Stop/Start Function.  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do.

• Always leave Stop/Start on.
    • Always turn Stop/Start off.
    • Always turn Sport mode on.

Because mine was originally under warranty, I selected the third option:  

Remember last setting

And strangely enough whenever it came back from the OPC the start/stop had been turned back off.

Sadly there are no such options for the PSE

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T24RES said:

I too have mine coded to ' remember last setting' which is usually off. Unless you are playing the mpg game.

Who and how was this done please? This is something I'd like as I hate the infernal stop start annoyance on the Boxster and the Macan.

You need the Porsche laptop diagnostics to be able to access the car's computer menus.

Your OPC can, but wont. 

Most Indi's will , especially if they are already working on the car.

Or find an enthusiast with a dureametric - there is a thread somewhere or it's on the map to find the nearest I can't remember now.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patt said:

You need the Porsche laptop diagnostics to be able to access the car's computer menus.

Your OPC can, but wont. 

Most Indi's will , especially if they are already working on the car.

Or find an enthusiast with a dureametric - there is a thread somewhere or it's on the map to find the nearest I can't remember now.  

Durametric pro can't code 981's . I upgraded to a PIWIS2. Check the map for local members with one. Beer tokens usually covers it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, andy_l said:

On if pootling about.

Off if pressing on.

This for me as well - for mooching / motorway / city driving then usually it's on full default mode, even automatic.

When the country lane appears then Sports or Sports+, flick over to manual.  To my mind that method encapsulates what this car is about, it's not a hardcore sport car and it's not a GT - but it does both those functions well so why not take advantage of that switchability?

I love the coasting mode, or whatever it's called, gliding maybe?  In fact I've started doing it manually myself in the wife's Qashqai now, there's a regular 2 mile downhill I go on and I'm always in neutral and tickling the brakes on the way (speed limit).

The 718 Cayman I had for a day I noticed they'd changed a couple of things.  It didn't do the coasting which I thought was a shame, but the engine cut was more clever - in traffic it switched off as you approach the back of the queue rather than waiting for stationary.  I don't know what rules it works to, and it sounds problematic in theory but in practice it was very clever.  Didn't get it wrong once in the few hundred miles I did.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, moospeed said:

The 718 Cayman I had for a day I noticed they'd changed a couple of things.  It didn't do the coasting which I thought was a shame, but the engine cut was more clever - in traffic it switched off as you approach the back of the queue rather than waiting for stationary.  I don't know what rules it works to, and it sounds problematic in theory but in practice it was very clever.  Didn't get it wrong once in the few hundred miles I did.

Can't speak for the 981 as I've never driven one but stop/start doesn't annoy me in mine, "just works" (well for me....)

• Thanks 1

Just now, Scubaregs said:

The 718 does decouple the drive under certain conditions, so the "coasting" feature is certainly there. 

Yeah, as mentioned, it does it in traffic when it cuts the engine as you coast up to the back of the car in front.

It didn't do it down hills, on motorways, etc. like the 981 which is great, very sensitive, almost works like "do I need to have the throttle open at all to maintain progress?".  Clever systems, I'm all for it if it saves the planet without ruining the clutches.

I thought for the 718 PDK re Coast to engage it was slowly remove your foot from the accelerator pedal to rise or repeatedly tap on the upshift to engage.

Seem to remember that from the "Good to Know" Porsche app.

Edited by iborguk

I always turn stop/start off as soon as I start the car, same in the wife’s VW Golf.

I can’t believe this Stop/Start doesn’t shorten battery and starter motor life, even though they say that both are  built to take it! Just my 2p’s worth.
I’m guessing a 981 starter motor ain’t cheap!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Green Genie said:

I always turn stop/start off as soon as I start the car, same in the wife’s VW Golf.

I can’t believe this Stop/Start doesn’t shorten battery and starter motor life, even though they say that both are  built to take it! Just my 2p’s worth.
I’m guessing a 981 starter motor ain’t cheap!

No, its not, because it is beefed up for more engine cranking that pre stop/start cars... 🤔

Not got direct experience of the Porsche system but I imagine the control system is much the same as in VAG cars.  Down hill coast is not always and it also doesn't stop if there is high demand on the a/c system as teh compressor needs to run.  Also when I put the DGS in Sport it stops the stop/start, so you have it for pootling but it is off when you choose Sport.  The thing I do turn off immediately every time in the daily is Lane Assist.  That really winds me up.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

No, its not, because it is beefed up for more engine cranking that pre stop/start cars... 🤔

Yes that is also my understanding, but I still feel that in town Stop/Start in constant traffic (rush hour) will shorten the lifespan of the starter just by the fact it’s being used more. Imagine how long a beefed up one would last without Stop/Start on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Green Genie said:

Yes that is also my understanding, but I still feel that in town Stop/Start in constant traffic (rush hour) will shorten the lifespan of the starter just by the fact it’s being used more. Imagine how long a beefed up one would last without Stop/Start on.

Too long for them to sell you another one, so not beefed up if no stop/start and it would cost them more too.  sorry I'm being too cynical.

Just now, Green Genie said:

Not at all, we all have opinions on tech overload on our cars.

Hope I’ve not offended you 😊

Quite the opposite...  I have stop/stop on the daily and in that context it saves both emissions and fuel.  I make up for it a weekends in a 3.2 986 🤣

I have stop start on the daily.  No issue with it.  I sometimes turn it off in crawling traffic because it’s pointless for 3 seconds each time.  Rest of the time at traffic lights etc. it’s fine.  

i had a 718 pdk loaner with it once.  I did find it a bit keen to switch off, I was manoeuvring out a car park space a bit carefully and pretty much as soon as I stopped to check I wasn’t going to clip something it stopped.  I found that a bit of a pain. 

thinking about it perhaps on an auto / pdk it’s a bit more intrusive.  In a manual it’s “stationary, neutral. Foot off clutch” in the pdk it’s “stopped” so I can see it being less “invisible”. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paul P said:

I have stop start on the daily.  No issue with it.  I sometimes turn it off in crawling traffic because it’s pointless for 3 seconds each time.  Rest of the time at traffic lights etc. it’s fine.  

i had a 718 pdk loaner with it once.  I did find it a bit keen to switch off, I was manoeuvring out a car park space a bit carefully and pretty much as soon as I stopped to check I wasn’t going to clip something it stopped.  I found that a bit of a pain. 

thinking about it perhaps on an auto / pdk it’s a bit more intrusive.  In a manual it’s “stationary, neutral. Foot off clutch” in the pdk it’s “stopped” so I can see it being less “invisible”. 

I just let it do it's thing and I've grown to trust it's behaviour. That and brake "hold" took a little adjustment but I don't even think about them now.

• Like 1