wants i.e different car 😉

Once upon a time I wanted to replace the front tyres on our Kia Sportage so sourced a single replacement to match the brand new IIRC 3-4 year old spare.

Luckily I was present when the replacement arrived and noticed it was grey, once checked it transpired it was actually 8 years old, again IIRC. 

Weirdly enough the tyre fitter was livid and after a rummage the supplier turned out a 3 year old tyre.

My choice would be the Michelin PS4's and would NEVER  buy Hankook's again.

5 hours ago, fewtrees said:

I've ordered 4 x Michelins PS4 - I'll hang onto the Hankook's and try and flog them, they're brand new and could be exactly what someone else wants i.e different car 😉

Good man and now I can say with your new tyres fitted the fewer trees you hit the better.