Osram Night Breakers

RedBarediver

On 12/20/2021 at 6:24 PM, JonSta said:

This. They're better but they're not night and day. Geddit? Night and day? Ebay LEDs with knock your socks off in comparison. In fact I must get around doing them.

Illegal in the UK unless originally fitted with automatic levelling and washers.

48 minutes ago, JonSta said:

Yet I've had them 3 years, passed every MOT and somehow I'm not in prison. And I never get flashed by oncoming cars even when driving in Europe. 

Speeding is illegal but I bet you get away with it most of the time too and haven't gone to prison for it 😜

• Haha 1

On 12/31/2021 at 7:46 PM, K.I.T.T. said:

Incorrect.

"Existing halogen headlamp units on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp for light source and lamp not compatible.

This does not refer to complete replacement headlamp units which may be constructed with HID or LED light sources.

If a complete headlamp unit has been replaced with a unit that was manufactured with HID or LED light sources, it must not be failed for ‘Light source and lamp not compatible’ but it must meet all other requirements detailed in section 4 of this manual specific to the type fitted at the time of test."

DVSA MOT manual updated 14th October 2021.

I guess we are both 'right and wrong'*. (But they still dazzle!)

* I admit that C&U regs have moved on since they mandated self levelling and washers and that I am 'out of date'! (Like the rest of me....) 

47 minutes ago, Rev Ken said:

but it must meet all other requirements detailed in section 4 of this manual specific to the type fitted at the time of test

What does "section 4" say regarding what a retro fit should have ?

1 hour ago, Rev Ken said:

"Existing halogen headlamp units on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp for light source and lamp not compatible.

This does not refer to complete replacement headlamp units which may be constructed with HID or LED light sources.

If a complete headlamp unit has been replaced with a unit that was manufactured with HID or LED light sources, it must not be failed for ‘Light source and lamp not compatible’ but it must meet all other requirements detailed in section 4 of this manual specific to the type fitted at the time of test."

DVSA MOT manual updated 14th October 2021.

I guess we are both 'right and wrong'*. (But they still dazzle!)

* I admit that C&U regs have moved on since they mandated self levelling and washers and that I am 'out of date'! (Like the rest of me....) 

Yes, but I don't see how that's relevant to your previous post.

You said:

On 12/30/2021 at 10:13 PM, Rev Ken said:

Illegal in the UK unless originally fitted with automatic levelling and washers.

Automatic levelling and washers are not required. [b]If[/b] they are fitted, they need to work (post 2009).

To reiterate what's been discussed in page 2 at length, if the LEDs are of a low enough colour temp, and are of decent quality such that the beam pattern is fine with your reflector headlights aligned they'll probably pass an MOT.

In the case of projector healights for 987 onwards, do whatever you want (LEDs / HIDs) as long as they're aligned.

It's "legal" in that it will get through an MOT, even though it may not be 100% legal in the letter of the law (unless your car is registered before 1 April 1986).

4 minutes ago, K.I.T.T. said:

Thanks for the link.....

I read that as "if it has levellers they should work" and "if it has washers they should work" - and also, if it has "HID" then it should be marked appropriately - so purely from my interest and reading - then if it's not originally HID and they spot it they might fail it - but it the headlights are replaced with "HID" versions then they don't need levellers or washers to pass.

I also note my Audi with the manual headlight adjustment that stopped working on one side, should have failed the 6 mot's it went through after I manually adjusted it to be "level" ........

Minefield

8 minutes ago, Paul P said:

I read that as "if it has levellers they should work" and "if it has washers they should work" - and also, if it has "HID" then it should be marked appropriately - so purely from my interest and reading - then if it's not originally HID and they spot it they might fail it - but it the headlights are replaced with "HID" versions then they don't need levellers or washers to pass.

You've hit the nail on the head.

Surely though the following should apply. If you have an accident you have

No insurance cover for bald tyres

No insurance cover for no MOT

No insurance cover for modifying your cars engine without notification.

An observant assessor may just spot bulbs if it’s not a head on smash

If you have a prang and have bald tyres, no MOT, or undeclared engine mods well, sucks to be you :laugh:

Nobody's suggesting to hide lighting upgrades (or any other mods) from your insurance company.

On 1/3/2022 at 7:33 PM, K.I.T.T. said:

You've hit the nail on the head.

I THOUGHT I had admitted that I was out of date reference self levelling and washers, but I hope you read the bit I posted! that is if someone just replaces a halogen bulb with an HID bulb or an LED it is a fail, even if it meets the beam pattern. However if the whole unit is replaced with an HID unit it must be passed, (assuming it has a correct beam pattern.) See the first para of my posting of the MOT manual - which is up to date as of October 2021.

Think we are all agreeing to be honest.  

personally I don’t rate the perceptive powers of an mot tester very highly.  Plenty of occurrences of same car same tester same “issue” being an advisory one year and never mentioned again.  

another lifetime ago a mate had a decent motorbike and a shagged one same model.  We took them for an mot back to back.  Decent one passed, cr*p one failed.  Tester said “I am going to lunch.  You can borrow my tools if you want to swap the wheels and the headlight and the exhaust over for the retest” - at that point I figured mot is Tick box for anyone who actually takes any pride or care in their vehicles   

nobody disagrees that better lights are better it’s just the pedantic cr*p that crosses mot and insurance where it clouds and judging by the wreckage up the bank at the end of the local bypass every corsa and Saxo has “competition use only “ everything bolted to it.  I doubt the ins co have binned all those claims.  Mostly they never see a car - just get a pet bodywork co to say “that will be 5 grand mate” and they say “write off here’s a tenner”