Battery showing 11.9 volts at rest

andygo

My GTS is going to the Porsche dealers tomorrow am to rectify a couple of minor snags - Steering wheel off centre and the external triangular plastic trim piece thatas part of the door mirror and sits against the glass.

I have also noticed  the stop start function never works, even after a 150 mile drive. I enabled the volt meter on the dash display and it shows just 11.9v at rest, car not started. I think the battery is pooped.

Anybody had a 'discussion' with Porsche about this. I have had the car 3 weeks so its got plenty of my supplying Porsche dealers warranty left as well as 23 and a bit months Porsche warranty left.

I'd be asking for a new battery. One of the criteria for stop/start is enough power in the battery, if not enough it won't work. If indeed that is what is causing stop/start to be inoperable, they should be replacing the battery.

I wouldn't think the battery would be covered under the warranty, unless you ask them nicely for a "good will gesture"...?

My stop/start doesn't always work, but I find the car needs to be properly warmed up, which can take quite a while.  Also, if the air con is switched on, sometimes the stop start cuts in, but then the engine restarts again after a minute (which is probably normal, as I guess the air con uses quite a bit of power when the engine is not running).  I drove into Huntingdon today, maybe 30 mins journey time, and the stop/start didn't work on the way, but worked fine on the way home.  I usually ignore it, but now you've got me thinking I need to get the battery tested....... :lol:

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, andygo said:

My GTS is going to the Porsche dealers tomorrow am to rectify a couple of minor snags - Steering wheel off centre and the external triangular plastic trim piece thatas part of the door mirror and sits against the glass.

I have also noticed  the stop start function never works, even after a 150 mile drive. I enabled the volt meter on the dash display and it shows just 11.9v at rest, car not started. I think the battery is pooped.

Anybody had a 'discussion' with Porsche about this. I have had the car 3 weeks so its got plenty of my supplying Porsche dealers warranty left as well as 23 and a bit months Porsche warranty left.

Speak to the supplying dealer.

To see the voltage on the dash I'm guessing you have turned the key on, thus turning on all the electrics in the car, causing a drain, which would give you a lower voltage than it actually was. Mine shown 11.9v too when I do this.

Batteries are not normally covered under the warranty if they've degraded dues to age or lack of use. But be careful if someone offers to fit a non Porsche battery that any future electrical problems may not be covered by the warranty given its a non Porsche battery.

Well Porsche at Silverstone are part of the supplying dealer group. I'd image that battery going iffy after 3 weeks is covered by not only the Porsche warranty, but also obligations the supplying dealer has comply with under the SOG act (or whatever it's called these days!) In any case, the stop/start lack of activation needs addressing.

Happened on my previous 981 CS and a battery swap sorted it out.

1 hour ago, Davey P said:

I wouldn't think the battery would be covered under the warranty, unless you ask them nicely for a "good will gesture"...?

My stop/start doesn't always work, but I find the car needs to be properly warmed up, which can take quite a while.  Also, if the air con is switched on, sometimes the stop start cuts in, but then the engine restarts again after a minute (which is probably normal, as I guess the air con uses quite a bit of power when the engine is not running).  I drove into Huntingdon today, maybe 30 mins journey time, and the stop/start didn't work on the way, but worked fine on the way home.  I usually ignore it, but now you've got me thinking I need to get the battery tested....... :lol:

You can enable the battery level on the dash display, see here: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/cayenne-958/287666-what-does-your-voltage-reading-say-your-dash-display.html

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, andygo said:

That is brilliant, thanks very much for posting mate (every day's a school day around here) :thumbsup_still:

I will try this later, and post the results if I manage to make it work.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Davey P said:

reaching for the can or worms and deciding if I want to open it again. …..

My daily (focus) seems to enable stop start on the journey after a decent run (so if it’s not been doing it for a while , local short journeys and I then do a decent 50 mile run  it starts to work on the next cycle) similar to what you describe above  

There’s a number of variables that tell the car it’s ok to stop / start.  I think there’s a list somewhere but things like a/c demand, heated seats. Ambient temp, engine and oil temp all come into it as you say. 

There is also  “state of charge” of battery. That isn’t measured as such, it’s guessed at/calculated - which is why (for example ) ctek (other battery conditioners are available) is recommended to be connected between the battery and the chassis - so the module that works out what goes in the battery can see the ctek input. 

(here goes with the worms…..) the other thing that comes into play is if an old battery is replaced with a new one and the car is not “told” (coded) it’s a new one then it assumes nothing has changed and that it’s possibly not appropriate to stop the engine even if all the conditions are met because it *thinks* the battery might not be up to starting it again.  It also apparently doesn’t charge the battery on quite the same way as it would if it was new (this perhaps also contributes to the other variables) 

not unique to Porsche.  I have seen “new battery” routines in multi brand diag kit for many different brands (and have seen the difference in stop / start behaviour on a ford and a fiat 1st hand)   It’s almost as universal as electric handbrake withdrawal and abs bleeding in the list of functions available in smarter universal diag tools   

Not suggesting that it’s a root cause or even applicable to anything here but it is a consideration when trying to understand why stop / start “doesn’t”. 

Well, I followed the instructions on the link that @andygo posted, and 2 mins later I have an additional display showing the battery level:

20220809_111138

Mine showed 12.1V with the ignition off and the car cold, then it went up to 14.6V with the engine running, so I guess that means the battery is fine after all - woohoo! :thumbsup_still:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Davey P said:

Mine showed 12.1V with the ignition off and the car cold, then it went up to 14.6V with the engine running, so I guess that means the battery is fine after all - woohoo! :thumbsup_still:

The alternator is definitely good output but Batteries can struggle to hold onto volts as they get older in my experience. I had a volts related problem on the 996 that was not there when the car was used regularly and/or kept on a trickle charger. I changed the battery and touch wood, it’s fine now. I bought it in Costco and the man there told me to check the date on the battery as they appear to be like tyres - can be sat on the shelf for a while! 

1 hour ago, TV8 said:

The alternator is definitely good output but Batteries can struggle to hold onto volts as they get older in my experience. I had a volts related problem on the 996 that was not there when the car was used regularly and/or kept on a trickle charger. I changed the battery and touch wood, it’s fine now. I bought it in Costco and the man there told me to check the date on the battery as they appear to be like tyres - can be sat on the shelf for a while! 

I was told similar.  However, they also said “if dry stored” then not an issue - when I bought a battery from OPC I was surprised they itemised it as battery + acid and they wanted 48 hours notice to fill and charge the battery for me.  It felt a bit “old fashioned” but makes sense if they don’t ship volume and have stuff on shelves for a while. 

As expected, yesterday Porsche told me that my battery was fine, even hough it was at 11.7v yesterday morning.

I put the battery on a trickle charger yesterday afternoonan it maxed out, reading 'full' on the charger at 12.3v. Bit odd as the charger had unusually got quite hot. Just had a look at the votage now, and its dropped overnight to 12.1v.

Regardless of what Porsche say, a fully charged battery should show more than 12.3v surely?

I had a test done on my battery and was initially told it was 'ok' when I had a similar issue, a trickle charger boosted the voltage but it never held it so whilst their test said it was in range, it was replaced anyway and I've had no issues since.

Don't laugh but......

Take it to Halfords and get them to do a free battery test.  Not sure what kit Porsche uses but theirs has the ability to spot a dead or dying cell. Takes them 5 mins.

Did this for my daughters car and confirmed an issue with a particular cell.

No obligation to buy anything. 😁

44 minutes ago, andygo said:

As expected, yesterday Porsche told me that my battery was fine, even hough it was at 11.7v yesterday morning.

I put the battery on a trickle charger yesterday afternoonan it maxed out, reading 'full' on the charger at 12.3v. Bit odd as the charger had unusually got quite hot. Just had a look at the votage now, and its dropped overnight to 12.1v.

Regardless of what Porsche say, a fully charged battery should show more than 12.3v surely?

Then ask them why your stop/start is not working and tell them to repair it under warranty.

1 hour ago, Scubaregs said:

Then ask them why your stop/start is not working and tell them to repair it under warranty.

It had to happen at some point. I agree with this man! :)

I have had recent issues with Start/Stop not working and was told that they thought the battery was a little low even though I've never had an issue so I replaced it. However the start/stop did not still work with the roof up which was strange as it worked with the roof down. Porsche insisted this was correct to which I disagreed. After leaving it a few weeks I realised the air con was not as cool as it should have been even though I'd just had it re gassed so it went back in where they re gassed it again and checked for leaks - none found. 

On getting the car back - of course the Start/Stop worked with roof up as I expected - clearly the climate control was working hard to control the environment with roof up and it couldn't do it. With roof down its doesn't even try which is correct. Although the old battery was getting on I do believe this cost me an unnecessary battery but regardless of this it may give you another angle to think about.

Was the re gassing done at Porsche ?

I am wondering if you have another issue - stuck flap motors, stuck fan or a temp sensor issue that is affecting a/c and as such is causing the stop/start issue (assuming the car was told a new battery had been fitted - otherwise it will behave like the old one was still there. ) 

as per suggestion in the thread the “good to know” app will list the stop / start parameters.  And I am pretty sure “roof up/down” on its own isn’t one of them

I called Silverstone today to let them know the start stop wasn't working and general consensus was the battery is starting to pack it's bags and depart.

They said I could bring it in on 9th September - a month off- and have a courtesy car or call the supplying dealer - another member of the Sytner group and ask them to authorise the replacement. Their point was unless they could replicate the fault on site they couldn't swap a battery out, despite my photographic evidence. I said that it's no good banging the battery on a charge and saying the stop start works if by next morning its broken again.

Anyway, I have been a good patient and emailed the supplying dealership together with pix.. See what they say. I thought Porsche service was meant to be good.

https://imgur.com/L4GAFiE

Edited by andygo

11 minutes ago, andygo said:

I called Silverstone today to let them know the start stop wasn't working and general consensus was the battery is starting to pack it's bags and depart.

They said I could bring it in on 9th September - a month off- and have a courtesy car or call the supplying dealer - another member of the Sytner group and ask them to authorise the replacement. Their point was unless they could replicate the fault on site they couldn't swap a battery out, despite my photographic evidence. I said that it's no good banging the battery on a charge and saying the stop start works if by next morning its broken again.

Anyway, I have been a good patient and emailed the supplying dealership together with pix.. See what they say. I thought Porsche service was meant to be good.

https://imgur.com/L4GAFiE

Dash readout before going to dealers:

jBnM9X8.jpg

Battery charger saying "full"

L4GAFiE.jpg

voltage after 1 minute - fully charged?

VoOGLcM.jpg

Dash readout today, 24 hours after returning from dealers and 10 mins after 25 mile drive:

K8SLIoH.jpg

Stop start still not actiavating.

If you do not have a copy of the pre-purchase 111 point check, ask for it from the supplying dealer. This should have included a thorough check of the battery voltage and charging system.

1 hour ago, andygo said:

Dash readout before going to dealers:

jBnM9X8.jpg

Battery charger saying "full"

L4GAFiE.jpg

voltage after 1 minute - fully charged?

VoOGLcM.jpg

Dash readout today, 24 hours after returning from dealers and 10 mins after 25 mile drive:

K8SLIoH.jpg

Stop start still not actiavating.

I think just get it in front of the supplying dealer “not working” and go from there.

Ahead of that maybe a calm chat with the dealer principal , laying out it’s a recent purchase from them , what's wrong, that it’s taking the shine of ownership and ask what can they do to get it looked at sooner.

The warranty rules are if they can’t repro it they can’t fix it.

This is more about the thing you’ve just bought not working as it should out of the gate so the supplying dealer should be going the extra mile to sort imho.

Edited by iborguk

23 minutes ago, iborguk said:

I think just get it in front of the supplying dealer “not working” and go from there.

Ahead of that maybe a calm chat with the dealer principal , laying out it’s a recent purchase from them , what's wrong, that it’s taking the shine of ownership and ask what can they do to get it looked at sooner.

The warranty rules are if they can’t repro it they can’t fix it.

This is more about the thing you’ve just bought not working as it should out of the gate so the supplying dealer should be going the extra mile to sort imho.

I understand the warranty stance- frustrating as it it.

I have written a detailed email to the sales guy at the supplying dealer who I hope will get in the case. He seemed to be a really nice, straightforward guy, landed by some  off chance on the planet Porsche from the planet Normal. He was a friendly, normal bloke, really good to deal with!

Going back to that 111 point check, the tracking was way out apparently and I had to add 800 ml of oil to get it up to the required level. Remember 800ml is nearly 2 pints- that would make a big stain on your carpet, so not insignificant..

I suppose you could say garages are like rally drivers- always looking to cut corners!😎