Caution! Drains blocked!

Happy Days

I jumped in the car yesterday to go home from work. Sunny evening, so I dropped the roof. Pulling on the seat belt revealed a sorry omen - it was soaking wet and stinking. We have had a lot of rain over the past few weeks (despite most of the UK having a heatwave - we have had a miserable summer) so I feared the dreaded blocked drain plugs.

Back home, placed the roof in the appropriate position (with the flaps on the point of closing) and I could see that the drain tube on the driver's side was blocked as the hole was completely full of water.

https://imgur.com/a/FSmdgoS

Tried to unblock with a bit of wire, but no use. I resorted to the power hose, but couldn't get it unblocked.

Quick trip to the local friendly garage who blew the pipe free using a long attachment to their air line. It drained instantly. No charge!

Back home, and the problem was worse than expected. I removed the sound deadening / carpet at the rear inspection hatch and it was wet at the bottom. The floor carpet was saturated on the driver's side, but dry on the passenger side. Having resorted to YouTube I recalled some information form this guy https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHRIX2XMpvX5iwMfgsJJhYQ

who does lots of stuff on 981s (which are very similar) I began stripping the trim out to get access to the carpets. However, after soaking up the water with seven bath sized towels, I realised that the carpet would be better off coming out completely. I disconnected the battery, removed the seat, seat belt lower anchor, console trim and all associated trims to allow access to the carpet. Pedals and clutch foot rest came out easily and thereafter the carpet was removed. It's quite heavy and was still full of water.

Into the greenhouse to be hung up (best place to dry it out, I think), back in with the seat and pedals, connect up the battery and check all was well.

Now just a wait until all is dry before reinstalling.

My next plan is to remove the lower sill panel to get good access to the lower points of the drain pipes and either clean them or remove the one way valves completely.

Check your drain holes regularly!

Edited by Happy Days
photo not showing

All this post does is make me realise how fortunate I am to have swapped my Boxster for a Cayman... :lol:

But well done on sorting it out mate, and thankfully no harm done to the electrics under the seat :thumbsup_still:

• Like 1

Hindsight and not really very helpful but goes to show whether 1 week or 25 years old it still applies:

Boxster Ownership

1.01 Drain check all drains. (All models 986, 987, 981, 718, ....)

The other part of my compressor based solution.

Air Blow Gun, Extensible Nozzle Duster Blow Gun Cleaner 285 mm - 500 mm with 1 Blow Nozzle Dust Cleaning Air Compressor Accessory Tools, 4 PCS Sealing Rubber Ring https://amzn.eu/4w18NFN

Note I needed a coupler converter to make this fit the Stanley compressor airline.

Edited by iborguk

21 hours ago, Scubaregs said:

If only there had been a "How to" for checking the drains........

Funnily enough, I check them every 6 months or so, by pouring in a half litre of water or so and checking that it drains out. Usually does, and I'm next due to check in October (the timing coincides with mine and wife's birthdays which are 6 months apart!). Just goes to show.

Checking the carpets in the greenhouse each day -  they hold a LOT of water. Still drip drying and get a squeeze on the bottom every morning and evening.

Took the side covers off earlier and removed the ends of the drain plugs. The lower one was clear-ish (having been blown out) but the upper one was clogged. Poured in some water and it came out of the lower drain, so not sure what the upper vent does, but it was blocked on mine. I took the opportunity to remove the rubber 'flaps' at the lower end of the drains and reinstalled them.

Peace of mind at last! It's not really a difficult job apart from getting the torx screw out of the front sill - had to make a tool up to unscrew it, but got there in the end.

Everything reinstalled yesterday and all good in the hood. I asked this guy to do a how to on his 'spare' 981 and he did. Best description of how the drains actually work on a 981 / 718 that I have seen. How how to series is invaluable. Only some minor differences in the 981 and 718.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 2:34 PM, Davey P said:

All this post does is make me realise how fortunate I am to have swapped my Boxster for a Cayman... :lol:

But well done on sorting it out mate, and thankfully no harm done to the electrics under the seat :thumbsup_still:

And where do you think the gutter around your rear hatch drains to ?

On 8/3/2022 at 2:34 PM, Davey P said:

Haha! It was a consideration when I was choosing and I ended up with a cayman. Clearly regular checks is the answer.

25 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Er... into the mains sewage system...? :lol:

Don't be too cocky, I had a B5 Passat estate once that had blocked front scuttle drains and let water in through the front bulkhead a few days after I bought it.  It was then that I realised the problem and significance of drains on cars, whether fixed or soft top.

2 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Don't be too cocky, I had a B5 Passat estate once that had blocked front scuttle drains and let water in through the front bulkhead a few days after I bought it.  It was then that I realised the problem and significance of drains on cars, whether fixed or soft top.

Years ago I worked for a VW dealer. Passats were regularly coming in for warranty repairs due to leaks. The air filter housing was of poor design and let water into the cabins causing havoc with the electronic controle modules under the carpets. I could never figure out why any manufacturer would house such an expensive module at the lowest point of the car where it would be destroyed by standing water.

Things haven't changed much in 25 years...

Hence my paranoia with blocked drains. Check every 6 months by running water through and checking it comes out underneath. But they still got blocked up and hence the above tale. Actually wasn't that hard a job after following Jeff's series of videos.

18 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

I didn't mean to come across as cocky, so I'll apologise if that's how it sounded.  I've looked at the Cayman Owner's Guide, and also on YouTube, but I can't find any reference to drains anywhere, so I assumed it was not applicable to the Cayman.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Davey P said:

I didn't mean to come across as cocky, so I'll apologise if that's how it sounded.  I've looked at the Cayman Owner's Guide, and also on YouTube, but I can't find any reference to drains anywhere, so I assumed it was not applicable to the Cayman.

You didn't.

There was nothing in either the 987 or the 718 Boxster manuals about checking drains either and if I wasn't informed by being on this forum I might never be the wiser until copping a ££££ bill.

Edited by iborguk

11 minutes ago, Davey P said:

I was teasing too...!  You will have scuttle drains (poor some water so it runs off the bottom of the screen and you should see it run out on the ground inboard and behind the front wheel) and possibly drains from around the rear hatch, unless that just spills from the bottom edge of the opening.

10 minutes ago, iborguk said:

All this talk of drains and ironically I had to put the "roof up" earlier as I was "too hot". Oh the shame....I'll hand over my convertible licence.

I refer you to 'Stoopid question'  in The Lounge!

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Davey P said:

I could be talking out of my exhaust but I thought the Cayman only had drain holes by/underneath the car battery area ?

Edited by iborguk
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

My first Porsche was a 924 (stop sniggering at the back there).  The drains in the scuttle used to get blocked with leaves and rainwater would accumulate.  When you went round a corner fast the water would slop into the heater intake.  The result was a cloud of steam that completely obscured the windscreen and a few pints of cold water on your feet and ankles.  It took some presence of mind to avoid crashing.

• Haha 1

Parents just sold their Kangoo which was Megane based. Apparently if you let the Megane drains under the wipers get blocked, you’d eventually need a new wiper motor. Which required the entire dash to be removed, and the labour for that wasn’t cheap.