Techie help needed please...

Rav

1 hour ago, Rav said:

As some of you above have said - this is the likely culprit. Now where to get one that wont cost me £500!!

I took a chance of a £30 second hand original MAF, still going strong 18 months later.  You can get them from breakers for about this money.

Edited by ½cwt

MAF was changed for a Bremi, still german, one not long before you got her - not saying that isn't the problem mind.

Early S's have a different MAF - see 106-00 below, pretty sure its 996 606 124 00 (item 7 - see vin numbers).

106-00-PET-986.jpg

later MAf's can be fitted but the tech guidance says the car has to be 'coded', the reason for the change was that early 'bosch' ones got 'clogged up' (which was one reason i tried the Bremi one, the other being about £90 instead of about £130 at the time)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks all.

The car is booked in with Lee and the gang at Cotswold tomorrow. However, I used the car to drop my youngest off at college and the car stalled 23 times in 3 miles. The car was hunting around at idle.

I hope i can make it to Lee tomorrow.!!

• Sad 1

I got the car there this morning after leaving at 06:30 to avoid rush hour traffic. A couple of brown trouser moments, where she hesitated in traffic, but i nursed her along the least busy roads all the way to Lee.

A couple of hours to investigate, he found error P0102 - Hot film MAF sensor. The MAF itself is not the original Bosch part and a Bremi (as the previous owner stated) and Lee's boys stated that Bremi is not their preferred brand. The checked the Bremi part and found it working fine. On visual inspection inside the engine bay they found intake hose after MAF loose clip corroded. This was replaced and I was off home.

The car performed perfectly all the way home - not a single hesitation and perfect idle in traffic. @CAZ - Lee and Lyndsay say hi and @the baron Lee says he looks forward to seeing you later. 

I am using viola over the next couple of weeks - Look at the state of her:

C0oAwMj.jpg

juXeeli.jpg

mKJ3ySd.jpg

It0VOw0.jpg

• Like 1

Hopefully all good, love simple fixes but you have to know what your doing🤔

Indeed my car is booked in to a have a new Dansk exhaust fitted to the 996 looking forward to my hears NoT bleeding.

Your Boxster looks like it should, awesome 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rav said:

I got the car there this morning after leaving at 06:30 to avoid rush hour traffic. A couple of brown trouser moments, where she hesitated in traffic, but i nursed her along the least busy roads all the way to Lee.

A couple of hours to investigate, he found error P0102 - Hot film MAF sensor. The MAF itself is not the original Bosch part and a Bremi (as the previous owner stated) and Lee's boys stated that Bremi is not their preferred brand. The checked the Bremi part and found it working fine. On visual inspection inside the engine bay they found intake hose after MAF loose clip corroded. This was replaced and I was off home.

The car performed perfectly all the way home - not a single hesitation and perfect idle in traffic. @CAZ - Lee and Lyndsay say hi and @the baron Lee says he looks forward to seeing you later. 

C0oAwMj.jpg

juXeeli.jpg

mKJ3ySd.jpg

It0VOw0.jpg

Glad it was an easy(ish) fix and your Boxster looks appropriately dirty, they are meant to be used 👍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rav said:

C0oAwMj.jpg

juXeeli.jpg

mKJ3ySd.jpg

It0VOw0.jpg

Used and abused 👍🤣 - glad she’s all sorted 😊

• Like 1

I spoke too soon. Started her this morning after a well deserved snow foam, clean and wax and the same hesitation and stalling.....

New MAF ordered.

• Sad 1

BBB is right - its a gopro mount. I am the COO for a small start-up company making software for Autonomous vehicles. I drive around collecting data on my gopro of scenarios happening on roads and then replay them on our software to see how an autonomous vehicle would have handled the situation.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Rav said:

BBB is right - its a gopro mount. I am the COO for a small start-up company making software for Autonomous vehicles. I drive around collecting data on my gopro of scenarios happening on roads and then replay them on our software to see how an autonomous vehicle would have handled the situation.

Good to see that input from a Boxster will ensure autonomous cars will be excellent at handling high speed corners :)

21 hours ago, Rav said:

I spoke too soon. Started her this morning after a well deserved snow foam, clean and wax and the same hesitation and stalling.....

New MAF ordered.

Apologies if this has already been suggested (and/or Cotswold Porsche have already checked) but have you given your coilpacks a look over? Mine did exactly what you describe when the coil packs were going. The cracks were tiny (only visible with the coil pack removed) but when they got wet they would cause a hesitation and stalling.

Thanks @Lennym1984- Lee suggested the next thing was the MAF. I did think that it could be the coil packs, but these are quite costly to replace. I hope the MAF cures things but if not, i will be visiting the coil packs and spark plugs next.

23 minutes ago, Rav said:

Thanks @Lennym1984- Lee suggested the next thing was the MAF. I did think that it could be the coil packs, but these are quite costly to replace. I hope the MAF cures things but if not, i will be visiting the coil packs and spark plugs next.

Some have had success "painting" the cracks with epoxy. It could be a cheap way to see if it solves the problem. 

The cracks expand with heat and then suck moisture in

On 12/17/2021 at 4:07 PM, Rav said:

Oh, now that sounds like a very interesting enterprise! Best of luck with that - good timing!

If you don't mind sharing the name of your firm I'd love to look it up...

• 2 weeks later...

New MAF arrived over the festive season from Design 911 (A good fast service actually). I opted for the Bosch component approx. £180. 

Fitted this late last night after being dragged around Oxford Westgate, sale shopping. I didn't realise that sale shopping means going out with no idea at all what you want and then just wandering around every shop until something takes your fancy....When something does catch your eye, you must touch it and then say "Its not quite what i am looking for".....

Any ways, when i got back home, I decided to do smoothing productive to avoid a wasted day.

I used the 101 projects for your Boxster book as a reference.

Engine exposed.

7dX4fPQ.jpg 

MAF located 

UF9SsLd.jpg

Removed old MAF - Thanks to @archemistfor letting me know this was a Bremi. 

VIERQ5O.jpg

7OP0Soi.jpg

And the bog whole that it left once removed here:

gtO4qEu.jpg

New MAF (Bosch) fitted and the car put back together - it fired up and was steadier on idle. 

I took the car to collect some parts for my daughters and wife's car this morning and it did not miss a beat. I will keep you updated, but fingers crossed this is the end of the MAF woes.

• Like 3