Battery showing 11.9 volts at rest

andygo

Just now, andygo said:

I understand the warranty stance- frustrating as it it.

I have written a detailed email to the sales guy at the supplying dealer who I hope will get in the case. He seemed to be a really nice, straightforward guy, landed by some  off chance on the planet Porsche from the planet Normal. He was a friendly, normal bloke, really good to deal with!

Going back to that 111 point check, the tracking was way out apparently and I had to add 800 ml of oil to get it up to the required level. Remember 800ml is nearly 2 pints- that would make a big stain on your carpet, so not insignificant..

I suppose you could say garages are like rally drivers- always looking to cut corners!😎

Ok well given the other things personally I’d invoke “dear dealer principal” but it’s not my car/rules. I hope they sort it with min agg for you.

Just now, iborguk said:

Ok well given the other things personally I’d invoke “dear dealer principal” but it’s not my car/rules. I hope they sort it with min agg for you.

I’m not at dear principal stage yet- nearly but not quite.. at the end of the day it’s a battery, the car starts at the mo- just want to get it sorted. 

As far as I can tell, the car is pretty much perfect, just been mollycoddled by Miss Daisies chauffeur. It is winding me up though as rectification is out of my control- I hate asking for stuff twice!

6 minutes ago, andygo said:

I’m not at dear principal stage yet- nearly but not quite.. at the end of the day it’s a battery, the car starts at the mo- just want to get it sorted. 

As far as I can tell, the car is pretty much perfect, just been mollycoddled by Miss Daisies chauffeur. It is winding me up though as rectification is out of my control- I hate asking for stuff twice!

For me this kind of thing is about their approach and attention to detail , the dealer principal can’t fix in their team what they don’t know about (and some won’t even if they do, people are all different after all.)

I bought an OPC car which two weeks into ownership misfired due to the 5 cracked coil packs, “how did they miss that?” you may ask. Good question , I’ll never know. So I politely escalated it until I got what I needed. 

No wrong answers here re approach and like I said hope they sort it.

Edited by iborguk

I’m a bit fussy maybe, but my approach generally is: I’ve given you circa 50,000 British pounds. They all work perfectly- no need to bring a few back to me because some of those pounds are only worth 25p. Why doesn’t the item you gave me in return work as described and  warranted?

back in 2004,I bought a new Honda Civic type R. Had a problem with the wheel off centre from day 1. Took It back, the garage revtified it. All good, but 2 days later it was off centre the other way. Got it sorted. After to img and firing several more times including back to the Honda factory in Swindon it still varied day by day. Eventually I was given a new car.

day 2 of ownership it rained, resulting in literally an inch of water on the drivers footwell. Took

it back and they swapped the windscreen. Next time it rained, drivers footwell swimming in water. Took it back and was told they would remove bonnet, wings, sills etc to try and fix. Car had 40 miles on clock. Rejected the car.

Third car arrived. I was with asked manager as it drove into the car park  it was 30 yards away when I said to him, that car has been painted. Oh no, he said, because if the issues you have had  it’s been thoroughly inspected. 

waljed v up to the car and pointed out swirl barks all over the front end. Then pointed out the grey primer overspray on the scuttle and all over the engine bay. Sat in it and the egg ievttic windows didn’t wok.

Fourth car arrived. Clutch was odd, in neutral chatter from gearbox in nuetral.

just gave up in the end , they replaced clutch even though it was clearly the box. Kept it fir a whole and swapped it. 

Oh and there was a brxx as no new Elise I bought. Picked it up, drive from the N/W to Brands Hatch in the dark. Wife was really impressed to find the bottom of her trousers soaking wet from the puddle in her footwell. They eventually fixed it with an attractive line of black sealant where the sill met the floor inside and in full view of the cockpit!

Sorry for ranting on, but car dealers, even factory ones never instill confidence.

8 minutes ago, andygo said:

I’m a bit fussy maybe, but my approach generally is: I’ve given you circa 50,000 British pounds. They all work perfectly- no need to bring a few back to me because some of those pounds are only worth 25p. Why doesn’t the item you gave me in return work as described and  warranted?

back in 2004,I bought a new Honda Civic type R. Had a problem with the wheel off centre from day 1. Took It back, the garage revtified it. All good, but 2 days later it was off centre the other way. Got it sorted. After to img and firing several more times including back to the Honda factory in Swindon it still varied day by day. Eventually I was given a new car.

day 2 of ownership it rained, resulting in literally an inch of water on the drivers footwell. Took

it back and they swapped the windscreen. Next time it rained, drivers footwell swimming in water. Took it back and was told they would remove bonnet, wings, sills etc to try and fix. Car had 40 miles on clock. Rejected the car.

Third car arrived. I was with asked manager as it drove into the car park  it was 30 yards away when I said to him, that car has been painted. Oh no, he said, because if the issues you have had  it’s been thoroughly inspected. 

waljed v up to the car and pointed out swirl barks all over the front end. Then pointed out the grey primer overspray on the scuttle and all over the engine bay. Sat in it and the egg ievttic windows didn’t wok.

Fourth car arrived. Clutch was odd, in neutral chatter from gearbox in nuetral.

just gave up in the end , they replaced clutch even though it was clearly the box. Kept it fir a whole and swapped it. 

Oh and there was a brxx as no new Elise I bought. Picked it up, drive from the N/W to Brands Hatch in the dark. Wife was really impressed to find the bottom of her trousers soaking wet from the puddle in her footwell. They eventually fixed it with an attractive line of black sealant where the sill met the floor inside and in full view of the cockpit!

Sorry for ranting on, but car dealers, even factory ones never instill confidence.

Apologies for the spelling on my phone -tried to edit, but seemed to time out! Anyway, you’ll get the gist!😂

9 hours ago, ½cwt said:

How long have you had it?  The nuclear option is to discuss rejecting the vehicle as goods are not as sold....

Had the car since July 20th. Don’t want to reject the car, they are pretty hard to find and it’s only a battery that I’m whinging about. I’m sure it will get resolved soon enough…

15 hours ago, Paul P said:

Was the re gassing done at Porsche ?

I am wondering if you have another issue - stuck flap motors, stuck fan or a temp sensor issue that is affecting a/c and as such is causing the stop/start issue (assuming the car was told a new battery had been fitted - otherwise it will behave like the old one was still there. ) 

as per suggestion in the thread the “good to know” app will list the stop / start parameters.  And I am pretty sure “roof up/down” on its own isn’t one of them

Yes it was at Porsche - as it was serviced there as well a couple of weeks ago they had a good investigation - then re gassed it again so it works now but they said that I could return for further checks at any time to check for leaks - they added extra dye so they could spot easier any leak but were satisfied there wasn't any. Thanks

1 hour ago, andygo said:

Had the car since July 20th. Don’t want to reject the car, they are pretty hard to find and it’s only a battery that I’m whinging about. I’m sure it will get resolved soon enough…

Yes, but by even suggesting it, it might focus their mind on the fact it is also only a battery...

21 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Yes, but by even suggesting it, it might focus their mind on the fact it is also only a battery...

Ha, lets see what the supplying dealer has to say after my email.

Just looked at the battery display - its at 11.9v.

UgRZI1s.jpg

Edited by andygo

3 hours ago, andygo said:

Just looked at the battery display - its at 11.9v.

Do you have the car unlocked and the key in the ignition to see the display? If so then the volts will be lower as there is a drain on the battery as the modules are powered up, fuel pump primes and other things. The only way to reliable test the voltage of the battery is on the battery with everything disconnected. 

I had my multimeter on the battery positive terminal and with the negative probe touching the correct spot on the wiper assembly. There was 0.1v variation.

Somethings not right as the stop start fails to work and the likely culprit is the battery given it's six years old.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got my new battery fitted today by Porsche.

Amazingly, at rest it's showing 12.7v and the stop start works all the time.

Funny, that...  :)

Fair play to Mid Sussex Porsche for sorting it out though. Must say they have been great to deal with.

• Like 3

On 8/11/2022 at 9:34 AM, ½cwt said:

@andygo it was 'just' a battery then...  Excellent, glad its sorted.  Persistence often pays off.

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

@andygo it was 'just' a battery then...  Excellent, glad its sorted.  Persistence often pays off.

I think it was more than 'just a battery' though. It took nearly 2 hours to fit while I waited. Did see the battery conncted to a battery charger though, so I'm assuming most of that time was banging a load of charge into it whereas I have noted the preferred approach is to let them get charge into a new battery over a longer period of time before collection.

(It's awful being a Porsche anorak, lol!)

48 minutes ago, andygo said:

I think it was more than 'just a battery' though. It took nearly 2 hours to fit while I waited. Did see the battery conncted to a battery charger though, so I'm assuming most of that time was banging a load of charge into it whereas I have noted the preferred approach is to let them get charge into a new battery over a longer period of time before collection.

(It's awful being a Porsche anorak, lol!)

With non agm batteries they actually store them dry.  So want 48hrs to fill and charge the battery.  When I bought mine there were two line items in the invoice.  The battery and the acid.  

15 hours ago, Paul P said:

With non agm batteries they actually store them dry.  So want 48hrs to fill and charge the battery.  When I bought mine there were two line items in the invoice.  The battery and the acid.  

Thats what I thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Just as a final note to this thread, my stop start kicks in wihin 200 yards of leaving home from a cold start nowadays. Don't know about others experiences, but may be a rough barometer of your battery condition.

• Like 1

Mine is very temperamental. Sometimes it will activate after a few hundred yards, sometimes it won't even after 10 miles. Not sure if I still have the original battery in my 2012 S. I have only had it for the last 4 years, so don't know if it had been changed before that.

Is there a way to tell from some markings on the battery how old it is? I could see some numbers stamped on the negative terminal (39 12) which could be a date stamp, maybe week 39 2012 or 3/9/2012.

6 minutes ago, smartin said:

Mine is very temperamental. Sometimes it will activate after a few hundred yards, sometimes it won't even after 10 miles. Not sure if I still have the original battery in my 2012 S. I have only had it for the last 4 years, so don't know if it had been changed before that.

Is there a way to tell from some markings on the battery how old it is? I could see some numbers stamped on the negative terminal (39 12) which could be a date stamp, maybe week 39 2012 or 3/9/2012.

As you've correctly ascertained from the negative terminal, you have a week 39, 2012 battery, so it's done well :) 

Happy 10th Birthday 🎂 dear battery, that'll explain your issue.

Edited by iborguk

2 hours ago, smartin said:

Yep, same coding as on tyres.  week/year  ww/yy