Stop/Start Function.

Ringmaster999

Stop/Start Function.  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do.

• Always leave Stop/Start on.
    • Always turn Stop/Start off.
    • Always turn Sport mode on.

I like brake hold.  Daily has that (even though it’s a manual) and I goes a stage further - an extra “dab” on the brakes when stationary basically latches the brakes on.  Brake lights stay on and you can take your feet of the pedals.  It auto releases as you pull away.  It’s different from the handbrake in operation, and as you say.  Becomes 2nd nature.  

23 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Quite the opposite...  I have stop/stop on the daily and in that context it saves both emissions and fuel.  I make up for it a weekends in a 3.2 986 🤣

I'd imagine that stop/stop must be the ultimate fuel saver, literally no emissions ever.  Makes for slow progress though.

7 hours ago, moospeed said:

I'd imagine that stop/stop must be the ultimate fuel saver, literally no emissions ever.  Makes for slow progress though.

Placebo effect but the daily switches from “mpg” to gallons per hour (or whatever metric nonsense equals that) and when “stop” cuts in it reads zero - makes you think you are winning. 

On 8/12/2022 at 10:58 AM, GTSMarky said:

No brake hold on the 981

Puzzled by that. Thought it was standard. Both mine have had it. Release footbrake on hill and car stays put until you pull away, “hold” lights on dash. But I accept different manufacturers call it different things.

And I hate coasting, turn off stop/start to prevent it.

From the 981 Service Technik:

The Auto Start Stop button (1) switches the Auto Start Stop function on and off and activates and deactivates coasting mode. When the system is switched off, the indicator light in the button lights up red.

Prerequisites for coasting mode:
• Driving with selector lever in position D
• Coasting mode activated (indicator light in the button [1] off)
• Sport or Sport Plus mode deactivated
• PSM active
• Control cruise mode not active
• Engine, transmission and battery have reached operating temperature
• Relaxed/economic driving style
• Slight uphill or downhill gradient
• Remove foot slowly from accelerator pedal

From the description of PSM9.0 in the Technik:
The new standstill management function (Auto-hold function) prevents the vehicle from rolling back in the opposite direction to the desired driving direction. If the vehicle is braked to a stop on a gradient, the Auto-hold function is active and the required brake pressure is maintained via PSM. On vehicles with Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK), the Auto-hold function also holds the vehicle if the driver allows the vehicle to coast to a stop on a gradient. As soon as the vehicle comes to a stop without braking, the brake pressure is maintained via PSM for holding the vehicle on the gradient until it moves off again. The hold function is transferred to the electric parking brake after 5 minutes or if the system detects that the driver intends to leave the vehicle.

So it would seem like auto-hold would be standard on the 981.  I know that with my 982 I have to give the pedal a bit more pressure after I have come to a stop for it to engage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Richard Hamilton said:

From the 981 Service Technik:

The Auto Start Stop button (1) switches the Auto Start Stop function on and off and activates and deactivates coasting mode. When the system is switched off, the indicator light in the button lights up red.

Prerequisites for coasting mode:
• Driving with selector lever in position D
• Coasting mode activated (indicator light in the button [1] off)
• Sport or Sport Plus mode deactivated
• PSM active
• Control cruise mode not active
• Engine, transmission and battery have reached operating temperature
• Relaxed/economic driving style
• Slight uphill or downhill gradient
• Remove foot slowly from accelerator pedal

From the description of PSM9.0 in the Technik:
The new standstill management function (Auto-hold function) prevents the vehicle from rolling back in the opposite direction to the desired driving direction. If the vehicle is braked to a stop on a gradient, the Auto-hold function is active and the required brake pressure is maintained via PSM. On vehicles with Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK), the Auto-hold function also holds the vehicle if the driver allows the vehicle to coast to a stop on a gradient. As soon as the vehicle comes to a stop without braking, the brake pressure is maintained via PSM for holding the vehicle on the gradient until it moves off again. The hold function is transferred to the electric parking brake after 5 minutes or if the system detects that the driver intends to leave the vehicle.

So it would seem like auto-hold would be standard on the 981.  I know that with my 982 I have to give the pedal a bit more pressure after I have come to a stop for it to engage.

Sounds. not surprisingly, much as the system works on other VAG vehicles too.

On 8/14/2022 at 10:27 AM, BrianJ said:

Puzzled by that. Thought it was standard. Both mine have had it. Release footbrake on hill and car stays put until you pull away, “hold” lights on dash. But I accept different manufacturers call it different things.

And I hate coasting, turn off stop/start to prevent it.

OK, Agreed if you're on a hill and yes my BGTS does have hill hold but it definitely does not have brake hold on the flat.

My Wifes Mazda CX3 had a program on the on board computer screen which showed the mileage saved through stop start.

Over about 6 months it was around 5 miles of fuel😥

Always turn mine off at the same time as turning on PSE. Great ergonomics by Porsche having the two buttons next to each other🤣

5 hours ago, GTSMarky said:

..I live in Cambridgeshire, hence it doesn't come on much!!

And you won't need the Auto Hold function so much either if you have PDK. 😉

Just now, Stuart21UK said:

you mean hill hold? I have that on my manual too

No, Auto Hold.  When you stop with a PDK/DSG you just press a bit more on the brake pedal and the car sits there brakes on, and engine off if appropriate conditions for the Start/Stop, then moves of when you apply power again, and even starts the engine when it detects that the car in front moves if the Start Stop has switch the engine off.

Read second part of Richard Hamilton's post...

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

No, Auto Hold.  When you stop with a PDK/DSG you just press a bit more on the brake pedal and the car sits there brakes on, and engine off if appropriate conditions for the Start/Stop, then moves of when you apply power again, and even starts the engine when it detects that the car in front moves if the Start Stop has switch the engine off.

Read second part of Richard Hamilton's post...

Not in a 981 it doesn't, only on a slope..

11 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Its a direct quote from the Porsche workshop manuals...

Bit of a thread hijack - do you have anything in your Porsche manual referring  to battery voltages by any chance?

• Like 1