"GTS" vs "S" depreciation prediction

dpg123

Hi guys,

So, thinking of a 981 and looking at a GTS or an S.

I've seen an amazing GTS on for £52k (2015, 28k miles) which is super spec'd.

I've also seen a nice S (2015, 44k miles for £38k)

Given the large difference in price, I'm trying to work out what would be the better buy over 4-5 years. Am I likely to lose more on the GTS than the S over that period or would a GTS hold it's value enough to justify the difference?

Thoughts please!

I went from an early S to a 2016 GTS in July.

Obviously the GTS cost a lot more, but long term I'm hoping the GTS will suffer less from depreciation as well as being a nicer place to be in the meantime. At the end of the day, it's a guessing game. I paid £53K for my GTS with 25,000 miles from an OPC, with 2 years warranty and nicely loaded. I think for the money you are paying, a 2016  car should be doable.

Do you want the extras the GTS offers?

I've had my BGTS now for >5 years and I'm very glad I bought it when I did.  Would I be feeling any different had I bought an S - don't know is the honest answer.

For me the GTS sparkles make the car what it is.

Do some man maths by all means, but you'll know if you really want it or not.

GTS will have less depreciation, doubt they will fall under £40k, unless high miles.

S prices have already dropped and will do further next year as the 718's fall further. (Just do a VRM check on some on sale from AT on WBAC, prices have fallen drastically)

In general GTS and Spyder models will always command good returns.

Just on the maths, 10% off the GTS is slightly less cash amount as 15% off the S, if at 15% and 20%, then the S loses fractionally less cash.  Depends how much more % you think a S might go down than an GTS, plus also the amount of extra cash you tie up in GTS in the first place...

Your money, your enjoyment, your call.

We are now in an era where you can get 5% on a five year savings account, so the GTS would have to depreciate almost £4K less than the S if you have the cash lying around to buy it. If you’re borrowing then it will be more. From a purely cash POV I don’t think the less depreciation logic stacks up in general, although in this case it may as you mention that the GTS is fully loaded and if you keep the miles low it could be much more desirable than a fairly average S.

8 hours ago, dpg123 said:

Hi guys,

So, thinking of a 981 and looking at a GTS or an S.

I've seen an amazing GTS on for £52k (2015, 28k miles) which is super spec'd.

I've also seen a nice S (2015, 44k miles for £38k)

Given the large difference in price, I'm trying to work out what would be the better buy over 4-5 years. Am I likely to lose more on the GTS than the S over that period or would a GTS hold it's value enough to justify the difference?

Thoughts please!

If it is the RPM car, it has no climate control, and I'm not sure about the brown leather steering wheel and dash.

I prefer an alcantara interior, it really elevates the GTS interior 

But if you like it - then go for it!

I think that overall cost of ownership will be similar. GTS is likely to maintain its price advantage so ultimately if you can afford the extra and buy well you won’t lose much more than buying a cheaper S.

if you have better things to do with that extra £10-£15k then the S is still a brilliant car without that cherry on top.  

• Like 1

OP, you need firstly to decide if you want the Alcantara trim.

If you do then the GTS is your only option.

I have the  Alcantara in my Macan GTS and love it, but prefer leather in the Boxster. If you, like me, prefer the leather in a Boxster then I would look to finding a full specced S and save the money. I wouldn't buy a GTS that has been specced to look like an S with leather and without the GTS wheels.

• Like 1

Having owned an PDK S for about 8 years I went out looking for a PDK GTS about this time last year. I was surprised and disappointed that so many GTSs were poorly specified. Most didn’t have dual zone climate, electrically folding mirrors, etc and none I could find had reversing camera (vital for where I live). A 2016 GTS was typically £8-10k more than a similarly spec’d S of similar miles, condition and age. After a few GTS test drives over representative roads I couldn’t detect much difference compared to my S. After several months of looking I found a stonking lowish mileage 2016 S with everything I wanted and more (incl PASM, PSE, PDLS, fancy stitching etc) being sold with 2.5 years of Porsche warranty by an OPC for £10k less than a privately-owned GTS with more miles and much less warranty which appeared shortly afterwards. I couldn’t justify a GTS with that differential and have never regretted choosing this particular S. But everyone is different!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

No real difference in depreciation, prices for both cars are linked with one another, buy the car you prefer.

I think you would be brave to pay 50k plus for a GTS imho but if they fall the S will do the same so what does it matter.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

If it is the RPM car, it has no climate control, and I'm not sure about the brown leather steering wheel and dash.

It is indeed that car. I like alcantara or leather. I actually really like the interior of that particular car. Wheel wise, I'd probably prefer the GTS wheels but the ones on it are also nice. Perhaps do a swap at a later date. 

Is climate control an essential? I can't believe cars at this level are even sold without!

18 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

I think its agate grey dash with pebble seats. Very nice combo but agree its not suited to the GTS

57 minutes ago, dpg123 said:

It is indeed that car. I like alcantara or leather. I actually really like the interior of that particular car. Wheel wise, I'd probably prefer the GTS wheels but the ones on it are also nice. Perhaps do a swap at a later date. 

Is climate control an essential? I can't believe cars at this level are even sold without!

Then this is a forum members car, which is always good.

If you search the for sale section you will see it.

Also a lot of information on this forum about everything he has done to it and you could PM him and chat about it.

1 hour ago, dpg123 said:

Wheel wise, I'd probably prefer the GTS wheels but the ones on it are also nice.

Is there a GTS wheel? Mine has the sports techno's and the RPM car has the Turbo style wheels. Also a bigger front brake kit added just in case you were thinking of getting a Porsche warranty on it

46 minutes ago, dpg123 said:

Which GTS wheels do you mean?

I prefer the turbo wheels on that agate GTS, so if you buy it and wish to do a wheel swop, please let me know!

51 minutes ago, JurassicGTS said:

Then this is a forum members car, which is always good.

If you search the for sale section you will see it.

Also a lot of information on this forum about everything he has done to it and you could PM him and chat about it.

Oh, amazing!! I've PM'd them...thanks!!

The forum delivers once again!!

1 hour ago, GTSMarky said:

RPM Technik have some nice cars!

For me lack of the GTS interior in the BGTS is a shame as otherwise a really nice car.  I do like the 6 pots too & quite what the header upgrade is I've no idea, but if it does actually sound better (louder) then why not.

As long as you don't want to put a Porsche warranty on it though!