Hood cleaning advice please

Robster66

Advice please 

My hood is best described as in need of TLC as it lives outside

I’ve used autoglym on it but it needs more

Any suggestions for other products or should I leave it to a detailer?

Also the OPC is quoting £90 for clean and protect Any experiences?

Milton fluid for anything “green”. Otherwise there’s a lot of following for renovo and fabsil for those who want beading. 

That said £90 for someone else to sort it sounds ok to me. 

1 hour ago, TROOPER88 said:

£90 for an OPC to sort??

That sounds like an absolute bargain, which OPC? I will start sending all my work there 

Perhaps if they use this:

White Edition shampoo and convertible top cleaner | PORSCHE SHOP

and half an hour labour in the valeting bay, which is not charged at full workshop rates may be?

BTW I've no idea how good this shampoo is but they clearly claim it is suitable for bodywork and hood so obviously not a wash & wax product, but also not a roof proofing product either.

22 minutes ago, Robster66 said:

Roof pic

Thanks for the replies

Heres a pic and this is after Autoglym clean and scrub this morning 

As previously said well diluted Milton is  good for getting it clean.Then a couple of coats of the fabsil (not fabsil gold) will make it look much better and provide protection from the sun.Needs doing a couple of times a year though.A more permanent fix would be to get a permanent dye.. That's the next route for me, mines blue however. 

8 minutes ago, SpeedyGee said:

If you've got a steam cleaner, that will have help pull out the dirt and muck that's deep down. 

Use the steam cleaner to loosen up all the muck and then use the Autoglym stuff straight after.

Interesting, never considered that approach on a ragtop before.

Someone else's experience re that on a Merc https://allthatgleams.co.uk/soft-top-cleaning/steam-cleaning-mercedes-e320-cabriolet-roof/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iborguk said:

Thanks for this but I've been down the restorer route already although not this brand.What I'd really like is the correct blue..Dark blue it is not.

Even if I could find the correct blue dye however I'm not sure it would work.I'm sure like most my top has the dreaded fade where it is supported.

Thanks again though.

On 6/5/2022 at 3:21 PM, Robster66 said:

Had another go with the autoglym and  a meguiars brush

Its a bit better but needs more… not used the protector

Will call my local OPC - Wolves and check what’s involved 

I had a similar dirty roof on an older mini - I used demon clean and the coarse sponge from the Autoglym cleaning kit to give it a good deep scrub, that got a lot of the dirt out and the I used the Autoglym cleaner and sealer afterwards.

I find the Demon Clean APC a good all rounder and good at shifting deep dirt. Takes a bit of elbow grease, but worth the effort. But it does need to be finished off with the rain proofing solution after

before

iGrTUqN.jpg

during

rzgznoo.jpg

after

kkEzBVd.jpg

it wasn’t 100% perfect and could have benefited from another scrub, but I sold it before I had the time to do it again 😁

Edited by Mattman42
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2022 at 9:27 AM, MickH said:

Someone on here recommended the protex kit. Id highly recommend it too after using it. Just make sure you get the right colour

I just used the Protex kit on the Alfa. I have previously used the Autoglym kit but found it never really got rid of the green, the sponge was not really that great.

The Protex kit came with a proper Iron shaped scrubbing brush which worked well. I also liked that the cleaner and the waterproofer were both brush on products rather than spray (like the Autoglym one) as the spray is not great with any wind or avoiding over spray etc. It came with the 2 paint brushes required as well, was about £24 all in and the roof has come up brilliantly without a hint of green left anywhere.

Highly recommend Protex

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Evening all

An update - went to our local detailer He had the car for 2 days and the result is really impressive Will post photo soon

It took at least 3 deep cleans with steam too so definitely a job for a pro and all for £70

Its unproofed but that’s something I can do before autumn hits