Coolant cap 'pop' + white smoke...

Medic-one

Topped up my coolant about 2 weeks ago as it seemed a bit low, checked it the next day and it was above the max so took a little bit out (just drawn up with a 20 ml syringe) as I overfilled it and haven't really driven it much since then. 

Drove it to work (10 min journey) yesterday with no problems, but after just driving back from work I had parked on my drive, switched the engine off, and just after getting out there was a 'POP' sound, and some white smoke came from that side vent area for a few seconds.

Left it for a few minutes and checked the trunk, and noticed the coolant cap wasn't on probably (i could wiggle it from left to right a little bit) so I wonder if I hadn't closed it properly after topping up last time and that caused the pressure to make it do that ?

20220406-181753.jpg 

20220406-181820.jpg 

20220406-183552.jpg 

I can't see anything dripping on the driveway and the coolant level is still sitting just below max now and hasn't dropped (started the engine for a few seconds). 

Can a lose coolant cap cause all this ? It's a new coolant cap that I bought last year after reading about them on here, so I was hoping it was just me not closing it properly that was the problem...

Am I right in saying if there was a leak the reservoir would be low(er) now ?

Most likely the cap was not on correctly after you topped up and the heat soak after you turned off the engine raised the pressure enough to pop it off allowing a bit of coolant to escape causing the vapour. I’d pop it back on and see how it goes.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

Most likely the cap was not on correctly after you topped up and the heat soak after you turned off the engine raised the pressure enough to pop it off allowing a bit of coolant to escape causing the vapour. I’d pop it back on and see how it goes.

👍What my learned colleague says

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

this ^^

56 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

I think the 04 advice is correct for the 986 but not sure about the 987. You can see his blue cap in the top pics, no part number visible. 

Yes that’s right , for a 987.1/987.2 the cap part number is 98710604400.

Edited by iborguk

If your cap was untouched from when you last tightened it, I don't think it is on properly. In true Porsche style, when properly located, mine always had all the symbols positioned completely upright, not turned 20 degrees anti-clockwise like yours.  

53 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

OMG, they were bad enough when looking at the wheel shields pointing at the valves. If I now have to check my coolant cap orientation, all hope is lost...

Apparently though there is a good reason for this on, not just pickiness.

On 4/6/2022 at 8:28 PM, Nobbie said:

It seems to be fine. Took it for a little spin the next day and for a longer drive today and coolant level has remained the same and no more smoke or anything from that side vent, so hopefully it was just not on properly.  

There is a bit of a coolant smell for that side but I guess if some coolant has spilled when this happened that's normal. Will keep a close eye on it though.

19 hours ago, Angus76 said:

Make sure you have the updated cap fitted. Ends in code 04 if I remember correctly. I fitted an updated one to mine. Screw them on tight. 

7 hours ago, iborguk said:

Yes that’s right , for a 987.1/987.2 the cap part number is 98710604400.

4 hours ago, Angus76 said:

I bought that one from the link above last year, which turned out to be the wrong one

20210702-160540.jpg 
Current one on the left, that one from the link on the right.

I send it back and bought the one that Iborguk mentions above, and that's the one I've got one at the moment.

4 hours ago, BrianJ said:

If your cap was untouched from when you last tightened it, I don't think it is on properly. In true Porsche style, when properly located, mine always had all the symbols positioned completely upright, not turned 20 degrees anti-clockwise like yours.  

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Apparently though there is a good reason for this on, not just pickiness.

Good to know! Will make sure it's the right way up from now on, and closed properly!

On 4/9/2022 at 5:43 PM, Medic-one said:

I bought that one from the link above last year, which turned out to be the wrong one

20210702-160540.jpg 

I send it back and bought the one that Iborguk mentions above, and that's the one I've got one at the moment.

As per @And.rs1800 the one on the right is the expansion tank cap, different thing...

Edited by iborguk

On 4/9/2022 at 5:43 PM, Medic-one said:

20210702-160540.jpg 

The one on the right is the pressure cap for the header tank,not the filler cap-unless I’ve missed something?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, And.rs1800 said:

The one on the right is the pressure cap for the header tank,not the filler cap-unless I’ve missed something?

You're not wrong, 99610644704 (the one on the right) is listed for 987.2 as a cap for the expansion tank.

• 4 weeks later...

Just head another read through this thread.  Are people saying that smaller cap (the one of the right, in my picture above) is for the expansion tank in the engine bay?

Might have a look tomorrow to see what's mine like. 

I've seen a Youtube video on how to get the car into service mode and have a look at the actual engine but have never done it.  Any tips or things I should be mindful about when doing that, or is it pretty straight forward ?

Also, will I be able to see the coolant hoses or are they underneath the engine ?

Edited by Medic-one

2 hours ago, Medic-one said:

Just head another read through this thread.  Are people saying that smaller cap (the one of the right, in my picture above) is for the expansion tank in the engine bay?

Might have a look tomorrow to see what's mine like. 

I've seen a Youtube video on how to get the car into service mode and have a look at the actual engine but have never done it.  Any tips or things I should be mindful about when doing that, or is it pretty straight forward ?

Also, will I be able to see the coolant hoses or are they underneath the engine ?

The one on the right is definitely on the expansion tank on my cayman s-(under the engine cover)

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, And.rs1800 said:

The one on the right is definitely on the expansion tank on my cayman s-(under the engine cover)

Cheers, I'll check mine tomorrow to see what it's like and if it needs replacing then. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 2:30 PM, Paul P said:

Mine is horizontal when fitted properly.  It can be 180 out and be horizontal but lettering upside down.  

it bothers me when it’s 180 out 

Me too, mine is horizontal...it has to be.